Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally pulled the trigger on a FMIC from Steeda. Got 10 percent off which was pretty sweet. So now I just got to decide on a tuner. I've already gotten some good feedback and advice from other members on here which I really appreciate. Do you guys think I should get my accessport from whichever tuner I go with?

·
Super Moderator
7,591 Posts
So I finally pulled the trigger on a FMIC from Steeda. Got 10 percent off which was pretty sweet. So now I just got to decide on a tuner. I've already gotten some good feedback and advice from other members on here which I really appreciate. Do you guys think I should get my accessport from whichever tuner I go with?
Are you planning on any other mods, or already done modding?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I'm looking at some downpipes right now. Not sure if I should go catted or catless. Currently I have an mbrp exhaust but would like to switch it up to an awe track exhaust and Ive heard that exhaust with a catless is extremely loud. I know that I can purchase the muffler from the touring edition which I hear people swapping that in to make it a little quieter. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,591 Posts
No suggestions on the exhaust, but, I would get all of your bolt on's done before tuning. That way you can just go through the tuning process once and don't have to pay extra for life time tunes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that makes sense. ESP has a sale on a Mpx catless downpipe for like $169 I think. Have you heard anything about M

·
Super Moderator
7,591 Posts
Yeah that makes sense. ESP has a sale on a Mpx catless downpipe for like $169 I think. Have you heard anything about M
Have not heard of them, but that means nothing; I'm using a Depo Racing catless. I like it because it has the mount on it that bolts to the trans mount like the factory unit, and, it bolted right up perfect fit.

Reactions: Dakman

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you guys think I should get my accessport from whichever tuner I go with?
I bought my APv3 second hand for a quarter of the price new. However if you intent to buy new then usually the tuners will give you a better deal than buying the APv3 alone from a retailer. I got my APv3 first only because I found it at such a bargain price, over a period of months I added FMIC, DP and used the appropriate COBB OTS tune until I had finished buying and installing all my parts. It was then that I splashed out and got myself a real tune.

What a different the tune made compared to the COBB OTS tune.

Parts I installed are: RMM, HF air filter, FMIC, plugs, BPV, DP, 3" exhaust.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought my accessport from Mountune a couple of years ago when they were offering a free custom tune along with it. Randy's tune was great, but they don't appear to do that anymore. Mountune, Freektune and Stratified all have $550 options for an accesport that come with their OTS tunes. Stratified also has an accessport and custom tune combo for $775 and JST has one as well for $700. I was running a custom JST tune on my ST and it was wonderful. Bryan really knows his stuff and he is extremely quick to reply and very helpful. He was also able to get rid of the annoying Boomba BoV issues I was having.

A catless downpipe with the MBRP cat-back sounds fantastic. You get all of the wanted turbo and exhaust noises, but without any of the rasp. I had the MBRP cat-back on my ST with a catted downpipe, as I wanted a deeper tone, and it was perfect to me. You could also meet in the middle and get Depo's 100 cel catted downpipe. It's half the cel count as every other catted downpipe, but not quite as extreme as catless in regards to sound and smell.

Catless MBRP setup:

My catted MBRP setup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did an install with the MPX from ESP. Works great, easy install. ESP was fast and efficient with shipping and quickly answered my questions. Bolted right up to my stock exhaust. Don't spend hundred more on a DP. Way over priced to me however I know they are quality downpipes. Budget wise I have no complaints. I am running stage 3 Cobb until I go custom tuned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all of your help. My Steeda Fmic will be here Tuesday. I can't wait to put it on. I think I'm going to go with the mbrp catless downpipe from ESP. I thought I had heard that the mbrp catless downpipe was discontinued but ESP has them on their site. I Wana try and get the accessport with a custom tune and do it all at the same time. I'm also going to do a RMM. Do you guys have any good suggestions on which one to go with? I was thinking Mountune, Cobb or CPE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought my accessport from Mountune a couple of years ago when they were offering a free custom tune along with it. Randy's tune was great, but they don't appear to do that anymore. Mountune, Freektune and Stratified all have $550 options for an accesport that come with their OTS tunes. Stratified also has an accessport and custom tune combo for $775 and JST has one as well for $700. I was running a custom JST tune on my ST and it was wonderful. Bryan really knows his stuff and he is extremely quick to reply and very helpful. He was also able to get rid of the annoying Boomba BoV issues I was having.

A catless downpipe with the MBRP cat-back sounds fantastic. You get all of the wanted turbo and exhaust noises, but without any of the rasp. I had the MBRP cat-back on my ST with a catted downpipe, as I wanted a deeper tone, and it was perfect to me. You could also meet in the middle and get Depo's 100 cel catted downpipe. It's half the cel count as every other catted downpipe, but not quite as extreme as catless in regards to sound and smell.

Catless MBRP setup:

My catted MBRP setup:
Man that sounds really good! Dude I can't wait to get my downpipe and tune on the car!

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Monster X tune, do it...after downpipe and FMIC 😉

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Monster X tune, do it...after downpipe and FMIC 😉

Thanks man I appreciate your advice. I'm ordering the downpipe tomorrow. I've decided to go catless and the fmic should be here Tuesday. I'm going to go ahead and get a RMM as well that way I can do downpipe, fmic and RMM all at the same time. Any suggestions on RMM? I was thinking either Mountune or CPE.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the JBR 88 durometer RMM on my ST and it was incredible from a performance standpoint, but the vibrations were very rough. Even after over 20,000 miles. I contemplated swapping it out for a CP-e or Mountune RMM many times, as they tend to be praised as well performing mounts with minimal increase to NVH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts