Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Focus'ers. I am pretty new on this board but have seen a similar comment on many topics. The common sentiment around here is to use a LOC to add an additional amp to these cars. I have never really had great luck with LOC's in the past and, personally, tend to shy away from them completely. It surprises so many people here recommend them over other options such as a DSP with summing abilities.

• Is it a cost thing?
  • Is there something specific about these cars that necessitates the use of LOC?
It just seems the end result can be SO much better with a DSP. If its price related, that makes a lot of sense. If it is related to something in the car than I am all ears. I would love to work through this one!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
DSP's are about twice the cost--putting most who just want a little more volume or bass and not a "serious system" out of the market. I know a guy going the DSP route, he's a bit of a sound system junkie--just bought his LOC and 5 channel amp from him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This has a little to do with our factory stereo too. With the ford 'premium' stereo we need to keep the crappy factory amp in order to maintain nav/ voice control. It's this amp that introduces the factory eq/ attenuation/ time misalignment so adding a dsp is still just a best case work around. Ideally you'd just give the amp the boot and start with a clean signal rather than trying to rite all it's wrongs with a dsp. This solution has not been possible, until the fosgate dsr1 is released sometime this year.

·
Registered
255 Posts
JBL MS-8 for $500 has done wonders for me.

Automatic signal correction, time alignment and it's Logic 7 are simply unbeatable. I will never install a system without this ones ability again. It makes the system sound complete, even with cheap-o speakers. I'm going to be installing a 6.5" component in the dash next month to finish the setup.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
its 100% a cost thing...

of course a $20 LOC will work just fine for most people, however a $600 Rockford 3Sixty will sound ten times better. most people have never head the difference that a true DSP will provide nor do they tend to buy equipment good enough to truly take advantage of them (and yes a DSP can be used to give pretty good sound even out of factory speakers)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its 100% a cost thing...

of course a $20 LOC will work just fine for most people, however a $600 Rockford 3Sixty will sound ten times better. most people have never head the difference that a true DSP will provide nor do they tend to buy equipment good enough to truly take advantage of them (and yes a DSP can be used to give pretty good sound even out of factory speakers)
Have you used the 3Sixty? Is it easy to set up or does it require an advanced degree in astrophysics like some DSPs out there? What about the PXA-H800 by alpine?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the 3sixty is not hard to set up, you do got to know what your doing. but nowhere near as confusing as others.

haven't used the alpine before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts