Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90k miles
oem front struts

drivers front knocks when turning off elevation or when quickly turning side to side.

replaced the cheapest most common thing first (sway bar end link) and not finding any issues with tie rod ends or the ball joint.

leaning toward a strut bearing. is this a common failure with these cars?

first real issue ive had with this car. is it time for coilovers?

·
2,765 Posts
Did you replace both front links, or just the one?

Strut bearings usually knock on small rapid bumps (like gravel driveway) or sudden dropoffs (like dropping into a pothole). You usually don't get noise rocking the car side to side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noise was comin from drivers front so i guess it could be me being deaf.

i guess ill pick up another end link and give it a shot.

·
2,765 Posts
Remember both links are connected To the same bar. Its impossible To guess based on where you think the sound comes from.

The best way to diagnose links is, vehicle on flat ground, lay on your back and place a hand under the car on each link while someone else rocks the car side to side. You'll feel a clear thud when you find the bad one. Its best to open a door and use that for extra leverage to rock the car.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
789 Posts
Remember both links are connected To the same bar. Its impossible To guess based on where you think the sound comes from.

The best way to diagnose links is, vehicle on flat ground, lay on your back and place a hand under the car on each link while someone else rocks the car side to side. You'll feel a clear thud when you find the bad one. Its best to open a door and use that for extra leverage to rock the car.
Hmmm, I get what your saying but reminds me of occasionally fighting with the door on a previously wrecked car to get it to seal enough to stop wind noise.

At least pliers worked in a pinch on the gusset seals on frameless subie windows 😊😁

·
2,765 Posts
You lay next to the car with your arm reached behind the tire. Unless you've Got tree trunks for arms, you can still do it.

Reactions: SDCheetah

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update. ordered another endlink anyways. probably time to swap as it is although i do plan to get coilovers so i might just swap to some whitelines. havent decided yet.

got the car in the air yesterday and everything felt tight. a friend noticed a tiny crack in the outer tie rod end boot. i slapped some grease in there and havent heard any noise since. ordered another couple outer ends with grease fittings, hopefully that's all this is.

car needed a couple tires and an alignment anyways

1 - 12 of 12 Posts