Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What spacers do you have, the kind that bolt to the car, and you bolt the wheel to that, or the ones you replace the wheel studs and still bolt the wheel to the car? For some reason putting all forces of starting, stopping, turning, everything on thin piece of aluminum scares me.

Now let's talk maintenance on them. How often do you remove the wheel and check the torque on the spacer? Aren't you supposed to every couple thousand miles?
How about extra wear on bearings suspension, etc. you guys with spacers, do you actually see that? Does it wear out a few hundred miles faster, or 20,000 miles faster?

Thanks all

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cant comment on wear, but I have Garage line 20 and 25mm spacers. They bolt on and have their own studs. They are super solid, I have no fear of one of these breaking down.

Have ony had on for about 6000 miles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't have spacers on my ST but I had SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers on my TJ Wrangler for about 50,000+ miles with zero issues.

That was with a 4.25" lift & 33x12.5r15 tires, so a ton more force on stock components then just a wheel spacer.

Same style spacer as the Garagelines. I just checked the torque when I rotated my tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a jeep guy. There's A TON of talk on the spacers either making no difference OR to NEVER use them because your wheels will fall off.

In my opinion, with being almost done with my Bachelor's in ME and understanding how forces work, as long as you torque everything correctly and center everything correctly you will have no problems with spacers.

A lot of times, the argument is that you should get wheels with the backspacing/offset you want rather than using spacers. This, in shortest explanation, makes such a marginal difference between the two in terms of forces on components there's no reason for this to be the argument wheels spacers are wrong/bad/shouldn't be done.

"You can't really compare any thing California does to the actual United States"
- StevenST

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just purchased 5mm H&R spacers that require replacing the stud. I only wanted 5mm because my wheels are already 15mm offset more than stock so just want the staggered look in the back. They will be installed professionally on the 1st so fingers crossed no issues, I haven't seen anyone on these forums install these type of spaces. If anyone has experience with these please let me hear your thoughts. Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I had Garageline 20/25s on my car for almost 20,000 miles, with no issues whatsoever. I did have an issue removing them, though. I'd recommend putting a very thin coating of antiseize on the mating surface of your hub to make removal easier if you decide to go a different route later on; I had to use a puller to get mine off when I installed my Bathursts.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Im getting told all around that 20mm fronts and 25mm rears look the best. Im also being told that 20mm spacers will also require me to cut the original studs back as the wheels wont sit flush unless i dont. SO anyone with 25mm all around that can post some pics on how they look because I believe i wont have to mod anything just bolt em up id appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The only thing I will strongly recommend if you want to get spacers, make sure the spacers are hub centric And wheel centric.

Hub centric makes sure that the spacer is dead nuts centered on the wheel hub. Wheel centric makes sure the wheels are dead nuts centered on the spacers.

This does two different things, first since everything is mounted perfectly centered, you wont get any wobble or vibrations. Also it takes most of the stress off of the wheel/spacer studs.

Cars using cheap spacers without the correct bore sizes or any at all are the kind of spacers you hear about being dangerous.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts