Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I am looking at at blue 2013 ST with the ST3 package, so it has those really nice leather Recaros, I like them a lot, plus all the other goodies, dual climate, Ford MyTouch (or whatever it is) and Navi, but before Park Assist came along. Anyway, its got 50k miles on it, new 235/40R18 Goodyear Asymetrics, and he wants $17k for it. He needs to pay off his lien, but I do not know what he has left to pay for it. I will buy it from him with cash.
I am wondering, it is technically the first model year, is it something to stay away from or decent for the price, it is in excellent shape he has taken good care of it.
Also, it seems there is plenty to mod it with, is 2013 an ok year, sometimes the first year there isnt as much or they change things so there is not much compatible with it.

So, any help would be... helpful.

Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Hey all,

So I am looking at at blue 2013 ST with the ST3 package, so it has those really nice leather Recaros, I like them a lot, plus all the other goodies, dual climate, Ford MyTouch (or whatever it is) and Navi, but before Park Assist came along. Anyway, its got 50k miles on it, new 235/40R18 Goodyear Asymetrics, and he wants $17k for it. He needs to pay off his lien, but I do not know what he has left to pay for it. I will buy it from him with cash.
I am wondering, it is technically the first model year, is it something to stay away from or decent for the price, it is in excellent shape he has taken good care of it.
Also, it seems there is plenty to mod it with, is 2013 an ok year, sometimes the first year there isnt as much or they change things so there is not much compatible with it.

Thanks, Jim
2013 ST2 owner here, since day 1. No issues for me, just take care of it with maintenance. I've been modded for 90% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks, Jim
Honestly, that's too much money. Not being a dreamcrusher but people on here are getting 2017 ST1 (base model without nice seats and stuff or nicer stereo) for $19k. I know you would have to live without the seats and nice stereo, but a 2017 for 2k more than a used and probably abused 13? Eh..

Use what I just told you and offer him like 14.5-15k and see what happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks, Jim
I bought my red 2013 ST2 back in June. I ended up buying mine as a certified pre-owned from a dealer. After taxes and "extended" warranty with gap insurance blah blah blah... I paid $16,400 and 63486 on the odometer (California if it matters). I didn't do any research, didn't even know I wanted the car(I forgot they existed). It was on the lot and I had to have it. Honestly, I am more than happy with the car. After about a month I wondered if I paid too much so I looked at area dealerships, found other CPO's that were newer and less miles for 17-18+ but most were ST1's and that's more than I wanted to spend. If it get's to me I've already started making plans to trade in (and up) when I refinance, but this car is awesome.

·
Registered
463 Posts
He's asking way too much.

I just bought a certified preowned(incl 12mo/12kmi bumper to bumper and 100k/7yr from new powertrain warranty) 2014 ST3 with 26k miles for 17.4 plus TTL.

I'd offer 12 and negotiate to 14k tops and walk if he doesn't take it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
He's asking way too much.

I just bought a certified preowned(incl 12mo/12kmi bumper to bumper and 100k/7yr from new powertrain warranty) 2014 ST3 with 26k miles for 17.4 plus TTL.

I'd offer 12 and negotiate to 14k tops and walk if he doesn't take it.
Actually yeah, despite what I said above this sounds better realistically. I don't even know how he still owes 17k on it...like he had to have paid wayyy too much when he first bought it lol. If he bought it new then it's been at least 4 years...it should be more than 50% paid off. He's either lying to you or got ripped.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Sounds like what ever he traded to get it had a ton of neg equity and he wants you to pay for his f up.

Reactions: JeffKill

·
Registered
151 Posts
I paid $17k plus gap insurance/TTL for my 2013 ST3 with 42k on it last sept. I'd try and get him down to at least 15. There's ST3s going for $26k & change around here.

Is it a virgin ST or does it have mods?

·
Administrator
11,852 Posts
13's have some quirks here and there. Wiring harness ground issues, well all ST's suffer from terrible grounds due to paint.

The biggest change was the fact that they had the tiny 12.6" rotors. Gross, lol

Different steering wheel controls as well. Which I kinda like better than the 14's.

Still way too much money.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Brand new 2017 ST1, $18,249. So far my a$$ hasn't fallen through the cloth seats. I'll report back if it happens.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Paid less than $2k more for an ST1 in Texas. Originally looked at used but everyone was asking 16-17k for four year old cars. It just didn't make sense to go used for me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I paid $17k plus gap insurance/TTL for my 2013 ST3 with 42k on it last sept. I'd try and get him down to at least 15. There's ST3s going for $26k & change around here.

Is it a virgin ST or does it have mods?
No mods

I will try to talk him down. It seems to be the best option, there aren't too many choices out here, and they are relatively expensive, but I should be able to talk him down. There is a practically brand new '16 ST1 with only 17k miles on it for $17995. I do -l o v e- those all leather Recaros though. Are the non all leather Recaros just as supportive, cause I think the driver seat is spectacular. I thought the driver seat on my Miata was great when I owned my 2000 Maxima SE. Then I thought, holy crap that is nothing, my '09 Civic Si has great driver seat.
Now, really the FoST full leather Recaro puts it to shame. I am all about it. I did realize after I got the Civic I had to be a lot more careful backing up. I thought it was me, well it was, but really it was because the seat restricted my movement to turn around.
My wife has a mini van with a back up camera, I refuse to look at it. There is something completely counter intuitive about looking forward when you are backing up.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Jim

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
No mods

I will try to talk him down. It seems to be the best option, there aren't too many choices out here, and they are relatively expensive, but I should be able to talk him down. There is a practically brand new '16 ST1 with only 17k miles on it for $17995. I do -l o v e- those all leather Recaros though. Are the non all leather Recaros just as supportive, cause I think the driver seat is spectacular. I thought the driver seat on my Miata was great when I owned my 2000 Maxima SE. Then I thought, holy crap that is nothing, my '09 Civic Si has great driver seat.
Now, really the FoST full leather Recaro puts it to shame. I am all about it. I did realize after I got the Civic I had to be a lot more careful backing up. I thought it was me, well it was, but really it was because the seat restricted my movement to turn around.
My wife has a mini van with a back up camera, I refuse to look at it. There is something completely counter intuitive about looking forward when you are backing up.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Jim
The partial leather Recaros (ST2 package) offer the same support as the full leathers. I've never sat in the non Recaro's (ST1 package) so can't say how they are.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I too, think the price is on the higher side for a '13. He should not expect to get the same that a dealer would ask for a similar car, as he is a private seller. It makes absolutely NO difference how much he owes on the car, that's his problem.

I also found the asking prices of used ST's to be too high, pushing me to purchase a new one. Most of the people selling them wanted me to pay off their loan, but I was only looking to buy their car, not their stupidity. I have seen better deals on used ones on here than on Craigslist, but they are usually far away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can someone tell me how the ownership of the Navigation system works? If the previous owner paid for it, it will last until it expires, and then I would have to start paying for it. I would have to get in touch with Ford to make that happen? Technically he could cancel at anything and get some of his money back, and then it would stop working and I would have to contact Ford?

I just don't want to pay for it not knowing that it is paid for by the previous owner.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, is there no cool down necessary for the Focus ST? Do I need to let the car run for 30 seconds to get cooler oil into the turbo so it doesn't coke up in there?

Last turbo I had was attached to an '87 Shelby GLH-S, you had to let some cooler oil circulate. My friend has a 2009 I think, MS3, he lets it cool down, just like his previous 02 WRX wagon.

I heard you don't need to do that with the Focus ST.

Thanks,

JimL

·
Registered
455 Posts
Also, is there no cool down necessary for the Focus ST? Do I need to let the car run for 30 seconds to get cooler oil into the turbo so it doesn't coke up in there?

Last turbo I had was attached to an '87 Shelby GLH-S, you had to let some cooler oil circulate. My friend has a 2009 I think, MS3, he lets it cool down, just like his previous 02 WRX wagon.

I heard you don't need to do that with the Focus ST.

Thanks,

JimL
Its a good habit to get into, i do it with mine and every other turbo motor i operate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can someone tell me how the ownership of the Navigation system works? If the previous owner paid for it, it will last until it expires, and then I would have to start paying for it. I would have to get in touch with Ford to make that happen? Technically he could cancel at anything and get some of his money back, and then it would stop working and I would have to contact Ford?

I just don't want to pay for it not knowing that it is paid for by the previous owner.

Thanks, Jim
There is no subscription aspect to the navigation system. If the car is equipped with navigation and there is an SD memory card (containing the map data) inserted, then it works. Otherwise not. The map data does go out of date over time so it may occasionally be beneficial to purchase updated maps. The only subscription aspect is optional - Sirius XM offers traffic information which the nav system can take into account. But this isn't required and the nav system operates fine without it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fordb,

Thats what I thought, and you are right, I have no problem getting into that habit again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts