Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was able to do this on my 2006 Mustang, 10 years newer car and it seems I'm not able to.

Is there a trick I am missing? I want to leave the car running, walk away and lock it, the wife's 2014 Edge does it automatically if you have the key with you.

Pushing the button on the remote does nothing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think the touch pad on the door will lock it while running, can anyone confirm?

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
You should have one. It's the little black thing on the door handle. I have an ST1, and mine has it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Can confirm, double press the lock button on the fob and mine locks 17 st1.
Same here. I have to double press the lock button, and standing close I can hear the locks engage, there is no honk or anything though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If I get out and walk away, it locks automatically with/without engine running. 15 ST3

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I get out and walk away, it locks automatically with/without engine running. 15 ST3
This is kinda weird. Mine won't like when I walk away. Unless there's some type of delay that I'm not waiting for. Mine is a 16' ST3. I will have to try this tomorrow. lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
How are you confirming that it locks? This is the first (and only I think) instance where this car has done it, although I wish it did.

Reactions: Nionetics

·
Registered
169 Posts
'16 and I can lock them as I walk away with the remote, you can hear the locks and the wife can't get in :big smile:

·
Registered
213 Posts
How are you confirming that it locks? This is the first (and only I think) instance where this car has done it, although I wish it did.
I noticed this first when I start the car up and go to work and stop at dunkin donuts a few miles away from my house. I let it idle while I go in if it's a cold day to warm up a bit. Key in my pocket, e-brake, get out and as I'm grabbing the handle hit the lock button (interior). When the door shuts, two beeps and the car stays running. Return (key still in pocket), grab the handle and it unlocks. I don't think I've tried that yet without hitting the lock button...just a habit from other cars, but I would assume it would lock as soon as the key was out of range.

Just went out and tried it...it does it even if I don't press the lock button...when I close the doors two beeps. I tried to leave my keys far away and return to see if it was locked, but it's not. I probably can't get my/my wifes key far enough away from the car.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I noticed this first when I start the car up and go to work and stop at dunkin donuts a few miles away from my house. I let it idle while I go in if it's a cold day to warm up a bit. Key in my pocket, e-brake, get out and as I'm grabbing the handle hit the lock button (interior). When the door shuts, two beeps and the car stays running. Return (key still in pocket), grab the handle and it unlocks. I don't think I've tried that yet without hitting the lock button...just a habit from other cars, but I would assume it would lock as soon as the key was out of range.

Just went out and tried it...it does it even if I don't press the lock button...when I close the doors two beeps. I tried to leave my keys far away and return to see if it was locked, but it's not. I probably can't get my/my wifes key far enough away from the car.
I'm 99% positive that the car won't auto lock when you walk away with the key. I have turned the car on before in the morning to let it warm up while I take the trash to the bin which isn't close and it never locked. I started to lock the car manually after noticing that it didn't lock. I guess auto lock when the key isn't detected didn't make sense to the engineers programming the car or something.

2 Posts
I'm 99% positive that the car won't auto lock when you walk away with the key. I have turned the car on before in the morning to let it warm up while I take the trash to the bin which isn't close and it never locked. I started to lock the car manually after noticing that it didn't lock. I guess auto lock when the key isn't detected didn't make sense to the engineers programming the car or something.
My 15' auto locks when exiting the vehicle while running. Done it since day one.

Also I'm pretty sure you can't say you are 99% sure something doesn't work, when multiple people have confirmed it does.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
nobody else finds it weird that the ST from the middle east doesn't have the lock sensor on the door handle?

that alone would show that no matter how our (US) cars function, his is at least somewhat different and could be programmed a lot different...

is this an ST3 thing? cause my 15 ST2 wont lock the door by itself with the engine off. I guess I'll have to test it tomorrow with the engine running.

but right out of the owners manual, page 65.(or page 68 of the PDF)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_11_2014.pdf

"NOTE: Your vehicle does not automatically
lock. If you do not touch a locking sensor
your vehicle will remain unlocked."

·
Registered
882 Posts
My 15' auto locks when exiting the vehicle while running. Done it since day one.

Also I'm pretty sure you can't say you are 99% sure something doesn't work, when multiple people have confirmed it does.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
It seems like maybe 1% of people are saying that it works for them, so I went with 99% sure, lol. :cool2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts