Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a re-flash or a tuner to make the necessary changes would be an inexpensive way to gain decent hp and torque, any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I highly recommend you put some miles on it before touching it. make sure the car is solid.

if you can afford to play then yeah a COBB AP3 is a great place to start

Exhaust is only good for butt dyno. makes the car sound good, not power gains
air intakes are for looks, just get a filter
downpipe hi flow cat or catless and you will make some power if tuned for them
FMIC is a MUST and needed greatly on these cars

mod that don't cost a dime ... remove shutter system, this a must if you live in any area that gets over 80F lol

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
When I purchased my ST this was the first thing I was after upgrade-wise:

[video=youtuch?v=Sr6ssEdlAl4&t=1s[/video]
Highly recommend the Stage 2 CPE RMM... I have had others and this is the nicest. and worth the added cost

·
Registered
5,878 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
So a tuner will give a noticeable increase hp and torque?
Yes quite a bit. There are things to think about if you go that route: driveability, your use for the vehicle, cost, etc. If you are interested in tuning and want to be able to keep your warranty, then tune early with a FRPP unit from Ford Racing or a Mountune unit (look at their package deals for best value). Solid tunes and loads of fun without a lot of headache and butt hurt from $$$$'s. If you want to get creative, then Cobb AP3 or SCT, or now even HP Tuners make good units for us. Plus there are a lot of great Custom Tuner vendors in the site that can help.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
this is my personal car oem tune vs stratified tune. This is with the oem tune at -1 OAR (aka as much as it would make on my specific car). Take note of the pretty substantial gains in midrange power as well

·
Registered
34 Posts
But you also have other parts that need to be reinforced if you go with a tune to keep up your long-term durability (ie. Upgraded Recirculation valve), FMIC, etc. It just depends on what you want to accomplish ( race, fast road, rally, auto-cross, or just daily drive). Best of luck and enjoy the ST.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Basically follow stratified's guide that Hemi posted up above.

Stratified are a vendor who has been here from the beginning. They are very passionate about the platform and when Alex or one of the other people from Stratified write and article they are doing so from a vast array of experience. So have a read through and that will give you all the information you need.

Obviously there are a million different ways you could go but the methodology discussed in said article follows a safe and tried path that you can rest assured is going to result in gains and reliability.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Assuming that you purchased this car brand new, be sure to take advantage of the FREE ST Octane Academy that Ford offers for you. There are threads on here from those of us who have been, I can't recommend it enough, and I drove my ST 2,000 miles each way just to get there and back. Drive the car for a while before you modify it, get to know it well. Perform the "driver mod" before you start messing with the hardware.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OMG will it ever!

I had forgot just how MUCH until I had to flash back to the stock Ford tune for emissions testing... had to endure "drive cycle" driving to get the sensors ready... felt like a total dog, a car I wouldn't even want to own compared to my 93 oct tune via the accessport ...

BOTTOM LINE a good tune will make the car an ENTIRELY different experience!

Can I get a witness? haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts