Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assuming this rate is for low speed pre ignition ? Not 100 percent sure though. Did a burn out in my car for a couple seconds and then the rate went to .6. Am hoping someone can explain this to me so I can understand moving forward.

Stage 3 93 octane Cobb ots map

·
Registered
196 Posts
"Knock PI Det Rate – If preignition is detected this is the rate of intensity of the event."

It caps at 1.5 and will reduce over time if PI isn't detected. Were you monitoring anything else? You should have seen pretty significant corrections for it to jump to 0.6.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what else should i be monitoring in addition to that and how bad in your opinion is that .6 number should i take it easy more with the car ?

·
Registered
196 Posts
what else should i be monitoring in addition to that and how bad in your opinion is that .6 number should i take it easy more with the car ?
Honestly, I'm not too sure about knock pi det rate. It isn't really discussed much and none of my tuners have ever asked me to log it. I did just check mine though and I'm sitting at 0.0. Anyway, typically the most important thing to monitor is ignition correction on cyl 1-4. Ignition correction is the ECUs reaction to knock in which it pulls or adds ignition timing - positive values are good (adding timing) and negative values are bad (pulling timing). However, depending on your tune, it is typical to see negative corrections, what you want to look out for is continuous negative corrections through a pull or when just cruising.

The other thing to keep an eye on is octane adjusted ratio learned (OAR). This value ranges from -1 to 1. This value is used as a multiplier and is essentially learned from ignition correction. A value close to or at -1 means the engine isn't experiencing much detonation. A value close to or at +1 means you are experiencing a lot of detonation and fuel quality is probably very low.

And lastly it might be worth monitoring air-fuel ratio. Anything above 12.5 or so during a WOT run means you are running very lean and that can cause serious engine damage.

Out of curiosity, who is your tuner and what are you mods?

Here is a blog by Stratified discussing knock and ignition correction: Blog : Understanding knock and ignition corrections in your Ecoboost powered Ford : Stratified Automotive Controls

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I'm not too sure about knock pi det rate. It isn't really discussed much and none of my tuners have ever asked me to log it. I did just check mine though and I'm sitting at 0.0. Anyway, typically the most important thing to monitor is ignition correction on cyl 1-4. Ignition correction is the ECUs reaction to knock in which it pulls or adds ignition timing - positive values are good (adding timing) and negative values are bad (pulling timing). However, depending on your tune, it is typical to see negative corrections, what you want to look out for is continuous negative corrections through a pull or when just cruising.

The other thing to keep an eye on is octane adjusted ratio learned (OAR). This value ranges from -1 to 1. This value is used as a multiplier and is essentially learned from ignition correction. A value close to or at -1 means the engine isn't experiencing much detonation. A value close to or at +1 means you are experiencing a lot of detonation and fuel quality is probably very low.

And lastly it might be worth monitoring air-fuel ratio. Anything above 12.5 or so during a WOT run means you are running very lean and that can cause serious engine damage.

Out of curiosity, who is your tuner and what are you mods?

Here is a blog by Stratified discussing knock and ignition correction: Blog : Understanding knock and ignition corrections in your Ecoboost powered Ford : Stratified Automotive Controls
To answer your last question first I don't actually have a tuner I'm using the Cobb ots tunes and before you comment on that I know they're not the best lol I'm going to contact someone at stratified and get one if their flash tunes just want to make sure I'm getting the best option for my car. I monitor afr boost pressure and charge air temps as well as coolant temps I will start monitoring the ones you suggested there's so many gauges it's hard to know what it has and what's actually useful lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts