Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to do a break upgrade. A guy don't have money for brembos or wilwoods. But i know i want someting other then stock, just cause drilled slotted rotors look so cool. Anyone use any of these or know anything about them?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts
I've got the powerstops with the z23 pads on the front of the ST, Front of my 96 mustang, rear of my f150, and front/rear of my 11 mustang. My wife runs the OE powerstops on her Cruze. They've been great brakes and ill continue To buy them.

EBC is obviously Going to be the best performing Choice. And i cant speak from personal Experience With the stoptech. But you probably wont be disappointed with any of those choices.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the powerstops with the z23 pads on the front of the ST, Front of my 96 mustang, rear of my f150, and front/rear of my 11 mustang. My wife runs the OE powerstops on her Cruze. They've been great brakes and ill continue To buy them.

EBC is obviously Going to be the best performing Choice. And i cant speak from personal Experience With the stoptech. But you probably wont be disappointed with any of those choices.
Thanks man i was just looking around and those 3 stood out to me. They look good and are pretty affordable for what they are.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I was going to do the bigger rear upgrades, would the EBC be a good choice for equipment or should I stick to Motorcraft or...?

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
If I was going to do the bigger rear upgrades, would the EBC be a good choice for equipment or should I stick to Motorcraft or...?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bigger is always better. Just tossing around the idea of this my self. Cause i like look of drilled sloted rotors. At the end of the day anything is gonna be better the stock breaks from a prefomace stand point.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts
Bigger is always better. Just tossing around the idea of this my self. Cause i like look of drilled sloted rotors. At the end of the day anything is gonna be better the stock breaks from a prefomace stand point.
The thing is, this Car is 3200lb and has brake rotors the same size of the fronts on my 6,300lb f150. So short of doing 140mph road course racing, lets be real, the stock brake setup is more than enough.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
398 Posts
Different pads will net the largest difference in braking ability. Also keep in mind that if your current brakes can lock the tires on a hard stop then bigger and badder brakes will just do that more easily. Your tires are determining stopping distance at that point, not your brakes.

If you're racing then bigger discs can help keep heat down so the brakes function at their best, otherwise it's just an appearance mod for what most of us use these cars for.

If you want a more aggressive feel for your brakes just put in some autocross pads. Stay away from race pads as they like to be warm before biting. Autocross pads work well when cold and that is important for any street driven car. I usually do this on my cars so I don't have to use as much pedal pressure to get my desired braking force, easier to heel toe and all that. I had EBC red stuff in my Mustang and they were a good compromise of no noise, good bite and good cold performance.

Anyone who feels that the brakes on their ST aren't good enough needs to do a fluid flush and look at the pads and rotors. Old fluid will cause a "mushy pedal" and loss of stopping performance. Also if you're using the cheapest pads or low dust pads they usually aren't great from a performance standpoint. Get some quality pads (even OEM) and service your brake system. Brake fluid flushes should happen every 50k miles or sooner in my opinion, especially if you drive the car hard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Different pads will net the largest difference in braking ability. Also keep in mind that if your current brakes can lock the tires on a hard stop then bigger and badder brakes will just do that more easily. Your tires are determining stopping distance at that point, not your brakes.

If you're racing then bigger discs can help keep heat down so the brakes function at their best, otherwise it's just an appearance mod for what most of us use these cars for.

If you want a more aggressive feel for your brakes just put in some autocross pads. Stay away from race pads as they like to be warm before biting. Autocross pads work well when cold and that is important for any street driven car. I usually do this on my cars so I don't have to use as much pedal pressure to get my desired braking force, easier to heel toe and all that. I had EBC red stuff in my Mustang and they were a good compromise of no noise, good bite and good cold performance.

Anyone who feels that the brakes on their ST aren't good enough needs to do a fluid flush and look at the pads and rotors. Old fluid will cause a "mushy pedal" and loss of stopping performance. Also if you're using the cheapest pads or low dust pads they usually aren't great from a performance standpoint. Get some quality pads (even OEM) and service your brake system. Brake fluid flushes should happen every 50k miles or sooner in my opinion, especially if you drive the car hard.
Thanks for your input i dont do crazy stuff with it at best i just drive it once or so a week was really just wanting to do this cause think that it looks cool with drilled sloted rotors

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing is, this Car is 3200lb and has brake rotors the same size of the fronts on my 6,300lb f150. So short of doing 140mph road course racing, lets be real, the stock brake setup is more than enough.
Yea i noticed that the car has bigger front and rear rotors then my friends dodge ram

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
398 Posts
Thanks for your input i dont do crazy stuff with it at best i just drive it once or so a week was really just wanting to do this cause think that it looks cool with drilled sloted rotors
You do you. Just don't want anyone spending big money on brakes for no added value to them (whether that's performance or looks). Big brakes definitely look cool, and the better pedal feel is also nice.

I'm probably going to do the RS rear brake swap whenever it's time to change them, purely just to fill out the wheels a little more.

I would also get coated rotors, they'll at least look nicer longer than uncoated. I've used the ones with black coating and it holds up well, I know some use a clear coating as well. Hides all that nasty rust.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
ive been waiting for a spell check nazi to chime in lmfao 🧠

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
how do you spell tomato??

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
toe mae toe

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,440 Posts
'maters...

get it right. ;)

Reactions: 20focusSTdriver17

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
Made an adjustment to the title for those with OCD about spelling.

Reactions: 20focusSTdriver17
1 - 20 of 28 Posts