Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So over the weekend, I let a friend drive the ST. He has driven it multiple times before and is a fairly confident driver. Unfortunately the roads were a bit slick and he misjudged a corner. He ended up understeering straight through the corner and into a ditch. This was the resulting damage. Front splitter was bent in half, bumper is cracked and scratched, ECU housing was shattered, wheels are scuffed pretty bad. Luckily no one was hurt, airbags did not deploy, and all steering and suspension components seem to be fine. We ended up drift stitched the bumper back together and driving it home.
My buddy was way more concerned than i was after it happened, he felt extremely bad about it and offered to pay for all the damage out of pocket. I'm just going to have him buy me a bumper and pay for paint.
20170623_233204.jpg FB_IMG_1498265607840.jpg 20170623_191115.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
why would you let anyone that doesn't pay for your car drive it?

Is he at least going to take responsibility and pay for the repairs?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
why would you let anyone that doesn't pay for your car drive it?

Is he at least going to take responsibility and pay for the repairs?
He said he is gonna have him buy a new bumper and pay for his paint in his post lol.

I'm guilty of letting friends (who can drive stick well) drive my car, but they are NEVER and I mean seriously N-E-V-E-R allowed to drive it spirited if it isn't in a straight line and never on wet/sketchy or even curvy roads. Nope. It's a hard handling car, with a tendency to oversteer which that alone is why most car sites warn against inexperienced drivers buying it. Live and learn my friend, I'm just upset that such a beautiful ST was injured on this fateful day ;( Hope you don't come across any hidden issues and she makes a full recovery!

·
Registered
220 Posts
This car is not the car to let your friend drive unless they are experienced and good in autocrossing. Focus St's are unforgiving if you do not steer them right with the gas and brake. Must be very careful because they can do the opposite of what you expect in the slightest moment.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Posts like this make me want to get more training in my car.

Reactions: chronos

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said he is gonna have him buy a new bumper and pay for his paint in his post lol.

I'm guilty of letting friends (who can drive stick well) drive my car, but they are NEVER and I mean seriously N-E-V-E-R allowed to drive it spirited if it isn't in a straight line and never on wet/sketchy or even curvy roads. Nope. It's a hard handling car, with a tendency to oversteer which that alone is why most car sites warn against inexperienced drivers buying it. Live and learn my friend, I'm just upset that such a beautiful ST was injured on this fateful day ;( Hope you don't come across any hidden issues and she makes a full recovery!
So far it seems to have come out fairly well. Made the trip to work today with no issues. some slight rubbing at full lock because of a bent mud flap. She will be back to looking good soon enough.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This car is not the car to let your friend drive unless they are experienced and good in autocrossing. Focus St's are unforgiving if you do not steer them right with the gas and brake. Must be very careful because they can do the opposite of what you expect in the slightest moment.
He is a pretty experienced driver, he has done more auto x than i have, and he has driven the car a few dozen times. He just made a mistake and froze when the car stopped steering.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Posts like this make me want to get more training in my car.
Its always good to get more training, whether you get an instructor or just put some more hours behind the wheel, everything helps.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Its always good to get more training, whether you get an instructor or just put some more hours behind the wheel, everything helps.
That's why I need to get my butt into some auto-cross. I went to STOA, but that just wasn't enough. It was barely a taste.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
That's why I need to get my butt into some auto-cross. I went to STOA, but that just wasn't enough. It was barely a taste.
Any safe environment (even if it isn't autocross or competition..maybe a huge parking lot?) where you can corner just on the edge of traction in your car...if you can attempt it then you'll feel that when you let off the gas it'll start skidding or if you hit the brakes it'll start skidding. When this happens, you do what your brain tells you NOT to do...HIT THE GAS. Being FWD, it "pulls" your car the way you are pointing and stops the rotation. If you hit the turn too fast, yeah you'll still slide...but you won't spin at least.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Glad buddy is OK. At least this isn't bad at all. That GOLD intercooler is still mint, so that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A buddy got all of my rear suspension pieces replaced on my ST! Lesson learned my friend..

Sounds like we need a new thread.

Whosee ST has scars caused by someone else behind the wheel?

·
Registered
331 Posts
A buddy got all of my rear suspension pieces replaced on my ST! Lesson learned my friend..

Sounds like we need a new thread.

Whosee ST has scars caused by someone else behind the wheel?
I do not let anyone else drive my cars but I once had a buddy take my old alero to the track and did a 3-2 Downshift at redline... Oh man.. that was a ass puckering moment. That little supercharged quad 4 engine did just well and handled it.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
really i dont agree... this statement just makes me seem like you have not driven many cars?

ever drive a Mustang? HAHA... but all jokes aside.

Mspeed3? they are WAY worse?

Funny because if you watch any review or pro driver that complement the ST time and time again how much a forgiving car it is and how you can be a bad driver and the car will help you along.

I have never seen or heard anyone make the statement you did. so I am a little shocked

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do not let anyone else drive my cars but I once had a buddy take my old alero to the track and did a 3-2 Downshift at redline... Oh man.. that was a ass puckering moment. That little supercharged quad 4 engine did just well and handled it.
I have done that in the ST once. . . that's all it took to NEVER do it again. Almost kissed the steering wheel then the car went into limp mode. All was fine after a quick restart.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
really i dont agree... this statement just makes me seem like you have not driven many cars?

ever drive a Mustang? HAHA... but all jokes aside.

Mspeed3? they are WAY worse?

Funny because if you watch any review or pro driver that complement the ST time and time again how much a forgiving car it is and how you can be a bad driver and the car will help you along.

I have never seen or heard anyone make the statement you did. so I am a little shocked
I'm a firm believer that in the wrong hands during spirited driving it's a dangerous car for someone who doesn't know about lift-off oversteer. The reason most cars are designed to understeer is because it's safer...hence why a car that naturally does the opposite can cause serious issues. I would think that @chronos is referring more to SPIRITED driving vs day to day driving. However, comparing a RWD vehicle such as a Mustang proves a bad comparison because it oversteers if you give it too MUCH gas...

I would rather put a rookie in a car that oversteers if you give it too MUCH gas than one that oversteers if you panick and LET OFF the gas or BRAKE. That way at least if they start oversteering in the Mustang they can correct it by letting off the throttle and gripping the wheel for dear life. In the ST, well you know the popular song by Ratt. ROUND AND ROUND

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nobody here would judge you if you did kiss the wheel after that. I would almost cry if that was my ST
Oh, I meant that as when I "money shifted" the ST and almost went through the windshield. A 3-2 shift at 5500rpm is like slamming the brakes when you expect to be slamming the throttle.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I'm a firm believer that in the wrong hands during spirited driving it's a dangerous car for someone who doesn't know about lift-off oversteer. The reason most cars are designed to understeer is because it's safer...hence why a car that naturally does the opposite can cause serious issues. I would think that @chronos is referring more to SPIRITED driving vs day to day driving. However, comparing a RWD vehicle such as a Mustang proves a bad comparison because it oversteers if you give it too MUCH gas...

I would rather put a rookie in a car that oversteers if you give it too MUCH gas than one that oversteers if you panick and LET OFF the gas or BRAKE. That way at least if they start oversteering in the Mustang they can correct it by letting off the throttle and gripping the wheel for dear life. In the ST, well you know the popular song by Ratt. ROUND AND ROUND
sorry again these statements are rookie and lack of knowledge comments. Have you driven a Mspeed3 as I stated as well. it is WAY WAY less forgiving. I have driven both and I have driven both "spirited" (love that work... it is like slang for irresponsible? just like the the "racing in Mexico" haha anyways )

let's be honest he was driving over his head, he even stated that he choked, don't see how that is the cars fault?

sorry I am not agreeing with either of you but me and a massive amount of reviewers agree that this car really is very forgiving, and no i am not referring to driving to the mall and neither did any review I have watched.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts