Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here's the deal my son's Focus ST only has one key fob so I need to get another one in case he loses it. Don't want to pay retail, $175, for a key fob and then spend another 40 or 60 to get it programmed. Has anybody bought a used focus, Focus ST, or RS key fob and had it programmed for an ST?

I've talked to six different dealerships and they all give me conflicting information. Some say the only difference between an RS fob and an ST key fob or regular focus key fob is the actual logo that's on the shell, I've had other dealerships tell me that the inside guts of the key fob is different in the RS because it comes from Germany and it uses a different frequency I've had some toll me I can do it. I've had some tell me you can't even have a used key fob from a focus programmed to your car because it's married to another car.

just trying to get my feelers out here so I can make a good decision and don't have to pay twice for something.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Okay so here's the deal my son's Focus ST only has one key fob so I need to get another one in case he loses it. Don't want to pay retail, $175, for a key fob and then spend another 40 or 60 to get it programmed. Has anybody bought a used focus, Focus ST, or RS key fob and had it programmed for an ST?

I've talked to six different dealerships and they all give me conflicting information. Some say the only difference between an RS fob and an ST key fob or regular focus key fob is the actual logo that's on the shell, I've had other dealerships tell me that the inside guts of the key fob is different in the RS because it comes from Germany and it uses a different frequency I've had some toll me I can do it. I've had some tell me you can't even have a used key fob from a focus programmed to your car because it's married to another car.

just trying to get my feelers out here so I can make a good decision and don't have to pay twice for something.
I have no idea, but, here's some reading on the subject:
https://www.google.com/search?q=key...YAhUS32MKHU9kASkQrQIIMigEMAA&biw=1536&bih=736

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I believe you can get a used one and just have it reprogrammed. Every now and again someone on here sells one for discounted prices (like $100 but that's still cheaper)

·
Registered
825 Posts
My ST key fob has a small real cut key inside.
Also, the key fob FITS into the steering wheel IF the battery dies to allow the fob to be used with a dead battery.
Any 'other' key fob is not going to have those things.

A used key fob.. IF it has the actual key inside is going to be cut wrong. So you would need a new small real key anyway.

I say spend the money and get a real fob programmed by the dealer.

Buying another pig in a poke fob hoping it will work? Maybe if you love to gamble.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ST key fob has a small real cut key inside.
Also, the key fob FITS into the steering wheel IF the battery dies to allow the fob to be used with a dead battery.
Any 'other' key fob is not going to have those things.

A used key fob.. IF it has the actual key inside is going to be cut wrong. So you would need a new small real key anyway.

I say spend the money and get a real fob programmed by the dealer.

Buying another pig in a poke fob hoping it will work? Maybe if you love to gamble.
I know there is a physical key that is cut in the inside of the fob it's self, regard less of if I get a new or used fob I will have to pay $40 to get a blank key and $20 to get it cut.

As far as the fob fitting in the steering wheel, I have never heard off this. Could you post a picture? Not worried about the battery in the fob dieing without a notice. The car gives you plenty of heads up that it's low.

And any focus fob I assume would fit, as they all are the same size.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sorry I do not have a picture..
But there is a flat circular plastic cover on the steering column right where a key would go.
Pry it off and under it is the opening for the key fob to use if the fob battery is dead.
The key fob IN the slot will start the car OK.

And I have no idea if 'any Focus fob' thing. ST has push button start.
MY 2012 Focus SE did NOT have the same fob at all as my 2014 ST.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I know where that plastic circle is. I will try it. The fob had to be a push button start 2013 or newer.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
If you have 1 key fob, you can use it to reprogram a second one your self. Someone on here figured out how to do it recently and posted u a how to.

$55 shipped from Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-...s-2015-2017-Ford-Focus-KR5876268/322607337218

Holy cow, I got this working.

Here's what worked for me on a 2017 ST1.

First of all ignore the instructions on the Ford owner website. They are wrong.

The instructions you need are in the owner's manual (pp. 68-69 of the 2017 edition). However, those instructions are incomplete. There is a missing final step #13: Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again. There will be no message on the instrument panel or any other way to tell it worked. But you should be able to use the buttons on the remote to lock & unlock the doors. Then set the OEM keys somewhere far from the car and test to make sure you can start the car with the one you just programmed.

I tried this dozens of times before I got it working. Two other things that may or may not have mattered when I finally got it working:

a) Remove any keychains from the IA keys.

b) When you set the IA keys in the center console, place them with the Ford logo facing down, and use the orientation as illustrated in the owner's manual -- with the fatter side pointed to the right).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since this old thread got bumped:

If you have 1 key fob, you can use it to reprogram a second one your self. Someone on here figured out how to do it recently and posted u a how to.

$55 shipped from Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-...s-2015-2017-Ford-Focus-KR5876268/322607337218

I'm trying to find the thread of the 'How to' but not having any luck.
Yeah I know there used to be a thread about this because I read it a long time ago but I couldn't find it either. I guess my only thing is I also read recently that if you have two fobs and both of them are programmed as primary fobs you can reprogram a third on your own.

But if you only had one fob you could not program the other one on your own. Does anybody have any clarification on this?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The keyfob battery, I was stuck at school cause my battery died. It reminded me, but I was being lazy ...Boo me.
Yeah, I change mine once it tells me that the battery is low, which is about every 2.5 years

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I might have found the answer to how many keys you have to have to program an additional one. Might be a little bias considering the source though. LOL

Before you start

There are a few things you should do before starting step 1:

Read the locks and security information in your owner’s manual.
Have two previously programmed Intelligent Access keys inside the vehicle and your unprogrammed Intelligent Access key readily available.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/locks-and-security/how-to-program-your-intelligent-access-key.html

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The keyfob battery, I was stuck at school cause my battery died. It reminded me, but I was being lazy ...Boo me.
You were not stuck... There is a provision for starting your car when the key fob's battery is dead. Instructions are in your manual.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
ah damn that does suck about needing 2 fobs to program a third. boo.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
ah damn that does suck about needing 2 fobs to program a third. boo.
It's always been a Ford thing since Ford started using chipped PATS keys.

It's a security thing, for example if you go somewhere and valet your car, that way if a shady valet also drove a Ford, that he can't just use your key to program his key to work with your car, then go to your house at a later time and drive your car away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
yeah that is logical.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts