Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The F1s arent bad tires only got about 20k out of them though. So I could have spent a lot of money on tires but if your like me " cheap" you dont want to spend more than you have to. So after researching and talking to my local shop. I ended up buying these...... https://www.amazon.com/Toyo-Extensa...qid=1493568644&sr=8-1&keywords=toyo+235+40+18.

They are pretty nice for the money. 108 w free shipping! Nice and quite, handle good too.Havent had them on when its cold. Which was a problem with the F1s. But so far they seem to be worth the money.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Hopefully they're good tires, but I can't say I'm a fan of your logic for buying them. Tires are the one part I'd never cheap out on, because they have a significant effect on so many aspects of the car.

·
Registered
797 Posts
$1 bet that OP puts regular in his tank too

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't have any experience with those Toyo tires, I'm genuinely curious to know how they work out for you and your driving style.

I went the other direction with tires. The F1s were OK in my book, but I changed to Michelin Pilot Super sports. They ride better, are stickier, and far more predictable in various conditions (cold, wet, cold & wet) than the F1s were. My thought is that there are only 4 places that your car touches the road, and you are entrusting your safety and life to those 4 6x8in contact patches. Even ignoring the more "spirited" driving that most ST owners do, I'd rather have a set of tires that at least meets those requirements for the type of vehicle I'm putting them on. Now when you add in the amount of torque the engine puts down, I want to make sure that the tires can take the punishment if I need to do any sudden acceleration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
55k and I use regular often...actually 150k between my '13 and '16...so what?

I think its pretty obvious what he is implying. Cheap tires and cheap gas means you don't care as much about the performance of your car as say someone with good tires and good gas. You're not hurting anything by "cheaping" out on either. You just aren't realizing your cars potential.

I know you are throwing your hat in the ring to be different, but really, no one cares what you run in your car or how many miles you drive.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I cant say much about cold driving for a few months.Otherwise they seem to stick pretty good.I certainly don't think that I am cheeping out either on these tires. granted I could have spent a lot more on nicer tires but they seem to be pretty good for the money and certainly a lot better than some of the cheap crap you can put on your car. It's definitely relative to your driving style and what you want out of the car but it's actually my wife's daily driver. You all should see the tires WhiteBlur is putting on his big turbo modded car!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think its pretty obvious what he is implying. Cheap tires and cheap gas means you don't care as much about the performance of your car as say someone with good tires and good gas. You're not hurting anything by "cheaping" out on either. You just aren't realizing your cars potential.

I know you are throwing your hat in the ring to be different, but really, no one cares what you run in your car or how many miles you drive.
And I care what you say because???

Let you make it clear I'm here to help people not to put people down and belittle them that's all you seem to want to do so shut it down keyboard warrior hero.

No one cares huh...
Screenshot_20170501-200222.png
Just shush...

For the record, F1s are garbage... both sets lasted less than a summer, or 20k for me...

Running General G-Max AS03's now for summer on the stock rim. Running Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice's for winter on 17" AR Maverick's...

JUST IN CASE ANYONE CARES...

I digress...

·
Registered
26 Posts
And I care what you say because???

Let you make it clear I'm here to help people not to put people down and belittle them that's all you seem to want to do so shut it down keyboard warrior hero.

No one cares huh...
View attachment 236769
Just shush...

For the record, F1s are garbage... both sets lasted less than a summer, or 20k for me...

Running General G-Max AS03's now for summer on the stock rim. Running Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice's for winter on 17" AR Maverick's...

JUST IN CASE ANYONE CARES...

I digress...
You care about what I say because you got butt hurt and quoted me. I was more referring to what you said about running regular gas. You threw it out there like you were laying down the gauntlet. Like I use it "so what?"

Just because you use it all the time doesn't mean a thing. You could have said I use it and [insert results]. But no, you had to issue a challenge. I gladly accepted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You care about what I say because you got butt hurt and quoted me. I was more referring to what you said about running regular gas. You threw it out there like you were laying down the gauntlet. Like I use it "so what?"

Just because you use it all the time doesn't mean a thing. You could have said I use it and [insert results]. But no, you had to issue a challenge. I gladly accepted.
You keyboard hero you! Picking up a gauntlet not even thrown...But hurt no, fed up with your ilk... got nothing informative or nice to say, then say nothing at all...

let's please just end this and get back on topic, which was I asked "so what?" The gas one uses does not correlate to ones tires (original topic of discussion).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never said it did. I said if someone uses regular gas and buys cheap tires, they're not interested in the full potential of their car. And AGAIN, there's nothing wrong with that. So and so said "I bet he uses regular gas too" and you got uppity. I was simply explaining his joke.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The F1s arent bad tires only got about 20k out of them though. So I could have spent a lot of money on tires but if your like me " cheap" you dont want to spend more than you have to. So after researching and talking to my local shop. I ended up buying these...... https://www.amazon.com/Toyo-Extensa...qid=1493568644&sr=8-1&keywords=toyo+235+40+18.

They are pretty nice for the money. 108 w free shipping! Nice and quite, handle good too.Havent had them on when its cold. Which was a problem with the F1s. But so far they seem to be worth the money.
I do hope you know that is tire is an all season tire and is not a performance rated tire.
I ran EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC ALL-SEASON as my second set of tires. They were okay, give up a lot of grip. In Feb '17, I switch to the EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 3 and up the size to 245/40R18. I have been very happy with the newer design.
I could not affort the Michelin PSS (FYI - new design of the PSS are due out in fall of 2017).

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've had the F1's, PSS's and currently running Michelin AS3's. I got better mileage from these; I'll probably have 30-35k when they are toast. I like them for several reasons but I have to say they don't compare to the F1's and AS3's. They do, however, have less wheel hop when abused and ride better. What I am pretty sure I can live without is the price tag, so I am considering cheaper tires. There is one rated pretty highly in consumer reports, the Laufenn S Fit AS tire, that can be had at Pep Boys for around $500 for an entire (pun intended) set WITH hazard warranty. I'll take a little less performance if I can pay half as much. I am not running on any track or autoxing. A car can be just as fun with less than the best tire.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do hope you know that is tire is an all season tire and is not a performance rated tire.
I ran EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC ALL-SEASON as my second set of tires. They were okay, give up a lot of grip. In Feb '17, I switch to the EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 3 and up the size to 245/40R18. I have been very happy with the newer design.
I could not affort the Michelin PSS (FYI - new design of the PSS are due out in fall of 2017).
Yes they are all season tires. Maybe all season in Florida! The tread and rubber compound do not say all season in my book. But... I will say this, they are a LOT bette in rain than the F1s. Also they appear to perform a lot better in cold environments. It hasnt gotten below 45 but I can say they are still better than F1s in that sense. I pushed them to the limit on some corners and while they do sacrifice some grip over new F1s. I was not dissapointed! More than acceptable for DD. I wouldnt buy them for the track but they perform very well for the money. Less than 450 for a set and thye are TOYOs not some wal-mart crap. I am curios how some of the 60-80 dollar tires prform for folks though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just wondering how those lasted. I'm about to purchase some in the next few weeks to put on my konig oversteer's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts