Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am new to the forums and new(ish) to an ST. I purchased a 2016 Kona Blue ST last month from my local dealer in Cambridge, ON.

I did not purchase any service plan, extended warranties etc. My brother-in-law is a Mechanic so I can use his excellent services when i need after the warranty expired.

I also did not bother with the Electronic Rust Protection. From what I have heard its not proven and sometimes the old fashioned way is best.

So I am booked in to get Krown Rust protection on my car. When the dealer tried to sell the warranty, service plan and rust module they said any thirsd party rest protection would invalidate the warrenty. To this I say rubbish.

But!... thought i'd ask if anyone else has used Krown/Rust check or such and had any problems with warranties. Also - anyone used Krown and have any feed back?

I love my ST, and I hope to look after it for years to come, but it is my daily driver, I've got snow tires ready to go. I will use it, I will drive it and I will do everything I can to maintain it. But it wont be pampered!

Cheers!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm assuming they meant any third party rust prevention would invalidate the warranty of the electronic rust prevention. I don't see how applying Krown would invalidate the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Its a good idea to use oil drip rustproofing its the best kind. Dealers say this nonsense to threaten and scare people away from doing Krown, so they can sell you their fools gold methods.
It will absolutely not invalidate your body rust warranty. Krown will help minimize rust on your brake lines and body and that can only be a good thing.
I have Krowned my 2010 Camry every year for the past 7 years and it looks mint underneath. The ST has been 3 years and it looks great too. I just hate the dripping on the rocker panels all year long especially noticeable on my white cars.
Do it and dont worry. Krown carries their own warranty provided you do it yearly, and will replace any rubber on your car that deteriorates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for replying.

Ford just said that using the oil based rust protection would invalidate the 3 Year, 60,000KM Warrenty. I don't believe it - but thought it worth asking if anyone had any problems. I've only lived in Canada for three years (Moved from England) so i have little first hand experience. I'm just making sure I look after my car as best possible in this climate.

Thanks for the feedback on Krown. I've seen a few cars that look like the oil had spread on the body work - just an excuse to clean it more often!

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts