Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to do the entire interior with Redline Goods and am having trouble making a decision on color scheme and thread style/color because of all the choices. All opinions welcome!!

My '17 ST3 is Metallic and I've started doing kind of a red theme because of the red calipers (it was easy) but want to start going to a white and a red theme.

My current thought is something similar to below, dual tone colors, but even though I really like the red piping, I think I'd do a red stripe so the threads match the threads on the seats. But not sure if white threads would be too busy because with a stripe, you'd have contrasting white threads on black, white threads on red, but then white threads on white.

I also want to do the door panels but am not sure how the dual tone will look on it. Something like below with a similar red stripe but either black on top and white on bottom or vise versa (not sure what would look better).

Please give me your honest opinions! I'm not sure if the white will be too much on the interior since the entire is black right now.

Thank you!

Reactions: Mithosi

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I'm looking to do the entire interior with Redline Goods and am having trouble making a decision on color scheme and thread style/color because of all the choices. All opinions welcome!!

My '17 ST3 is Metallic and I've started doing kind of a red theme because of the red calipers (it was easy) but want to start going to a white and a red theme.

My current thought is something similar to below, dual tone colors, but even though I really like the red piping, I think I'd do a red stripe so the threads match the threads on the seats. But not sure if white threads would be too busy because with a stripe, you'd have contrasting white threads on black, white threads on red, but then white threads on white.

I also want to do the door panels but am not sure how the dual tone will look on it. Something like below with a similar red stripe but either black on top and white on bottom or vise versa (not sure what would look better).

Please give me your honest opinions! I'm not sure if the white will be too much on the interior since the entire is black right now.

Thank you!
First off, I LOVE white. It's my thing lol...shoot back in High School I wore a white tux. Pretty fly, right?

Anyway, so that top image would definitely be too much white. It would need to be slightly less in my eyes, but my eyes aren't yours. It's your car and if you're doing something like this to really make the car YOUR car, then do what feels best to you my man.

It'll look sick and I haven't seen anyone incorporate white yet. We all know black and red looks amazing, throw in a white contrast and keep it subtle as an accent and it'll pop. In for updates!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyway, so that top image would definitely be too much white. It would need to be slightly less in my eyes, but my eyes aren't yours. It's your car and if you're doing something like this to really make the car YOUR car, then do what feels best to you my man.

It'll look sick and I haven't seen anyone incorporate white yet. We all know black and red looks amazing, throw in a white contrast and keep it subtle as an accent and it'll pop. In for updates!
Problem is, I'm having a hard time deciding haha. It's difficult to visualize what the end product will look like. I don't think the top image looks like too much white at all but then again the interior of my ST is black on black on black, so it could be too much.

I don't really want to do all black and red though I think it will be a little over done. I think splashes of white here and there will really look slick.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Problem is, I'm having a hard time deciding haha. It's difficult to visualize what the end product will look like. I don't think the top image looks like too much white at all but then again the interior of my ST is black on black on black, so it could be too much.

I don't really want to do all black and red though I think it will be a little over done. I think splashes of white here and there will really look slick.
The part I bolded, YES. It needs just touches of white...else it will definitely look odd with the black on black all around it. UNLESS you change the black on black somehow...
But when our doors, headliner, dash, etc is literally full black it makes that unlikely. Could do something cool like make the boost gauge pod thing have a white/red face? Then it'll suddenly blend the dash into the equation

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The part I bolded, YES. It needs just touches of white...else it will definitely look odd with the black on black all around it. UNLESS you change the black on black somehow...
But when our doors, headliner, dash, etc is literally full black it makes that unlikely. Could do something cool like make the boost gauge pod thing have a white/red face? Then it'll suddenly blend the dash into the equation
I probably could come up with something, although I dig the carbon fiber too haha.

Maybe I can make something myself that still incorporates CF but also has a backdrop of white with red accents. Because your right, if i do 2 tone white and black on the center arm rest, all 4 door panels, ebrake boot, shift boot, and sun visors, then everything is pretty well tied in except for the dash!

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I probably could come up with something, although I dig the carbon fiber too haha.

Maybe I can make something myself that still incorporates CF but also has a backdrop of white with red accents. Because your right, if i do 2 tone white and black on the center arm rest, all 4 door panels, ebrake boot, shift boot, and sun visors, then everything is pretty well tied in except for the dash!
Exactly, our HUGE all black dash/pods really throws off the balance when you look into the car. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly, our HUGE all black dash/pods really throws off the balance when you look into the car. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Lol, huge.

I actually just stumbled across black cat who does custom gauge cluster backings. Will probably just use them, the few other focus's I see on here and other forums looks pretty decent with them. Although I couldn't find anyone who did the boost gauge cluster in white.

Hmm, now I need money for all this! Haha good thing tax return season is almost here. And I still need to sell my Cobalt :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any other opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
If you want something simple that is subtle, but really pops at the same time, get some colored piping and install it on the sort of horizontal seam on your door panels.
I got a roll of blue that matches my Recaro inserts almost perfectly, and it looks fantastic! It really pops against the sea of black on the door panels; I applied it on all four doors. No pics since my ST is in hibernation, but you won't be disappointed.
I don't remember where I got it, but I'm pretty sure I just Googled upholstery piping.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sorry, for the book, but you asked...

Firstly, I love white/black color contrast and i think i'm going to like whatever you do. I've found myself owning a white vehicle since I was 16 (double that now) and always try to find a way to bring that into the interior as well. My previous vehicle which was my 18-31 years old car was a 98 mustang convertible that I drove the wheels off of. Had it until I traded it in for the ST.
WP_20140510_003.jpg
Its a bad angle for illustration purposes, but You can see just enough of the driver's seat and the passenger door panel to notice the white. I went with Katzkin(sic) leather seats and the upholstery guy had just enough left to do the "insert" portion of the door panels in white. It looked really nice. My biggest complaint, and this is very likely just me, is the piping. Piping made things feel cheaper in my opinion. They didn't quite get the piping right on the door panel and it bothered me until I traded the car. If I had to do it over again I would go the extra mile and do counter/contrast stitching everywhere it was possible to replace the piping.

That being said I think Brian60 is right. Moderation is key. I learned another lesson with the mustang, I had primarily white seats, and I swapped the gauge cluster with white faces and that was almost too much. Before doing this mind you, i was completely OK with having a completely white interior, and when i say completely i mean not a stitch of anything else. Afterwards I learned to tone it down a bit.

In the ST there is certainly a lot of black, so I've been breaking it up a bit with vinyl wraps, because its easy to go back if I don't like it, and much less expensive than the leather. I'm doing the same color palette you are with this one:
WP_20170319_17_37_58_Pro.jpg

I have more to do obviously but going in the same direction.

I personally don't think the photos you showed to be "too much" but it would certainly be an opinion based matter. To each their own. I really like mixing it up with the carbon fiber, and I think the balance is pretty good. The visual overload might simply come from the zoomed in nature of the perspective, meaning it isn't offsetting like it would in person because most of the photo has the changes in it.

For me personally breaking up the interior would basically be two to four items on the dash, one or two small items on each door, a center focal point (stick with shift column or the center console but not both) and then if possible carry one or two items into the back bench area. Anymore than this and it will quickly start looking to busy. If your'e being especially adventurous then an overhead touch.

Ultimately the trick isn't necessarily doing everything, but being consistent in how you apply the changes. Also, if you ever plan on selling the car keep some of the original parts around that you replace. Its like selling a home, people buy beige and gray, but they walk away from bright colors for the most part.

Also for context i'm starting to bring the red to the exterior and engine bay. I got some of the race red spray for my engine cover and what not and i like it. The exterior i started with a pin stripe along the bottom and "aggressive" portions, but am likely to change the front bumper a bit soon.
ST Front.jpg
ST BACK 2.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My biggest complaint, and this is very likely just me, is the piping. Piping made things feel cheaper in my opinion. They didn't quite get the piping right on the door panel and it bothered me until I traded the car. If I had to do it over again I would go the extra mile and do counter/contrast stitching everywhere it was possible to replace the piping.
Like you said, to each his own haha because I actually really like the piping but since it won't match the ST3 seat stitching I'm not going to get it.

That being said I think Brian60 is right. Moderation is key. I learned another lesson with the mustang, I had primarily white seats, and I swapped the gauge cluster with white faces and that was almost too much. Before doing this mind you, i was completely OK with having a completely white interior, and when i say completely i mean not a stitch of anything else. Afterwards I learned to tone it down a bit.

In the ST there is certainly a lot of black, so I've been breaking it up a bit with vinyl wraps, because its easy to go back if I don't like it, and much less expensive than the leather. I'm doing the same color palette you are with this one:
View attachment 303058
Man I gotta say I really dig those vinyl wraps. And your exactly right, easy to remove. I think that picture is confirming my choice of wanting to go white. My gf is trying to talk me out of the white haha but idk, that looks pretty good. The vinyl is a nice way to tie in the dash too if I go with white accented leather.

For me personally breaking up the interior would basically be two to four items on the dash, one or two small items on each door, a center focal point (stick with shift column or the center console but not both) and then if possible carry one or two items into the back bench area. Anymore than this and it will quickly start looking to busy. If your'e being especially adventurous then an overhead touch.

Also for context i'm starting to bring the red to the exterior and engine bay. I got some of the race red spray for my engine cover and what not and i like it. The exterior i started with a pin stripe along the bottom and "aggressive" portions, but am likely to change the front bumper a bit soon.
View attachment 303066
View attachment 303074
That pin striping looks really nice too, very subtle but makes all the features pop.

So here are my current thoughts.....what's your opinion?
Shift Boot: Dual tone, 2 panels black and 2 panels white with each seem having a red leather stripe (not piping because of the seats) and then all white threads to match the seat threads
eBrake Boot: Dual tone, driver side panel black, passenger side panel white, red stripe down the center theme, all white stitching
Center Armrest: Dual tone, black top panel, white side panels, red stripe down the seems and all white stitching
Door Panels: Replacing canvas inserts, dual tone, white on bottom (to match bottom of armrest), black on top, red stripe horizontally through lower center, all white stitching
Sunvisor cover: Black leather, white diagonal strap across corner, maybe a red stripe on opposite side off center almost like a racing stripe just to tie red in to the visor, and then all white stitching
All gauges, including boost cluster: White face with glowing red numbers, that way the dash is tied into the white.
Steering Wheel Ford Logo: Black with white lettering

And then maybe do a white/red vinyl wrap on a couple small dash pieces like you did to further tie in the dash.
I would like to keep all the carbon fiber accent pieces although I may make a custom shift knob that incorporates just a tad of white in it. I small stripe or something.

I don't plan on doing much to the outside but want to paint the engine cover with white and red

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like a good plan for the most part. I would (key word I) change a couple things. Center "arm rest" I would put white on top with black on the sides. Your other areas seem to have the red stripe in contact with the white, so I would be consistent (sounds like you are doing this on the door panel too, which I like). Now if by "red stripe down the center" you don't mean over the top but at some point between the black and white then that should work. The other reason I would likely do white on top is because it comes in contact with stuff (debris, drinks, stuff falling in the crack) less often so it might last longer looking clean on top than on the side.

Next I'd keep the red theme on the visor like you said but I'd probably "pinstripe" the white edge with the red. Again this keeps contact between red and white and prioritizes the white (larger band, maybe 3/4" white and 1/4" red?

I drew some sketches at lunch. It helped me visualize the idea, and I like it.

WP_20180112_14_16_50_Pro.jpg

The right "door panel" is more how you described it. When I was drawing I thought it might be better to go all white since there is already a lot of black on that door. however after redrawing it, the two tone would work really well with my white door pull, so that would be cool. Sorry the sketches kinda suck, was mostly doing these from memory and a brief glimpse at my car during my break. Who is fabricating these for you? I'm getting interested :p

Reactions: ScottyT and brian60

·
Registered
92 Posts
Also, the gauge cluster's are likely the next thing I buy. Black Cat has some awesome stuff. I might go all white and then trim the "cut" edge of the cluster in red vinyl.. I think i'm getting carried away :p

https://www.blackcatcustom.com/focus-11.htm

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Sounds like a good plan for the most part. I would (key word I) change a couple things. Center "arm rest" I would put white on top with black on the sides. Your other areas seem to have the red stripe in contact with the white, so I would be consistent (sounds like you are doing this on the door panel too, which I like). Now if by "red stripe down the center" you don't mean over the top but at some point between the black and white then that should work. The other reason I would likely do white on top is because it comes in contact with stuff (debris, drinks, stuff falling in the crack) less often so it might last longer looking clean on top than on the side.

Next I'd keep the red theme on the visor like you said but I'd probably "pinstripe" the white edge with the red. Again this keeps contact between red and white and prioritizes the white (larger band, maybe 3/4" white and 1/4" red?

View attachment 303226

The right "door panel" is more how you described it. When I was drawing I thought it might be better to go all white since there is already a lot of black on that door. however after redrawing it, the two tone would work really well with my white door pull, so that would be cool. Sorry the sketches kinda suck, was mostly doing these from memory and a brief glimpse at my car during my break. Who is fabricating these for you? I'm getting interested :p
Wow. Okay, I gotta give you props on being very helpful with these sketches especially. Above and beyond! The sketches don't "suck" they are actually pretty damn accurate for me to be able to visualize the interior parts. I'm impressed!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

View attachment 303226
Dang dude you rock. Awesome sketches, you're a good drawer. Tonight while I'm snowed in with the 12" we're supposed to get I'll whip up some drawings myself and post them.

I really appreciate the input and thought you put into MY car, although it sounds like it may be for you as well lol.

I'm sticking with black on top of the armrest, i think white on top is too much (obviously you like white more than I do haha). And yeah correct idea on door panel inserts although I'll reverse the white and black. The sun visor i wasn't set on, I thought of the red stripe to the side when I typed it haha but it will definitely look better as a small stripe next to the wider white like you drew.

I believe the differences in our cars is that I have a 15+ ST3. So my ebrake boot is leather like the shift boot. Also, I'm not gonna change the door handles because they are carbon fiber just like my shift knob, ebrake handle, and boost gauge cluster housing face or whatever you want to call it. The CF I think will look really nice against the white/red leather door panel insert.

So I'm going to have redline goods do all the leather, they do completely custom pieces and will ship anywhere, they're in Poland. I've already talked to the owner and asked his opinion. It's very reasonably priced for real thick Italian leather although from some pictures I've seen they're stitching looks a little rushed sometimes. But from reviews I've read they have amazing customer service and will fix anything you're not satisfied with. And black cat is who I'm going to go to for the white gauges. I have them quoting me right now because I want the ST logo on the faces and probably custom tick marks as well.

I finally sold my old Chevy Cobalt last night so I have some extra cash for this, although it really won't be too bad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dang dude you rock. Awesome sketches, you're a good drawer. Tonight while I'm snowed in with the 12" we're supposed to get I'll whip up some drawings myself and post them.

I really appreciate the input and thought you put into MY car, although it sounds like it may be for you as well lol.

I'm sticking with black on top of the armrest, i think white on top is too much (obviously you like white more than I do haha). And yeah correct idea on door panel inserts although I'll reverse the white and black. The sun visor i wasn't set on, I thought of the red stripe to the side when I typed it haha but it will definitely look better as a small stripe next to the wider white like you drew.

I believe the differences in our cars is that I have a 15+ ST3. So my ebrake boot is leather like the shift boot. Also, I'm not gonna change the door handles because they are carbon fiber just like my shift knob, ebrake handle, and boost gauge cluster housing face or whatever you want to call it. The CF I think will look really nice against the white/red leather door panel insert.

So I'm going to have redline goods do all the leather, they do completely custom pieces and will ship anywhere, they're in Poland. I've already talked to the owner and asked his opinion. It's very reasonably priced for real thick Italian leather although from some pictures I've seen they're stitching looks a little rushed sometimes. But from reviews I've read they have amazing customer service and will fix anything you're not satisfied with. And black cat is who I'm going to go to for the white gauges. I have them quoting me right now because I want the ST logo on the faces and probably custom tick marks as well.

I finally sold my old Chevy Cobalt last night so I have some extra cash for this, although it really won't be too bad.

Awesome, I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm very interested in getting a custom ST logo on my gauge cluster as well. Wish we could partner up on a buy for it but i'm 2014 and only go to 160 mph :/. I'm definitely saving up for those though. Its between those and custom wheels. one requires wife approval though :p she got carried away at Christmas so i may have to wait on the wheels.
I'll take a look at Redline, that sounds awesome, though I don't know when I'd do leather replacement, unless they could do a full dash replacement like the mustang GT premiums.

Keep me posted and congrats on the cobalt sell!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome, I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm very interested in getting a custom ST logo on my gauge cluster as well. Wish we could partner up on a buy for it but i'm 2014 and only go to 160 mph :/. I'm definitely saving up for those though.
Yeah gauge faces are a little pricey for what they are. I'm satisfied with my wheels though. I actually live the look of the premium wheels and in the winter I have some 5 spoke rials that look decent enough for the price I got them at.

So here is my current thoughts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts