Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have made the mistake of incorrectly bleeding my brakes and that has led me to develop a leaky seal in my master cylinder. I just want some confirmation and a second opinion on whether or not I have to replace it. If so, any tips or pointers pertaining to before/during/after mc installation? Cheers!
_DSC0378.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,417 Posts
I might have made the mistake of incorrectly bleeding my brakes and that has led me to develop a leaky seal in my master cylinder. I just want some confirmation and a second opinion on whether or not I have to replace it. If so, any tips or pointers pertaining to before/during/after mc installation? Cheers! View attachment 379636
Well the reservior has gasket seals, and it can rock some and spill. Ive experienced it first hand.

I've also replaced the master and booster, amongst way too many other parts, lol.

Hows your brake and clutch first hand?

How did you bleed them?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Being that its running down the outside of the case, id say its a spill, not a leak. The only exception would be a leak where the plastic meets the metal, but i dont think I've ever seen any cars leak there, nor can i see any bleeding procedure causing that leak to happen.

Reactions: efuentes29

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
343 Posts
I would degrease the area to rule out spillage. But it appears to be just that from your photo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the reservoir has gasket seals, and it can rock some and spill. I've experienced it first hand.

I've also replaced the master and booster, amongst way too many other parts, lol.

Hows your brake and clutch first hand?

How did you bleed them?
I may have overfilled my reservoir, so that might be my answer. my brakes feel fine. and the clutch is a bit sensitive. Meaning that I feel like that the clutch does not engage until halfway to hitting the floor. I've never bled my clutch but its in my todo list.

To bleed I use the two-man blee system. My roommate helps me out usually and at the beginning, told him to press the brake pedal to the ground. facepalm
So that's where my concern about leakage derives from.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

To bleed I use the two-man blee system. My roommate helps me out usually and at the beginning, told him to press the brake pedal to the ground. facepalm
Why facepalm? Thats the perfectly standard method to bleed without a power bleeder. You cant bottom the piston in the master using the pedal, only if you were bench bleeding can you cause damage by running the piston in too far.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why facepalm? Thats the perfectly standard method to bleed without a power bleeder. You cant bottom the piston in the master using the pedal, only if you were bench bleeding can you cause damage by running the piston in too far.
Right on! thanks for the reassurance
I inspected the area where I saw a leak but it’s seems dry no. Reservoir was probably just over filled.
Cheers!

·
Registered
225 Posts
That stuff stays around and usually takes a few times wiping it down, for it to go away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts