Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's always sad when I put it up for the Winter. I kind of enjoy driving my Winter beater for a month or so though. It's always nice to change up the pace. No way I'm driving the ST in what we had two years ago:

Snow Winter storm Blizzard Atmospheric phenomenon Winter

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
It's always sad when I put it up for the Winter. I kind of enjoy driving my Winter beater for a month or so though. It's always nice to change up the pace. No way I'm driving the ST in what we had two years ago:

View attachment 290897
And that is why I live in AZ, I get to drive all year round.:smile:

Reactions: RobertJ

·
Registered
151 Posts
I live in Ohio, my new ST is my daily, I don't understand putting a 20k car up for winter...I love it but its nothing special for me to be doing that to. LOL.
I also live in NE Ohio. I bought the ST as a fun daily driver and I use it as that all year long. I do admit the salt bugs me but that’s the life of a car in Cleveland.

I do take the wife’s awd if the roads are too bad though.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think it depends on where one lives, and if the ST is the only car.
Plus a lot of folks have a family history of driving beaters all Winter.
Their Dad did it, They do it.

One reason I love my ST is no more daily driving at rush hour. (retired!)
This also means no having to drive in a blizzard! I can wait it out.
I have Winter high performance snows, not drive through snow drift snow tires...

Then the fact all those other idiots sliding around... A beater? no problem...

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
i was going to drive mine today a little since it was 57F out, but it rained.

Reactions: RobertJ and mininsx

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
personally, I'm going to be driving my beater Caviler for most of the winter for a couple of reasons. first since they can't afford to take care of the roads around here any more and people are just plain sh!t drivers, I dont want somebody sliding through an intersection and destroying the ST (which in the past three years somebody has managed to do three times, and since its a $1500 car, I dont care about busted bumpers and dents)

second, old trusty rusty gets a lot better gas millage than the ST does and is the most reliable car with the lowest cost of maintenance I have ever seen.

third, it saves a lot of miles off of the ST and the plan is as soon as the ST is paid off, I need it to last long enough so that I can replace my Lincoln with a mustang for a summer car while it gets paid off and then the ST will become the winter beater.

forth, when they do decide to sale the roads, it will destroy a cars underbody extremely fast (when looking at used STs, it was very easy to tell which ones were not driven in the winter vs the cars that were driven year round)

fifth, trusty rusty has a remote start and there is not a bypass solution for 2015 PTS focuses.

and lastly, I'm not too cool to drive a POS to work and back every day. its just not worth the risk and wear to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I live in Ohio, my new ST is my daily, I don't understand putting a 20k car up for winter...I love it but its nothing special for me to be doing that to. LOL.
My Jeep is a nice change of pace, plus my ST needs to be in good shape when I retire in six years. I agree the ST is nothing special, but for me it's no big deal to put her up when the weather is crappy. I plan on driving it several years after my retirement. My Jeep was $900, and the insurance is dirt cheap. Every Summer I tackle a new project with it. This Summer was paint and I freshened up the exterior. I get why people don't want a Winter beater, but I enjoy an older car to work on.

Yesterday I changed the oil in the ST and gave her a quick wash. Here she is all snuggled in the garage for the Winter:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Hood

·
Registered
48 Posts
Winter wheels and tires are on the new '17ST so even here in NH I'm not real worried about the short commute to work. Well plus I have the Ram 1500 in case it gets bad out. Do worry about road salt etc but am more than happy to run either vehicle thru the local car wash on a regular basis. Looking forward to one of our big parking lots on campus being empty during the holiday break and covered in snow, donuts and power sliding here I come.

·
Registered
224 Posts
A good set of winter tires and wash every week and she's golden.
I drive my lowered static ST all winter, no issues.
If the snows too deep I do have a GMC Sierra to drive but the ST is just so much fun to drive in winter.
These cars are so easy to whip around go sliding in.
Snow Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Rim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since my XJ is my winter beater, I pick a project for it each summer. This year was paint. My Cherokee was a one owner when I bought it but parked outside which was rough on it. He did keep up with the mechanicals, but I don't think he cared much about how it looked. Here's the results:

How she was when I bought her:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Sport utility vehicle

Fresh paint:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep cherokee (xj) Sport utility vehicle

·
Registered
371 Posts
Vehicle cover Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle Roof

I live in North Eastern Indiana, past winters have not been that bad but I work out in the county and they plow the roads last. Better safe than sorry for me, plus my car needs a good long rest for all the abuse I do to it during the summer lol

EDIT: do not break your neck trying to look at my winter car lol

Reactions: RobertJ

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wish I had a winter beater! I'm not a big fan of driving in the snow and now that I have a nice car ('17 ST3) I'm a little paranoid about it. I drive cautiously in the snow but plenty of other people do not, those are the ones I worry about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I wish I had a winter beater! I'm not a big fan of driving in the snow and now that I have a nice car ('17 ST3) I'm a little paranoid about it. I drive cautiously in the snow but plenty of other people do not, those are the ones I worry about.
Right, often it's not you or the car you're driving, but the other pinheads on the road. I lost a beautiful '06 WRX when it was less than two years old that way. A 16 year old girl driving a Cavalier for the first time in the snow came into me head on. I hated to lose that car, and this was in '08 when they moved on to the next gen. I had it at Stage 2, and it was a wonderful car. Trying finding a used WRX that hasn't been beat on, and I didn't like the new body style. I had to move on from WRXs, and I've never had another. Ugh...

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Mine's in the garage, and I'm running around in my winter beater/work car, an '07 Mazda 6s (auto, yuk!). Can't say that my ST will stay in the garage all winter, after all I do have winter performance tires on it. I just don't take it out when it's wet/snowy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.