Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the best they do for road use. I'm not much interested in fancy (i.e. very expensive) race suspension, just the best they do for performance road use.

Registered
Either you get the ST suspension, or the KW v1. (KW owns ST)
The ST is modeled after the v1, but a lesser warranty, and slightly different materials. Same springs and valving.

If you live in a snow climate, go for the v1.

The another great alternative is the Bilstein B14 PSS. Or Koni/Ground Control combo. (Personally I've never like Koni's and their adjustment knob.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very little snow ever where I live. You could say that our weather is much like San Francisco, very changeable. One day it can by sunny, next it can be dreary and raining. Here it can be pretty wet in the winter, but mostly warm and sunny during the summer.

I didn't know you get KW suspension as standard in the ST? What would I need if I upgraded to 300bhp?

Vendor
He meant KW Suspension owns ST suspensions...

He also meant the ST Suspensions setup is "modeled after the KW V1"

KW has nothing to do with the standard "ST" assuming you meant Focus ST, for the factory parts.

Vendor

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the KW V1 is basically the same as you get on the stock Focus ST, only made with better materials?

Registered
So the KW V1 is basically the same as you get on the stock Focus ST, only made with better materials?
No. Just stop and listen, and re-read again.

There is the parent company KW Suspension. This is the flagship brand. They also own a "budget," brand called Suspension Techniques. Also referred to as "ST," in the late 80's to 90's, because we're just fat lazy f'ing American's. Back when the Fast and the Furious came out, they had a line of popular lowering springs.

These two companies have NOTHING to do with the Ford Focus ST stock suspension.
These two companies both make coilover suspensions for the Ford Focus ST.
The ST Coilover being the budget version of the KW v1 coilover.

The immediate differences between those two are a 5yr warranty vs limited lifetime (non-transferable), and INOX coated steel vs whatever metal ST uses. The INOX is mainly for corrosion resistance. Both use the polymer collars, share springs, and valving.

Does this make sense?
There is the platform, the Ford Focus ST. Then there are two brands KW and Suspension Techniques (referred as ST to many)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, thanks. The "ST" thing confused things for a while. It's a make of suspension rather than a reference to the Focus ST. All I was looking for was the best upgrade of suspension without getting expensive race suspension that I don't really need, because I'm not intending to race my car on the track.

Registered
Then save for the Mountune Cup Kit and be done with it.

No adjustment, just bolt-on and go. Brings the car down some but won't beat you up with ride quality and some will say it rides better than stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts