Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new member and new to the Ford Focus world. This is my 3rd Ford in 6 years, a 2011 Mustang GT Brembo Pack, bought a '16 GT350 Track Pack last year and this year I replaced my '07 beater Civic EX with a '13 Focus ST...with 21,000 miles on it.

So on to business. I'd like to do a resonator delete and I already have a resonator delete on my GT350 so I thought maybe I could recycle the left over pipe to fab up a resonator delete for my Focus. Do any of you know how long the resonator is before I attempt to go to a muffler shop? I'd measure it myself, it's not that hard to do of course but I currently can't right now. Stupid story for a different time.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
@nastang87xx I don't know the length of the resonator, but to do this right your will need more tubing than just the length of the resonator, The resonator inlet is 2 1/2" and the outlet is 2 1/4" and there is 2 1/4" tubing until just before the rear suspension and then it necks back up to 2 1/2". I'd say about 4 or 5 or 6 feet or so?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's odd...

Well at least I have the info. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
That's odd...

Well at least I have the info. Thanks.
It is odd; it surprised the guy at the muffler shop when I took the car in to have the resonator replaced with a muffler after installing my axle back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what's the story with drone then with different combinations of resonators vs mufflers vs replacements vs god knows what? Since I'm looking for more sound regardless of setup, I could mess with the muffler side if that's easier. I've heard mixed results regarding a resonator delete and stock muffler that it will drone or not drone. My other thought is leaving the stock resonator in place and replacing the factory muffler with a Vibrant bottle resonator or a Pypes M80 bullet.

A tiny touch of resonance isn't the end of the world (my 2011 GT had long tube headers, no resonators and a Borla ATAK axle back) but so long as it doesn't sound like a cow being tortured in the cabin while I'm cruising on the freeway, I'm good.

Stock muffler + resonator delete, drone?
Muffler delete + stock resonator, drone?
Muffler replaced with bottle/bullet resonator + stock resonator, drone?

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
So what's the story with drone then with different combinations of resonators vs mufflers vs replacements vs god knows what? Since I'm looking for more sound regardless of setup, I could mess with the muffler side if that's easier. I've heard mixed results regarding a resonator delete and stock muffler that it will drone or not drone. My other thought is leaving the stock resonator in place and replacing the factory muffler with a Vibrant bottle resonator or a Pypes M80 bullet.

A tiny touch of resonance isn't the end of the world (my 2011 GT had long tube headers, no resonators and a Borla ATAK axle back) but so long as it doesn't sound like a cow being tortured in the cabin while I'm cruising on the freeway, I'm good.

Stock muffler + resonator delete, drone?
Muffler delete + stock resonator, drone?
Muffler replaced with bottle/bullet resonator + stock resonator, drone?
I can only comment on my set up since I have no experience with the set ups you have listed. I have deleted the resonator and the 2 1/4 tubing that follows and replaced them with a Magnaflow muffler (I can't remember which part number, but it is oval, maybe 18 to 20 inches long and 2 1/2 in and out) and 2 1/2" tubing. I have also removed the factory muffler and replaced it with an MRT axle back that has a J-tube (Helmholtz resonator to cancel drone). I have no drone and it is fairly quiet until I plant my right foot, and then it is fairly loud. I was fortunate enough to get the axle back when they first came out for $199.00; I believe they are $299.00 now.

Reactions: CDB

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm still drooling over the 350... I'm ashamed to admit the things I would do to have that car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still drooling over the 350... I'm ashamed to admit the things I would do to have that car.
I'm not. Actually...I just walked into the dealership before anyone else. :lol:

Thanks for the info guys. I MIGHT just give it a shot with an M80 replacement for the muffler. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
I'm not. Actually...I just walked into the dealership before anyone else. :lol:

Thanks for the info guys. I MIGHT just give it a shot with an M80 replacement for the muffler. We'll see.
I would do the resonator delete and replace the 2 1/4 length of tubing; it's a choke point. My resonator was very discolored from heat due to restriction when it was removed. The factory muffler actually flows pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts