Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Learned some things today. Mini review & thoughts about AWE Touring catback & COBB

So, I've been working on swapping my DP and throwing in the AWE Touring Catback (non-resonated).
Been working on this little project for the last week (off & on). Never done any exhaust work, although I'm 45 and am no stranger to auto repair (though I love to tinker). I was amazed that I got it all in there and done, while working with Harbor Freight jack stands & Rhino Ramps. Got to a few points where I feared that I was in over my head... not so. Thanks to all who were polite and helped when I asked questions, this forum is a great asset.

So, I finished up this evening and wanted to hear/feel the fruits of my labor. Well... can't say I'm totally happy and I knew it that was a possibility. Here's my mini 30 mile review of the AWE Touring non-resonated catback (keeping in mind I also added a CJ PonyParts catted DP). Oh, and I loaded the latest COBB OTS Stage 3 tune for use until I get a revision from Stratified.

What I liked- Fitment, was pretty good. I put it all together, and it centered straight away. As advertised, it's pretty mellow when going easy and at 65-70 mph, no drone. In the cabin w/windows up, not horribly loud. Some cool crackles & pops (if you're into that).

What I didn't like- Step on it and it's obnoxiously loud, and to me, sorry, I feel a bit ratty sounding (I know some like this). Yes, the CJ PP video is pretty darn accurate. While overall fitment is good, the tips are too close to the top of the bumper cutout. i'm sure people good or experienced with exhausts can fix that. Very loud on startup and on the outside (yes, everyone will hear you coming). Perhaps the resonated version is more mellow, but for my near 46yr. old ears, this one is coming off. Guess I'll throw the Mountune back on this weekend. Not a bad exhaust, just more than what I'm looking for. Less drone than the MBRP XP series, but a good bit louder.

Now, on to COBB- How uninspiring are their OTS tunes?!?! I loaded the latest Stage 3 tune for use until I get a revision. The car feels less powerful & peppy than when I had the basic Stratified stage 0 flash tune. Sad... very sad. :doh:

Overall, although I'm disappointed in the AWE, I take pride in the fact that I was able to do this install myself. So as of now, I've been able to install all the parts to get me to Stage 3. So, there's a win in there after all.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was disappointed when I heard their exhaust in the CJPP videos. AWEful in my opinion.

Can't deny that the fitment isn't perfect when they laser measure everything. Just need to make a quieter option

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like you should of gone resonated.. But hopefully it'll quite down a bit for you.

Thanks for the writeup.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear it, Dave. I was really pulling for you.
Yeah, I was hoping for better results. Oh, well guess I'll wait for the CNT to be back in stock. In the meantime, it's back under the car to throw the Mountune back on.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Yeah, I was hoping for better results. Oh, well guess I'll wait for the CNT to be back in stock. In the meantime, it's back under the car to throw the Mountune back on.
Could take it to an exhaust shop and have a resonator added; way easier than switching exhaust again.

Reactions: JeffKill

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Could take it to an exhaust shop and have a resonator added; way easier than switching exhaust again.
Hmmm... that's a possibility. Wonder which resonator to go with, seeing as the resonator would have to go before the muffler?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe awe can sell you there's.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I put a cobb catback and after aboat 1000 miles wish i had a montune and did not opt.for down plpe loud! Lot of money invested to be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put a cobb catback and after aboat 1000 miles wish i had a montune and did not opt.for down plpe loud! Lot of money invested to be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I completely agree with the last part!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I installed the FSWerks 3" Stealth CBE last weekend, and have been estatic about it. I almost went with Mountune, but wanted something just barely louder. Considered Thermal R&D, but it seemed too loud and I didn't like the tip. The AWE sounded really raspy on the CJPP videos, which is a shame since it's a beautiful exhaust. Took a gamble, and am very pleased.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed the FSWerks 3" Stealth CBE last weekend, and have been estatic about it. I almost went with Mountune, but wanted something just barely louder. Considered Thermal R&D, but it seemed too loud and I didn't like the tip. The AWE sounded really raspy on the CJPP videos, which is a shame since it's a beautiful exhaust. Took a gamble, and am very pleased.
I considered that one too. I gambled & lost!!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I considered that one too. I gambled & lost!!!!!
Try contacting AWE and see if they can sell you only the section of exhaust with the resonator, so it will convert your setup to the fully resonated version. I'm sure that will probably be more what you're looking for hopefully!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I remember reading something about how they do sell the resonated section if you want to get that, can't remember where I read that though...I just know that you can't do that with the track version as you are supposed to realize it is really ****ing loud...

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At this point I'm not really even that sure adding the resonated section would make this quiet enough. I'll send them an email to see if they do sell the resonated section. If not, I'll most likely throw it in the marketplace. It's a very well made system, just too loud for my taste.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hows the CJPP downpipe quality and fitment?? Im hoping to snag one next time theyre in stock..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hows the CJPP downpipe quality and fitment?? Im hoping to snag one next time theyre in stock..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure looks like a well made part to me. Fitment/alignment was good I suppose, I mean I got it in there. Was a PITA trying to hold it in place, while getting the V-band clamp to get into position, and tightening. Another set of hands would have done a world of good. I bought the DP during CJPPs' Memorial Day sale, so the install had been a long time coming.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try contacting AWE and see if they can sell you only the section of exhaust with the resonator, so it will convert your setup to the fully resonated version. I'm sure that will probably be more what you're looking for hopefully!
I did get in touch, but unfortunately the mid pipe w/resonator was a bit pricey. I'm going to list my AWE in the marketplace soon. :( In the meantime, the Mountune is back on. I'll likely get something else next spring.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If it's a tone or frequency aka drone you're irritated with, the resonator would help. But if it's too loud, you need a different muffler. You could bastardize the AWE perhaps, if you still like the looks of it, and add an inline muffler where a resonator would normally go? It's a hack job, but cheaper than buying yet another catback.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it's a tone or frequency aka drone you're irritated with, the resonator would help. But if it's too loud, you need a different muffler. You could bastardize the AWE perhaps, if you still like the looks of it, and add an inline muffler where a resonator would normally go? It's a hack job, but cheaper than buying yet another catback.
The system doesn't drone, which is nice. The issue is when you get on it, it's loud with kind of a higher pitched sound. The more I think about it, I'll most likely just list it for local sale and see if anyone bites. I hear systems around town that are in the ballpark of this AWE, it's just usually associated with a much younger driver!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts