Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
And how many watts does it claim on the magnet? The paper ones are a joke, that looks maybe decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both the paper and the other claim 25watts max, so three out of the four are not paper.

Very strange what the factory tries to get away with

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

And how many watts does it claim on the magnet? The paper ones are a joke, that looks maybe decent.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the paper cone is definitely the wrong speaker for a sony system, all four of mine that I pulled out matched your other three. since that paper speaker is a dual cone style, maybe it is the speaker that is supposed to go in a non Sony focus (no rear tweeters)

·
Registered
772 Posts
the paper cone is definitely the wrong speaker for a sony system, all four of mine that I pulled out matched your other three. since that paper speaker is a dual cone style, maybe it is the speaker that is supposed to go in a non Sony focus (no rear tweeters)
This is correct. That speaker is for a non-Sony system.

FWIW, that is a reinforced paper speaker with a 'Whizzer' cone, said to help direct high frequencies outward from the center of the speaker.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds like an assembly-line screw-up. Looks like they put in the speakers from a base Focus (SE). Unless you are upgrading them, go to dealer for replacement.

·
Registered
216 Posts
OP. What did you upgrade to? If you did indeed upgrade, how do the new speakers sound compared to the stock? You running the stock head unit?

·
Registered
772 Posts
OP. What did you upgrade to? If you did indeed upgrade, how do the new speakers sound compared to the stock? You running the stock head unit?
The biggest problem with the stock speakers is the stock Sony amp. That amp is absolute trash. Removing it should be top priority for any stereo upgrade.

Put some clean, unmolested power to the Sony speakers and the sound improves dramatically.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The biggest problem with the stock speakers is the stock Sony amp. That amp is absolute trash. Removing it should be top priority for any stereo upgrade.

Put some clean, unmolested power to the Sony speakers and the sound improves dramatically.
I've got an ST1, do I have the Sony setup? If so, where is the stock amp located?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No, you do not have the Sony.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So three out of four were the upgraded stock speaker. I replaced the stock speakers with the pioneer TS D1730C 6.75

The sound is awesome minus the fact I have not been able to tune very well using the RF perfect tune and DSR1.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I have to disagree, the Sony speakers are absolute garbage. I replaced the stock speakers with Infinity Kappa components and even with the stock amp it made a WORLD of difference. I can't wait to run them on a legitimate amp and see how good they really are.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have to disagree, the Sony speakers are absolute garbage. I replaced the stock speakers with Infinity Kappa components and even with the stock amp it made a WORLD of difference. I can't wait to run them on a legitimate amp and see how good they really are.
I'm not claiming, or anywhere close to claiming, that the OE Sony speakers are worth keeping. All I am saying is that the Sony amp with its trashy variable EQ map is THE weakest part of the system. I put thousands of dollars of equipment on the other side of that Sony trying to make it sound somewhat decent. Once I put the DSR1 in and removed the Sony amp my struggle for sound was over.

Replacing the Sony speakers in the ST3 is a given in any scenario. I just think the Sony amp is a steaming pile of shyte which doesn't deserve the ground on which it rests. Savvy?

What amps are you looking at for your system?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Agreed! I had two different setups in it, still crappy sound. DSR-1 gave me the signal needed to make the sound I sought for.

Reactions: PHOKUS

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm not claiming, or anywhere close to claiming, that the OE Sony speakers are worth keeping. All I am saying is that the Sony amp with its trashy variable EQ map is THE weakest part of the system. I put thousands of dollars of equipment on the other side of that Sony trying to make it sound somewhat decent. Once I put the DSR1 in and removed the Sony amp my struggle for sound was over.

Replacing the Sony speakers in the ST3 is a given in any scenario. I just think the Sony amp is a steaming pile of shyte which doesn't deserve the ground on which it rests. Savvy?

What amps are you looking at for your system?
Correct; the stock amp is the weakest link in the car's stock system regardless of how crappy the speakers themselves are. The worst part is that you need to keep the Sony amp if you want to keep the features tied to it. I replaced my speakers with two Infiniti Kappa sets, replaced the sub with a low profile Kicker CompRT sub, and am powering everything through a Rockford Fosgate amplifier. Everything is crystal clear and LOUD.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Correct; the stock amp is the weakest link in the car's stock system regardless of how crappy the speakers themselves are. The worst part is that you need to keep the Sony amp if you want to keep the features tied to it.
This is what the DSR1 is designed to do. Replace the factory amplifier, removing it completely from the equation without sacrificing functionality. It does precisely that. And does it well, I might add. Worth every penny twice over.

I replaced my speakers with two Infiniti Kappa sets, replaced the sub with a low profile Kicker CompRT sub, and am powering everything through a Rockford Fosgate amplifier. Everything is crystal clear and LOUD.
So was mine. But imaging and soundstage were all over the place. EQ curves constantly shifting. Not my cup of tea and definitely not what I was looking for in my audio system. Once I said goodbye to the OE Sony amp, the system finally is on track to be what I am looking for. Still have some fine tuning to do with EQ, crossovers, time-alignment and I need to upgrade some wiring. But the elements I have been trying to squeeze out of this system are finally present. In fact, the difference has been so drastic I am doubling down and upgrading the system. I've swapped out the Alpine PDX-V9 for a Rockford T1500-1bdcp, so my rear stage is silent for the time being. Fronts running off my Rockford T600-4 now. I will be getting a T800-4 to swap in for the front stage. My Fluke inrush current is reading 175A on just those two amps and it's already bonkers loud. Once I add the T800-4 I will be forced to swap my 4ga out for 0ga.

I need to do a build thread. I want to rebuild my enclosure with a fiberglass bottom to grab a bit more airspace and make room for the amp rack. I have zero experience with fiberglass but going to learn, dang it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Sorry, I did my audio build two years ago when there was no alternative available. I've never heard of a DSR1 and didn't know something like that existed.
I did the same, been running an LC6 and multiple amps, trying to get the right sound. Like @PHOKUS said, it is loud, but the EQ and soundstage suffered until I put in the DSR-1, night and day difference. Sorry for the thread-jack, just happy as hell to finally HEAR what I sought for so long. Best $300 spent on my stereo!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I did the same, been running an LC6 and multiple amps, trying to get the right sound. Like @PHOKUS said, it is loud, but the EQ and soundstage suffered until I put in the DSR-1, night and day difference. Sorry for the thread-jack, just happy as hell to finally HEAR what I sought for so long. Best $300 spent on my stereo!!

I currently have a LC6 going from the Sony amp to my Rockford Fosgate amp. I do enjoy my stereo but it is pretty hard to tune. Is the DSR1 really worth the money? Does it replace both the LC6 and aftermarket amp or just the LC6 and Sony amp?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts