Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I LOVE the look of the Konig Rennform but I've been trying to find wider wheels in hopes of getting better grip...realistically though is the difference between an 8" wide wheel and 8.5" or 9" wheel THAT different? The added weight and price of the tires to fit them are probably outweighing the subtle pros, correct? I wouldn't be getting the new wheels for quite a while, but I'm definitely going to do it in the future.

Reactions: Zeek

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think it would be better to invest in suspension and adjust that to get your grip. That plus good tires should compensate more than that half inch would.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
The type of tire will make the most difference in traction as opposed to size of tire and size of wheel. Compounds are the most important.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it would be better to invest in suspension and adjust that to get your grip. That plus good tires should compensate more than that half inch would.

The type of tire will make the most difference in traction as opposed to size of tire and size of wheel. Compounds are the most important.
I already have a set of Pilot Super Sports in my cart waiting to be ordered, so I think I have a pretty solid option for tires and need to just settle on keeping it 8" wide and lightweight.

I'm not adept on suspension but other than a traction bar what would help grip suspension wise? Not lowering the car in PA lol.

Reactions: Zeek

·
Registered
408 Posts
I already have a set of Pilot Super Sports in my cart waiting to be ordered, so I think I have a pretty solid option for tires and need to just settle on keeping it 8" wide and lightweight.

I'm not adept on suspension but other than a traction bar what would help grip suspension wise? Not lowering the car in PA lol.
Lowering is the only thing you can do. As a matter of fact, just lowering a car can actually cause you to have less grip. You have to compensate with camber and toe angle. The lower you go, usually the more negative camber you get. You adjust that with camber arms to balance it out. Remember the more tire you have touch the road the better your grip.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lowering is the only thing you can do. As a matter of fact, just lowering a car can actually cause you to have less grip. You have to compensate with camber and toe angle. The lower you go, usually the more negative camber you get. You adjust that with camber arms to balance it out. Remember the more tire you have touch the road the better your grip.

Yeah living in PA with our roads and winters coils/springs aren't a comfortable option for me unless/until I get a beater car.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts

I run the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they are great tires, but if you do some burnouts and heat cycle them too much they do not hook nearly as good as they do new. Also I live in Phoenix where it is hot to begin with. But the guys who have run them on a track say they will not hold up very well. So if you are using them for street use they are great but try not to do burn outs too much to prevent the heat cycling.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they are great tires, but if you do some burnouts and heat cycle them too much they do not hook nearly as good as they do new. Also I live in Phoenix where it is hot to begin with. But the guys who have run them on a track say they will not hold up very well. So if you are using them for street use they are great but try not to do burn outs too much to prevent the heat cycling.
Well I am anal about burning rubber and got Stratified/Cobb TC so no burnouts for me! I also won't be tracking, Autocross at the most on occasion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts