Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
It seems like maybe 1% of people are saying that it works for them, so I went with 99% sure, lol. :cool2:
I have to put my finger on the button on the door handle or use the key fob to lock it while running. Then grab the handle and it unlocks.

Reactions: viper91681

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you hold your key up to the A pillar while closing the door the car wont recognize that the key has left the car. Maybe if you lock it like this it will work? Just tossing it out there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Our cars are euro spec here, made in Germany but we dont get st1/2/3 all cars are same you just choose colour, closest to st2 I think.

I've 100% confirmed now I can't lock it from outside, stupid!

·
Registered
214 Posts
is this an ST3 thing? cause my 15 ST2 wont lock the door by itself with the engine off. I guess I'll have to test it tomorrow with the engine running.
I just did a re-test on my car, I think my problem was I was assuming the double beep the car makes it is saying the doors are locked (like other fords when you hit lock on keyfob x 2) and it is not. I took both keys out in my pocket. Press the button on door handle, it unlocks. start car and moved it forward and back a bit, then left it running. get out and close door, double beep. walked the keys a good 50ft away, came back and door is, in fact, not locked. so why the hell is it beeping. repeated the test but this time after opening door to get out (engine running) hit lock button on interior door panel. double beep, lock icon lights up for a split second then goes out, then double beep again when close door. again, walk keys away, return, door still unlocked car running.

great, so I've been parking this thing tons of places running with the doors unlocked. not to mention in my driveway every night, but I live out in the rurals I don't lock any of my cars, shed, garage, house anyway. you're pretty likely to get shot out here going on someone's farm/property if they don't know you.

the only part of the test that I've been able to accomplish engine running doors locked is to physically walk away from the car and double click the lock on the keyfob. hitting the button on the door once you get out does nothing, it seems to be an unlock-only button. lights flash double beep. stupid.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I just did a re-test on my car, I think my problem was I was assuming the double beep the car makes it is saying the doors are locked (like other fords when you hit lock on keyfob x 2) and it is not. I took both keys out in my pocket. Press the button on door handle, it unlocks. start car and moved it forward and back a bit, then left it running. get out and close door, double beep. walked the keys a good 50ft away, came back and door is, in fact, not locked. so why the hell is it beeping. repeated the test but this time after opening door to get out (engine running) hit lock button on interior door panel. double beep, lock icon lights up for a split second then goes out, then double beep again when close door. again, walk keys away, return, door still unlocked car running.

great, so I've been parking this thing tons of places running with the doors unlocked. not to mention in my driveway every night, but I live out in the rurals I don't lock any of my cars, shed, garage, house anyway. you're pretty likely to get shot out here going on someone's farm/property if they don't know you.

the only part of the test that I've been able to accomplish engine running doors locked is to physically walk away from the car and double click the lock on the keyfob. hitting the button on the door once you get out does nothing, it seems to be an unlock-only button. lights flash double beep. stupid.
The double honk is only a reminder that the engine is running, I think many of us find it to be an annoyance more than anything.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The double honk is only a reminder that the engine is running, I think many of us find it to be an annoyance more than anything.
Now that I realize it's NOT acknowledgement that the vehicle is locked in this case but it is when hitting the keyfob twice, I find it incredibly aggravating. Totally inconsistent Ford. If the engine is running and the car detects the Key going out of range, logic says to lock the car. You can't accidentally lock your keys in this car. Even if somehow you did, you can unlock it with the a pillar

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Now that I realize it's NOT acknowledgement that the vehicle is locked in this case but it is when hitting the keyfob twice, I find it incredibly aggravating. Totally inconsistent Ford. If the engine is running and the car detects the Key going out of range, logic says to lock the car.
in all fairness, it is clearly written in the manual.

but the thing is, that you are assuming the car behaves like some other prox keys that do lock and unlock as you get close and get farther away, BUT there are a lot of cars that don't operate like that and going to lock and unlock on command (you touching the handle in either of its two sensors, or pressing the hatch button are the commands). Any Ford PTS cars that I have driven have always needed to be locked or unlocked.

also as far as consistency, ford is not being inconsistent here as much as people tend to pay little attention. like when I hit the lock button on the fob the first time, the doors just lock, the second time I press it the car only honks once, I have to hit the button a third time in a fury of panic to make sure that I have locked the car before it will honk twice (one reminder for each unnecessary press of the button). now if the car is running and the door closes after the key leaves the car it honks twice. the car is clearly differentiating what it is warning you about and is very common in the auto world for different honks to mean different things.

You can't accidentally lock your keys in this car. Even if somehow you did, you can unlock it with the a pillar
how do you unlock the doors from the A pillar when the keys are locked inside?

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm aware of Ford's keyless entry, but yes its definitely not in the A pillar. and it must not be a very popular option since my 15 ST2 doesn't have it (actually odd with this being my first Ford ever to not have it). so saying that you couldn't lock you keys in the car because of it doesn't hold much water if only a few STs have it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts