Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, finally getting around to installing a lightbar on my 2015 ST1 for fun in the canyon runs. Question is regarding to wiring the light bar to my headlight harness. Which wire do I have to tap into on the headlight harness to make it come on with my highbeams? I'm looking at a wiring harness (with remote) for the light bar so on to my next question. Will i still be able to turn the lightbar on/off with the remote regardless if the highbeams are on? That doesn't make sense to me, but thought i'd ask.

Reactions: Ohhhsoginger

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey guys, finally getting around to installing a lightbar on my 2015 ST1 for fun in the canyon runs. Question is regarding to wiring the light bar to my headlight harness. Which wire do I have to tap into on the headlight harness to make it come on with my highbeams? I'm looking at a wiring harness (with remote) for the light bar so on to my next question. Will i still be able to turn the lightbar on/off with the remote regardless if the highbeams are on? That doesn't make sense to me, but thought i'd ask.
I have mine wired to it's own switch

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have mine wired to it's own switch
I have no need for a physical switch since mine has a remote, but for safety i'd like to have them come on with my highbeams. If i'm carving the canyon at night it would be much quicker/safer to do this with the built-in highbeam switch so my hands don't have to leave the steering wheel. Make sense or no? lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have no need for a physical switch since mine has a remote, but for safety i'd like to have them come on with my highbeams. If i'm carving the canyon at night it would be much quicker/safer to do this with the built-in highbeam switch so my hands don't have to leave the steering wheel. Make sense or no? lol
Running a switch from what I tried is rather involved. I wired my through the harness for the fog lights. That way when the fogs are on the light bar is on. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
if it were me, I wouldn't just wire them up to a set of lights, I would also throw a switch in line so that it could be turned off and still be able to use the fog lights or high beams (which ever you have them hooked up to)

adding a switch is not very involved at all... its actually super easy. you will want to run a relay to power the light bar, the relay can easily be triggered by either a fog light or high beam switched wire. to add a switch, you simply run the trigger wire from either your head light or fog light into one side of the switch and then out of the switch to the relay. then when the switch is turned on the light bar will automatically come on when you turn on the OEM lights, but when the switch is turned off it will shut off the light bar.

so easy, a caveman could do it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if it were me, I wouldn't just wire them up to a set of lights, I would also throw a switch in line so that it could be turned off and still be able to use the fog lights or high beams (which ever you have them hooked up to)

adding a switch is not very involved at all... its actually super easy. you will want to run a relay to power the light bar, the relay can easily be triggered by either a fog light or high beam switched wire. to add a switch, you simply run the trigger wire from either your head light or fog light into one side of the switch and then out of the switch to the relay. then when the switch is turned on the light bar will automatically come on when you turn on the OEM lights, but when the switch is turned off it will shut off the light bar.

so easy, a caveman could do it.
I ordered this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSHWNC9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is there any way to still wire this into my headlights and use the wireless remote as a switch? Don't see any trigger wire on this harness.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Is there any way to still wire this into my headlights and use the wireless remote as a switch? Don't see any trigger wire on this harness.
the trigger wire will be either terminal 86 or 85, and that depends on how that receiver is wired to the relay... for the relay to trigger, it needs to see ground on one of the terminals and 12v on the other. often with fog light kits that just have a switch, the positive wire is the trigger and there is always a ground input.

basically you can add another relay in series with that relay to use the headlights to trigger the new relay, then the new relay can either allow the first relay to power on or keep it from energizing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts