Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sub instructions.PNG

I'm looking to wire in my powered sub, which specific slots in the fuse box should I use for "battery" and "ignition key switch acc position line"?

In particular I noticed that in the manual there are multiple slots labeled ignition, I want to make sure I tap into the correct one. Also I am planning to run the main power through the fuse box as opposed to connecting directly to the battery, but I am not sure what slot that would be labeled under.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
F43 in the rear is switched power. I would not try to run main power off the fuse block, that much current draw needs to come from at least an 8 AWG size wire, and will be too much for there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
that much current draw needs to come from at least an 8 AWG size wire
lol at needing 8 AWG wire for a maximum current draw of 10a and most of the time about half of that. if that was really the case then somebody should tell the Ford engineers because they have been using far less than 8 AWG to feed their power ports for years (our car uses 16-14 AWG at best and is also fused at 10 amps)

133894-590c09f7a2d36c6c2d20c8a40ce30816.jpg

I surely hope that he is not using 33'-42' of wire to connect his sub. I'd say he is safe using the wiring kit at came with the sub as Kenny would not sell something to people that was a fire hazard. if they did, they would not be in the business very long.

that being said, personally I would agree NOT to run it to a fuse box, the fuse boxes power feed is designed to support all of those circuits in that fuse box and with devices such as amplifiers that may need to draw a good amount of power fairly quickly, you could be robbing other devices on that same circuit of power. this tends to make thing like lights dimming more noticeable and especially on newer cars that are so computer dependent, you don't want to rob the wrong circuit of power. now while I don't think an amp with that low of power would really cause a lot of problems, its still not the right way to wire an amp up and is a practice that should be avoided, especially on a car as easy to work on as the focus. just do it the safe and right way the first time and not have a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts