Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around for similar questions but couldn't find it on here. So I am currently in the process of buying a new engine. And I've been looking on eBay and car-part for an older 2.0 from an Escape, Taurus, Fusion. Is there anything else needed for the swap? Or can I just buy say a 2014 escape engine and swap it directly into the car? Do I need a new wiring harness? If someone has done a swap from one of these models. And has some info that they would like to share, I'm all ears!

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
I looked around for similar questions but couldn't find it on here. So I am currently in the process of buying a new engine. And I've been looking on eBay and car-part for an older 2.0 from an Escape, Taurus, Fusion. Is there anything else needed for the swap? Or can I just buy say a 2014 escape engine and swap it directly into the car? Do I need a new wiring harness? If someone has done a swap from one of these models. And has some info that they would like to share, I'm all ears!
The oil cooler from your ST's engine block will need to go onto the new motor if it's not out of another ST, and the intake manifold may need to be switched also.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Is there anything else needed for the swap? Or can I just buy say a 2014 escape engine and swap it directly into the car? Do I need a new wiring harness?
I've not done a swap, but to answer these questions, this guy has! Looks like he swapped over his oil filter housing, a/c compressor mount and coolant temp sensor housing and it otherwise bolted into place.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
A little more searching dug up this post. Guy snapped a connecting rod and swapped his engine. He did a nice little write-up of the gotcha moments he ran into during the process. Just gonna go ahead and add this to my own bookmark bar here...

Reactions: 20XX and PDXslowboi

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Why don't you just go to Mountune and get a 2.0 or 2.3 liter short block with upgraded internals? It's like 4k but probably worth it if you are planning on keeping the car long term and as a track day car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why don't you just go to Mountune and get a 2.0 or 2.3 liter short block with upgraded internals? It's like 4k but probably worth it if you are planning on keeping the car long term and as a track day car
I was tempted to just save a little bit longer and just purchase a small block from speed performance or mountune. But after shopping around and asking different shops what the price would be for labor included. I was looking at probably spending well over 6 grand all said and done. And, for a college student, that is just way out of my budget. That would involve me dipping into savings which I don't think would be the best idea. As of right now, I got a buddy that works on Fords and will do the swap for a grand. I just need to source the engine. Which should be easy to find for under $1000. I would love to have a nice quality built engine but it just isn't feasible for me atm. I just need the car back on the road ASAP. It's unfortunate because if I knew how badly the previous owners trashed the car I would have never bought it. Live and learn....

·
Registered
163 Posts
A little more searching dug up this post. Guy snapped a connecting rod and swapped his engine. He did a nice little write-up of the gotcha moments he ran into during the process. Just gonna go ahead and add this to my own bookmark bar here...
Hey, that’s me! I’m still around if OP has questions but at this point it sounds like he needs to do a bit more reading. There are several good threads that discuss this topic.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Hey, that’s me! I’m still around if OP has questions but at this point it sounds like he needs to do a bit more reading. There are several good threads that discuss this topic.
Thanks for the thorough write up! I'm sure when my engine eventually gives out, I'll be using your info.

Reactions: ThnxSVT

·
Registered
102 Posts
That write up is definitely a good go to!
I think the only things I did different was I didn't disconnect the AC condenser because I didn't want to deal with Louisiana heat and I swapped on the st idler pulley. I can't quite remember why I swapped it on, but I'm sure I had a good reason lol. I'll see about adding some pictures.

If you are going to run the turbo on your car don't forget to get a gasket kit! I used this one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That write up is definitely a good go to!
I think the only things I did different was I didn't disconnect the AC condenser because I didn't want to deal with Louisiana heat and I swapped on the st idler pulley.
That’s good to know on the A/C condenser. After the swap I had wondered if it’d be possible to avoid purging the A/C system and not have to disconnect the condenser. Based on what you’re saying it sounds like it’s doable, and would have saved me the $125 or so that I paid the stealership to recharge the A/C.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That’s good to know on the A/C condenser. After the swap I had wondered if it’d be possible to avoid purging the A/C system and not have to disconnect the condenser. Based on what you’re saying it sounds like it’s doable, and would have saved me the $125 or so that I paid the stealership to recharge the A/C.
Yeah, I basically just sat it on a chair and moved it to the side. It will move pretty far to the side, enough to where you can put a crane in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts