Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the average on these? Seems odd that my '16 with less than 14k needs a battery replacement. My info screen keeps telling me I need to change mine. I've never had a key fob battery go bad, and the one for my Mazda 6 is 10 years old and still going strong.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That’s funny my ‘16 with a little less mileage started telling me that same thing about two weeks ago. The battery is easy to replace though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s funny my ‘16 with a little less mileage started telling me that same thing about two weeks ago. The battery is easy to replace though.

Yeah, it looks easy enough. Just seems odd that the fob battery only lasts 3 years. Hell, I got more life out of my cars OEM battery!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a remote start, so I typically use the FOB to start the car as I’m walking up. I do, occasionally, just walk up & grab the handles though. My Focus is a ‘13 & I just replaced the batteries in both FOBs last summer.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Amazon has these batteries pretty cheap when you buy a few at a time. I just bought like an 8 pack or something when i got the car. No big deal swapping the battery. I'm sure your mazda 6 doesnt have the keyless/proximity entry, i am guessing that uses a bit more battery?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just changed them on my '16 after I started getting the warning message on the dash. You can get a bunch of them on ebay too really cheap, even Wal-Mart gouges if you buy one or two at a time.
Only tough part was getting the back cover off the fob without scratching the hell out of it. If you grip the front half tight you can snap off the back without using a screwdriver. And yes, I think the passive entry and ignition makes the battery wear out faster than a standard lock/unlock fob. The fobs on my '99 Astro are still running on their originals.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah, it might be the passive entry and ignition as I just did the primary fob on my 130k+ mile 2016 while my 2012 had over 200k and was on its original batteries, but didn't have the passive entry or ignition button.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Don't forget how these keys work, unlike normal fobs that are only using power when a button is pressed, the car needs to "see" the key when ever it is close enough to the car. Prox keys are notorious for burning batteries up much quicker. how long should it last? I have no idea, I always replace the batteries in prox keys every two years. My Wifes escape is the same way, re replaced them when she first bought the car (3 years old) and then this summer, with no warning the key just died and stopped working.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is not normal. You should have reported it to your dealer when it was still under warranty
Joking I hope?

Anyways, another poster got the answer right. The batteries in proximity keys do not last as long as older key fobs. The reasoning is that the key is always sending out a little bit of signal so that the car can recognize the key when you walk up and when you push the start button vs older key fobs only send signal when pressing the buttons. We typically see 2-3 years of life out of the fob battery, don't forget to replace the battery in your other fob at the same time.

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I had My 14 ST, I sold it for the RS before the battery in the key fob needed to be replaced.

My 16 RS is 3 years old.. I had to replace the battery in the fob last week.

It's easy and it's the 2032 size battery that is in almost every car related remote... Took maybe 3 minutes total to replace.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just replaced mine for the second time. First one lasted three years before dash started telling me it needed replaced. Second one last about a year and car wouldn't start without putting the key in the center console but dash never said anything. Dealer told me after original, it should be replaced every six months!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the average on these? Seems odd that my '16 with less than 14k needs a battery replacement. My info screen keeps telling me I need to change mine. I've never had a key fob battery go bad, and the one for my Mazda 6 is 10 years old and still going strong.
Here is something everyone who is having this problem should look for. I was having this same problem with one of my Fobs. And why it didn’t dawn on me to look at this all the times I was putting new batteries in it and still having this problem is beyond me. When you have the Fob open to replace the battery look at the points that come into contact with the battery. Like the little ears that get pushed against the battery. These contacts need to be cleaned. All you need to do it is take a pencil eraser and rub them clean. When there shinny there good to go put in new battery and close it up. And it should work. Why they get all corroded is beyond me but they do. So try that before getting a new key fob.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my 2016 yesterday after a week of warnings. Pack of 5 for $1 at local flea market. Found a UTube vid where you pry the fob apart from inside after you remove the key so no scratches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just bought a '17 and on day one got a warning for low battery in a fob. Just replaced both at the same time and done with it for a few years.
I guess the days on keyfob batteries lasting for many years are gone, as they now do so much more. My '97 F-150 daily driver had had exactly two fob battery changes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, it looks easy enough. Just seems odd that the fob battery only lasts 3 years. Hell, I got more life out of my cars OEM battery!!!
My Harley key fob is every year whether it needs it or not. Cheap insurance to have it work when needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts