Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fuse in my car to a methanol pump and, besides other safe guards I have in place, I would like an indicator if the 15amp fuse between the battery and the pump blows. There are simple LED lights that can be flush mounted to the dash.

Does anyone know how I can wire up something so that when the 15amp view blows the LED lights can turn on?

This is the type of LED I would use.

70081820_large.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I have a fuse in my car to a methanol pump and, besides other safe guards I have in place, I would like an indicator if the 15amp fuse between the battery and the pump blows. There are simple LED lights that can be flush mounted to the dash.

Does anyone know how I can wire up something so that when the 15amp view blows the LED lights can turn on?

This is the type of LED I would use.

Why don't you just wire in such a fashion to where if the fuse blows the light goes out. So if the light is out, then the pump isn't working. Instead of having to try and figure at way to make it light up.

EDIT: Otherwise here ya go http://electronicsforu.com/electronics-projects/blown-fuse-indicator

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you just wire in such a fashion to where if the fuse blows the light goes out. So if the light is out, then the pump isn't working. Instead of having to try and figure at way to make it light up.

EDIT: Otherwise here ya go BLOWN FUSE INDICATOR - Electronics For You
That's true - I could just have the light on all the time (could use a blue or green light in that case). But I think that would be a little more annoying that to only have the light come on when it matters.

Thanks - I'll check that link.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That's true - I could just have the light on all the time (could use a blue or green light in that case). But I think that would be a little more annoying that to only have the light come on when it matters.

Thanks - I'll check that link.
Normally opened relay controlling the led using the fuse source as the trigger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This would just be a LED and diode across the fuse in its simplest form. You know you can purchase fuse holders that have this already? You can also purchase fuses that light up when blown.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This would just be a LED and diode across the fuse in its simplest form. You know you can purchase fuse holders that have this already? You can also purchase fuses that light up when blown.
The fuse is up under the passenger dash, but I could re-locate it if I really needed to. Yeah, I've sen those holder and lighted fuse options. But the dash mounted light above would be a cleaner option that would prefer.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Relay and wire would only cost >$20

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Relay and wire would only cost >$20
that is an expensive relay...

personally, if it were me, Id rather have the LED wired into the pumps power supply, that way it would light up any time that it is spraying. by just having the light on the fuse, it still leaves you open to more failures that the light wouldn't show... for instance, if the system had power but there was a problem with the controller, the light wouldn't come on, but neither would the spray.

but yes, as mentioned above, you don't even need the relay, you can just wire the led right to each side of the fuse, then as long as the bridge is still there inside the fuse, the LED wont light, but as soon as it blows the LED will light up. that is all there is inside of a Glow Fuse, no kind of special electronic parts other than the LED is needed.

if you want to get fancy with it, you could build this. Blown Fuse Indicator Circuit With Led - All

1 - 9 of 9 Posts