Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when life hands you a spare 2.0 it goes without saying....you build a 2.3!

This thread will cover my journey of building a 2.3 stroker to replace my 2.0. First off I want to thank @Bradley for offering to sell me the engine. Second, @SIstomper for some guidance in for the build. I've had my car up to 433whp with the last build, but went back to stock to work on another project. Well, that project never got off the ground, so I'm back in the land of FoST. The plan is pretty simple, rebuild the 2.0 into a 2.3 pavement shredder. The engine came with low compression on cyl 1. No surprise, after I tore it down, ringland failure. Luckily it stayed in place and didn't scratch the cylinder wall.

Parts include, but not limited to:
Mustang 2.3 crank
Mustang 2.3 rods
Focus 2.0 pistons
ARP Main bolts
ARP Head studs
Upgraded cams (not sure which "stage")
Head work (gasket matching, bowl and port work)
BSD kit
...more to come.

More pics to come to follow build.

IMG_5921.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a few more. I'll split them up so I don't bombard the thread and give you all a chance to enjoy.

IMG_5935.jpg IMG_5933.jpg IMG_5932.jpg IMG_5924.jpg IMG_5923.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stupid ringlands! Props to the previous owner for not driving on it anymore. Engine looks great. IMG_5939.jpg IMG_5938.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some head shots

Attachments

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Good stuff! In for results!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Cool. Any idea how many miles were on that engine? And are you going to be assembling it yourself?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. Any idea how many miles were on that engine? And are you going to be assembling it yourself?
I was told 20-30k. I know it can't be much. Everything is super clean and cross-hatch is still there. Plan is to do it myself. I'll get the block cleaned up and do a quick ball-hone. Send the rotating assembly off to get balanced, double check clearance and throw it together!

Reactions: angrychair

·
Registered
407 Posts
Keep us updated! Sounds like a really fun project. Would love to have the space/tools for that. Someday.....

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was told 20-30k. I know it can't be much. Everything is super clean and cross-hatch is still there. Plan is to do it myself. I'll get the block cleaned up and do a quick ball-hone. Send the rotating assembly off to get balanced, double check clearance and throw it together!
Nice, how much power do you want to get out of it? I don't really know what the 2.3's are capable of.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice, how much power do you want to get out of it? I don't really know what the 2.3's are capable of.
More than 433whp. LOL. That was my last personal best on my stock 2.0 2.3 stroker is pretty stout. Looking forward to some extra torque and a little quicker spool.

Reactions: jetmech

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Look at all that carbon buildup in the heads intake runners, oh my. Toss some better pistons in it :D and you should be good to go!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look at all that carbon buildup in the heads intake runners, oh my. Toss some better pistons in it :D and you should be good to go!
Just got the rods yesterday. Crank is on the way. Then some nice Manely pistons will be headed my way!
IMG_5989.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yah, although widened the cylinders to 88mm at the machine shop.
Also did a minor port and polish on the head unit. :wink:
Funny how small weak the stock parts look next to a nice big H-Beam rod and forged piston! My head is dropped off for major clean-up. I told him not to rush even though I want to see the finish product today! I won't be picky on time since I traded computer work for porting and bowl work! Yours is looking good though!

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Funny how small weak the stock parts look next to a nice big H-Beam rod and forged piston! My head is dropped off for major clean-up. I told him not to rush even though I want to see the finish product today! I won't be picky on time since I traded computer work for porting and bowl work! Yours is looking good though!
Thankyou very much!

Patience is differently something you'll need on a project like you'rs. It took a month and a half for my block to be finished and another 3 days to polish the intake runners and the exhaust port. Glad I went with an EFR system since their turbo and exhaust manifold is also polished.

Please keep us updated on how things are going?
You said you traded a computer for the job? Wow must of been some badass computer.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Computer work, i read it again. You in I.T?
I was an IT manager for 7 years and now am a video network engineer. It helped it was for my friend. He just needed some help with a game he had. It was very important to him. LOL
I will have some pic updates later. I got the block honed and washed up. Washed the timing cover and oil pan. Also go the BSD kit installed. I will start taping the block so I can paint.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are some updates from today. It was nice out so I got the block honed, washed and re-oiled. Also got the BSD installed. Nothing too special. Now I wait on parts! Ah!!! At least the project is moving in a positive direction.
Boss took over. I wasn't doing it right.
IMG_5998.JPG
Nice and clean!! IMG_6007.JPG
Interesting that it has a few "baffles" from the factory. IMG_6008.JPG
And it's purple. Oh well, won't be able to see it. IMG_6010.JPG
Now I bag it and wait on more parts. IMG_6012.JPG

1 - 20 of 214 Posts