Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One problem with oiled air filters is the time it takes for the filter to dry after cleaning; the K&N and other cleaning kits are explicit that you can't apply fresh oil unless and until the filter media is totally dry.

In the past, I've shaken them out and then set them on a dehumidifier or room air filter to dry, but it still takes a few hours.

Today I tried something new: I baked my air filter in a convection oven. Yup. Really. And it worked nicely!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 Mountune Green Air Filter or equivalent
1 K&N or Green Filter Cleaning Kit or equivalent​

Baking Instructions:
Clean the filter per the instructions in the kit and be sure to rinse thoroughly until all the cleaner is rinsed out. Depending on conditions, you may need to wash the filter twice with a second application of cleaner.

Preheat a convection over to 170 degrees or lower. You may be able to use a conventional oven, but the airflow within a convection oven will help.

After rinsing thoroughly, shake the air filter to remove excess water.

Set the air filter on a wire rack baking shelf, making sure that the silicone ends do not touch any of the rack's wires; the filter should be supported entirely by the metal screen of the air filter.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes @ 170 degrees (depending on how good a job you did shaking the filter of excess water.

Use an oven mitt to remove. Do NOT insert a toothpick in the filter to check if done; instead look at the color of the ends, which should roughly match that in the center of the filter.

Allow to cool to room temperature; about ten minutes.

Apply filter oil (parsimoniously) and set aside to rest for thirty minutes before reinstalling.​

Makes one serving. Best accompanied with late-vintage high-octane fuel and liberal amounts of boost. Serve any time!

In the picture below, the filter is half-baked (much like your author...); you can see the ends are still much darker than the center. Note the silicone ends are positioned so as not to be touching the wire rack.

Enjoy responsibly!
Mark

Floor Gas Cooking Grilling Wood

·
Registered
532 Posts
I put mine in the dryer on low heat. Same idea, it has a little rack accessory similar to an oven rack so it doesn't get tossed around the drum. I think the dryer does a better job since it also circulates air.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put mine in the dryer on low heat. Same idea, it has a little rack accessory similar to an oven rack so it doesn't get tossed around the drum. I think the dryer does a better job since it also circulates air.
Yes, I'm sure the sneaker tray in the dryer works well; low temp is about the same. The convection oven circulates air too. It's obscured by the filter in my picture, but there's a fan on the backside of the oven that does the air circulation.

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope this isn't the oven your wife uses to cook Christmas dinner ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is indeed!

But in all seriousness, there was no residual odor. I did make sure to really rinse the filter thoroughly to get all the cleaner out.

All the best,
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts