Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
dry system just inject nitrous oxide alone, and then the car will try to adjust for it, usually by boosting fuel pressure, but i have seen some people spray before the MAF and just thope the car figures it out . wet systems inject nitrous and also inject extra fuel at the same time. if your OEM fuel system cant support the extra fuel needed for the amount of nitrous your injecting, then going dry can be very dangerious to the car.

a TB spacer is an easier and cheaper location, but you can only hope that your getting an even amount of fuel into each cylinder (injector location can make a difference) a manifold spacer is a better but more expensive option since you have an injector for each cylinder.

·
Premium Member
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Basically it's boost in a bottle. Your spraying what amounts to a bunch of oxygen into the engine and then adding additional fuel. It can be great if you know what your doing. Do a lot of research before diving into it though.
Yeah, nitrous is one of those things that you do NOT venture into without a bunch of research. Even as much as knowing whether to use the nitrous at x,xxx rpm vs x,xxx rpm could mean the difference of blowing your engine up. A lot of the West guys run it like @djfourmoney and have no issues at all, you just gotta know what you're doing.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Since the Focus ST never leaves closed loop operation, it will adjust fuel trims as needed.

I went dry because -

1) Less involved during installation
2) Less sensitive to bottle temperature which impacts bottle pressure and overall performance

AFR stayed just below 12.0 which is near perfect.

I got no ignition advance on 91 octane. 93 will be slightly better but still not that great. Pump is fine for setup; But to run it hard use race gas.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yeah, nitrous is one of those things that you do NOT venture into without a bunch of research. Even as much as knowing whether to use the nitrous at x,xxx rpm vs x,xxx rpm could mean the difference of blowing your engine up. A lot of the West guys run it like @djfourmoney and have no issues at all, you just gotta know what you're doing.
GhettoJay is from NJ runs it on his GTX2971 car (ZEX Wet kit). It's not just a west coast thing.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I love nitrous myself. Heck I ran a 50 shot in my 2003 Civic DX for pete's sake. Love reading about how you guys are pushing the platform using it. Very Cool!!!!!

Reactions: kmosgroberwork

·
Premium Member
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I love nitrous myself. Heck I ran a 50 shot in my 2003 Civic DX for pete's sake. Love reading about how you guys are pushing the platform using it. Very Cool!!!!!
Seeing some of these 12.xx times people are posting up in the 1/4 mile is enough to make it highly desirable :cool:

Reactions: BCE22

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I will def do more research on a good kit/controller so that maybe i can just flip a switch to turn on the system and then it activates under a pre determined set of conditions so i don't blow my motor. Anyone care to comment about WMI kits?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I used to run a 200 shot wet kit in my old foxbody mustang.
I had NOS solenoids and a plate kit on a carb converted 5.0.
The Nitrous kit had an arm switch, and when i went WOT my carburetor would hit a switch that opened the solenoids.
car ran low 13's on motor and high 11's on the bottle.

I will probably never drag race my FoST. Just not the car for it IMO.

I find it intriguing how a 50 shot on turbo makes way more than 50hp! Very cool.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You can use the included WOT switch that comes with all the kits but that isn't as elegant.

I run a Nitrous Express Maximzer 4 (will upgrade to the 5 at some point). I have it set it come on at 3,000 rpm with RPM progression. In other words, the amount of nitrous injected is proportional to engine speed.

Current settings are based on the stock turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
fancy

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Only I had a base 91 tune in the car. What happen could not be seen in the data.
Dry is better than wet on a turbo engine IMHO.

Nitrous doesn't change the air-fuel that much, especially a small shot.

35 hp shot was fine. Damage came with a 50 shot which is 100hp on a turbo car and all in at 3000 rpm plus the engine was back firing.

Progressive control is where its at.

I could use it now, I may at some point it won't really hit until the top of 2nd anyway.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
252 Posts
[/QUOTE]Dry is better than wet on a turbo engine IMHO.

Nitrous doesn't change the air-fuel that much, especially a small shot.

35 hp shot was fine. Damage came with a 50 shot which is 100hp on a turbo car and all in at 3000 rpm plus the engine was back firing.

Progressive control is where its at.

I could use it now, I may at some point it won't really hit until the top of 2nd anyway.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

So a straight 35hp shot with progressive controller and no tune is ok?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Installed a NX proton plus system into a throttle body spacer. A slipping clutch and a deer later i haven't been able to do a full test. But, my experience so far... the NX fuel line adapter for the Low pressure line couldn't hold and left me stranded..it kept blowing off. Finally i broke down and built my own line. ended up cleaner, better clearances, and after a few hundred miles no blow-offs or leaks!. I wired a push button and WOT locating the correct wire from the TB involving narrowing it down to 2 possible (of the 6) and then using a multi-meter to figure which had the signal i wanted . I used a Boomba TB spacer. after trying to fit the lines i went to different elbows and decided to use a dremel and clear some plastic away from the fan shroud. Didn't want the lines smacking during hard pulls! with the slipping clutch i didn't run the nitrous yet but i did pull up the afr and watch as i activated the system to see the fuel solenoid come on. It gets a hair rich and the car corrects almost immediately. Hopefully getting a new clutch and some results soon. NOTE: the Proton plus system i have has both solenoids in a box together that i mounted on side of the battery box. I got a smoking deal on the set-up. They have a kit for the 2.3 eco that bolts onto the TB so upgrading to the 2.3 TB and using that kit would be much simpler. thnx to logan @ NX and Richard who helped me find a wiring schematic for the WOT trigger

41 - 60 of 88 Posts