Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to see what you guys are running for Aero on the Focus ST. I have a lot of ideas currently so help with some grip around the track. I am getting a custom splitter made and possibly some dive planes to help with front end grip. I want to do a wing on the back, but am not really finding many functional items. I like the look of Rally Innovations wing, but I am just waiting to hear back what adjustment, if any, it offers. I would love to get an M-Sport wing from their WRC/RX cars, but I have a feeling those would be pretty expensive.

Lets see what you are running and what sort of luck you have had with balance!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
this should be in appearance... not in Road Racing

this has been asked and answered 100+ times... have you heard of a website called Google? it is a search engine and you can search for things just like what you are asking.

Hope this helps and hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
13,736 Posts

this has been asked and answered 100+ times... have you heard of a website called Google? it is a search engine and you can search for things just like what you are asking.

Wrong. The OP is looking for functional pieces. Most that people have are for show.

I talked briefly to Rally Innovations and they did state all of their pieces are functional. However I understand for a front splitter to be truly functional I needs to extend under the nose and connect to the structure of the car. I haven't seen one that meets that criteria yet for the Focus ST.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Wrong. The OP is looking for functional pieces. Most that people have are for show.

I talked briefly to Rally Innovations and they did state all of their pieces are functional. However I understand for a front splitter to be truly functional I needs to extend under the nose and connect to the structure of the car. I haven't seen one that meets that criteria yet for the Focus ST.

ohhhhhh you got me there :sorry:

LOL

So your car is stripped, gutted and full race car and you need functional splitters and other areo body parts? ok I am interested now... otherwise yes this thread has been asked again and again.

Do a little research... splitters do nothing for a daily driver, likely lower the cars MPG if anything due to the drag and extra weight

·
Premium Member
13,736 Posts
ohhhhhh you got me there :sorry:

LOL

So your car is stripped, gutted and full race car and you need functional splitters and other areo body parts? ok I am interested now... otherwise yes this thread has been asked again and again.

Do a little research... splitters do nothing for a daily driver, likely lower the cars MPG if anything due to the drag and extra weight
Why the hate? Let the OP race out theit daily if they want.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Why the hate? Let the OP race out theit daily if they want.

What are you calling hate? I am calling logic and proven. sorry for telling him the truth.

I didn't say he shouldn't race his daily... I said he shouldn't worry about "functional" areo if his car isn't a built race car... time on the track will be WAY more of a improvement then areo parts on a factory ST.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I did Google it, but filtering through all of the "appearance only" crap was a pain and no one seemed to back up their claims with actual data. Plus the search on this website is crap, so I made a thread...happy?

I spoke with Rally Innovations as well. I am actually working with them to test the wing at a wind tunnel to try and get them some ACTUAL data as they do not have any. I would never do a wing without a functioning front splitter. Downforce on the rear of the car when it is FWD is just silly. So that is why I am trying to go after a functional set up.

The splitter that I am having made by C3 Custom Composites will reach under the engine bay likely, so we may have to work out some naca ducts to ensure trans and engine cooling. It will also be hard mounted to something...that hasn't been figured out yet but we will have a brace or something so that it can withstand someone standing on it. No flimsy splitters here! It will also be a corecell high density foam core with an expoy resin and carbon/basalt/innegra reinforcements.

I haven't seen any that meet these requirements either, so that is why I am going custom. I may also have them add winglets and have carbon bits extend from the wheel wells to help the air separate cleaner from the wheels. Plus the canards and winglets will help with front downforce which is paramount in a FWD set up.

What are you calling hate? I am calling logic and proven. sorry for telling him the truth.

I didn't say he shouldn't race his daily... I said he shouldn't worry about "functional" areo if his car isn't a built race car... time on the track will be WAY more of a improvement then areo parts on a factory ST.
The car is my daily NOW. It will not be after all of this is done. My car was bought as a daily initially, but my jobs needs have changed and I will need something bigger, but I cannot afford to part with the ST, so it will be a "toy" now. It will likely be trailered to and from the track, so I am not worried about its road manners.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also asking to see everyones set ups and know what luck they have had with balance as aero is a black art and it would be nice to know what others have had success with and what they have not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts