Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I'll save you some time for at least ST vs RS
Also Ford's own marketing when the RS was unveiled mentioned the additional camber built into the knuckles to differentiate from the ST.

So then it comes down to is there a difference between ST and regular Focus models. That's an unknown. I don't think there will be a difference personally.
Yea I had read the changes for the rs. But it also has noticable changes in design. From memory and photos the regular focus and ST appear to share the same knuckle.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
From memory and photos the regular focus and ST appear to share the same knuckle.
2013 Ford Focus ST Suspension Walkaround | Edmunds says there is a difference in the steering geometry.

"But the ST steering knuckle is unique because the steering geometry has been altered." and "One of the biggest changes to the ST concerns the steering arm (yellow), which is cast as part of the steering knuckle. It's significantly shorter, which quickens the steering response dramatically."

"And so the Focus ST steers from lock-to-lock in something like 1.8 turns, whereas the standard Focus does the same in 2.6 turns. Most of this huge difference indeed comes from the quicker ratio, but a portion comes from the need to restrict the amount of lock somewhat so the shorter arm doesn't get too close to its over-center toggle point. The amount of lost lock can be seen in the ST's 39.4-foot turning radius, up from 36.0 in the base Focus."

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I lost my paper i wrote my measurements on it wasn't a huge difference but was different and. returned it and i'll press a new hub and bearing in my current knuckle.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, definitely a difference between regular Focus and ST. I just bought one of the two St knuckles because I'm preparing to convert my Focus S suspension/steering to ST, and the arm for the tie rod end is different. The Edmunds article explains it well, but also by looking closely you'll find the ST has a shorter arm with a round end. The regular is longer and the end is more like an oval.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts