Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, there has been a ton of posts on here about anti lag and everybody shooting it down. blah blah blah you don’t need it on stock turbo... well no kidding and you don’t need it running a gt3076 supposedly. But let’s face it some of us like to get wild and use turbos above the gt3076 like my self running a gt3576. Yeah it spools decent and it’s a blast to break boost etc. But let’s be realistic I’m not looking for anti lag to show off but I could really use it for track use or rolls. So @COBB can we please get something going here or can someone please offer us another solution beside the N2MB box?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well for most street cars, its the abuse the motor and turbo take from a real anti lag that makes it not worth it. All the bang bangs and turbo spool is cool but i dont want to have to replace expensive items like they were normal wear items.Lots of heat and extra pressure. Rally cars can afford rebuilds, i cant. Same for things like brakes/trans..anti lag keeps the car from engine braking, so you have to constantly keep on the brakes. Also possible you would lose vacuum too, so hard unassisted brakes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had anti lag on my SRT4 never once did I have to replace valves engine etc. I just used it like a grown man and only used it when I needed it. There just has to be more options out there than just nitrous etc. I’m not denying it’s hard abuse but for those of us who wish to take that chance there should be an option for us to atleast check it out. That new Veloster R spec comes with it and Hyundai states they only did it for show.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
So i am guessing the veloster isnt using the same violent antilag i am thinking of with proper rally cars...more of a pops and crackle but with a little actual function to help keep the turbo spooled on shifts or off throttle?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes but, even when using it as lunch Controll it isn’t a giant fire ball show. Just enough to get the turbo spooled up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plus If you think about it anti lag in reality only needs to be used between 1-5seconds max. In the generation we live in today your telling me someone can’t built a box with a timer that only allows you to use it for a 1-5 seconds and won’t reactive until a 30 second cool down period is achieved so people won’t be out there cooking there valves etc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay that’s pretty awesome! But I’m assuming this only works for internal wastage actuators. I have a custom manifold I made but I’m sure I could find room to plumb this thing. But like you said I think it’s easier to retard timing and add fuel.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That's much more self contained, but the opposite of what I was suggesting. I was thinking about plumbing it into the intake side (plus the compressed air from the storage tank would be nice and cold). My original idea was to use the waste from a blow off valve and/or open the wastegate at a higher pressure, but route some of that "excess" boost to a compressor storage tank. Plumbing from wherever a good sized tank could be placed with some fairly large lines to the engine would be tough. It would also have an external Schrader valve or something to fill it from an outside compressor or could be filled from an onboard compressor (this idea was specifically thought up for a Mk1 Legacy wagon and there was an optional air suspension on the higher trim version that I would have used the compressor from). When I looked into this to see if it was something I should pursue patenting, I found Ford and Subaru had just tried the same thing in their WRC cars and the FIA had banned it (I think this was 1998). I couldn't find any reference to its efficacy, but since it was banned, I figure it had at least some advantage. More recently, I saw something about Volvo going to/thinking about doing this with just the onboard compressor (which is really simplest and easiest and wouldn't require as large a storage tank).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Lol 5k for rolling anti lag come on ! Your telling me nothing else can be done ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts