Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT:
Checked things over and my pipes had moved on the intercoolers pipes, so I was probably still leaking a little since they were moving around under boost... I re-tightened them AGAIN and pretty freaking tight this time... We will see.

Instead of the below ramblings, I think I can sum my question up simply...

I see there is a blog post on how to determine if you have leaks/faults in a water/meth setup, but what types of things should I be looking for in logs to determine if I have a boost leak - even a small one?

Thanks!

EDIT2: Apparently it was leaking ever so slightly... I would still like input on what to look for that indicates very small boost leaks :)
I think the boost time in seconds over 20PSI is the most telling...

Before REALLY cranking down on the clamps:
Levels FMIC, updated Stratified OTS tune, v8.1 E30:
Max boost: 21.7 @ 3791RPM
Boost stays above 20psi (seconds): 1.27s
Max Load: 2.064 @ 3844RPM
Max Airflow Mass: 25.56 @ 6500RPM
WGDC Hit 100% @ 4538RPM

After
Max boost: 22.6 @ 3631RPM
Boost stays above 20psi (seconds): 2.14s
Max Load: 2.156 @ 3366RPM
Max Airflow Mass: 25.83 @ 65=6781RPM
WGDC Hit 100% @ 4457RPM

Hello!
I recently (finally) got a new FMIC, I had a new tune from Stratified already all lined up when it got here and I am running it now and comparing to previous logs to determine two things - is it flowing more air, and do I have any boost leaks?

I am looking at Boost, WGDC, Load Actual, and Airflow Mass. I am seeing boost actually less than it used to be at peak

All of these numbers were from a 3rd gear pull, ambient temp was aprox the same. I am limiting the RPM I will take readings from to 6650 as that is the lower of the two runs where I let off.

OEM FMIC, Stratified OTS tune, v8.1 E30:
Max boost: 22.73 @3642RPM
Boost stays above 20psi (seconds): 2.1s
Max Load: 2.318 @ 3306RPM
Max Airflow Mass: 26.0 @6653RPM
WGDC Hit 100% @ 4692RPM

Max boost: 21.7 @ 3791RPM
Boost stays above 20psi (seconds): 1.27s
Max Load: 2.064 @ 3844RPM
Max Airflow Mass: 25.56 @ 6500RPM
WGDC Hit 100% @ 4538RPM

Looking at 4000 RPM air mass flow between the two logs is 21.1 (new FMIC) vs 22.47 (OEM FMIC) - this alone seems strange to me. I am also ~1 PSI lower boost pressure at 4k on the new FMIC

I know I HAD leaks, but pretty sure I have fixed them (at the hose to FMIC connections, just didnt tighten them hard enough the first time apparently) but the main things that stick out to me are:

I hold boost above 20PSI for a second less than before, strange...
I dont hit as high of a peak boost or peak load

Am I misunderstanding load? Does a higher load number indicate that the engine is producing more torque, or am I off base here?
The new FMIC is larger in volume, could that account for some of what I am seeing?
I looked at short and long term fuel trims as well, I dont see anything worse than +- 7% and I would think those would look worse if there was a leak.
Am I way off base - am I looking in the right areas to see if I indeed improved the amount of air going into the engine? The charge temps dropped a TON vs the OEM and I expected to see more air mass - I am also confused by the ever so slightly lower peak boost #'s.

That was a lot of rambling, sorry, hopefully it makes sense what I am going for here.
I do plan on purchasing a tune refinement, I just want to have everything nailed down before taking and submitting those however :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welp - Purchased a log review today and will get things submitted once I collect all the logs - I want to run a tank of 91 through after the e30 and refill so I dont get off readings from additional ethanol - I took some today on e30 and then swapped to 91/the 91 map and I am hoping we have room to go as these just dont make much sense when compared to the numbers you are getting in your blog post on suggested upgrades for the ST.

This is 2 runs of e30 in 3rd gear, 1 run of e30 in 4th gear and 1 run on 91, it really seems like the numbers are low and I am very confused why the difference between 91 and e30 numbers are so small - the car sure as heck feels better on e30... hrm...

Looking forward to you guys taking a look via the data refinement :)

dyno.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts