Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello focusST.org,
I posted in the introductory thread but I have a lot on my mind with this car right now and I don't know anyone else that has one yet. It's got the Metalic color and stock aside from the tint and I haven't given it a good wash yet, but when I do I'll post some pics. I have a LOT of questions, and I know I could use the n00b thread or the questions thread, but it covers a wide range of topics so I figured I'd consolidate here. I'll be using the car as a commuter and my commute is 20 mins give or take with traffic, a mix of street and freeway, and I'll be using this as my primary car for the next 5 years, I probably wont get to 100k. (my last car which I need to sell is an Escalade and I only put 20k on it in 6 or 7 years.) I want to add some performance and I need to dial this up a notch since my work buds have a couple Evo's, camaros, and other fun stuff. I don't expect to beat them but I assume you know how it goes. I don't have any plans to track it. I am pretty lazy and would like to put together the mods in as little steps as possible, that's where I need some help in planning what to buy, in what groups to install at the same time, and spend as little as possible for quality equipment. I just did an intake, full track exhaust, and tune on my motorycle ('14 636) and that was pretty straightforward and the extent of my tuning experience (I also paid someone to install it as the rate was fantastic, but I do my own oil changes and such, and I would like to do as much on this car as I can)

Long term Goals: Fun DD on 91 octane, as much power as I can get without sacrificing reliability much.

New car stuff I need to take care of now:
1. Whats the preferred Oil (brand and visc) to use in Los Angeles? (sea level, 65-95 degree temps)
2. Anything else I should take care of now? I have been reading an oil catch can should be installed, whats the best brand and how difficult is the install, should I do it with an intake at the same time?

Plans so far:
3. Cobb tuner: I hear stratified is the way to go, thoughts?
4. Intake: with a snorkel? CIA? best brand?
5. Exhaust: Not sure I want to put a test pipe on there, but if it's easy to swap in the cat for smogs I wouldn't mind it, but if the cat isn't too restrictive I'm not aiming for loudness. I don't like obnoxious, I want a nice tone with some nice growls and pops when on it though. so far Cobb sounds the best on the internet, but videos are so tough to judge.
6. Intercooler: I have read the stock intercooler isn't great once you start messing with the boost, so whats the best brand for street tunes?
7. I've never had a turbo car before, but I must admit a BOV sounds tempting, and all the extra pipes I have no idea about, so I need to know what else I need to get.

Exterior stuff:
8. Front left headlight has the LED strip out, what should I look for to get it working again?
9. on that topic, the headlights are getting faded along the top of them, it looks pretty gross and I would like to have them smoked or replaced with darker lenses, recommendations? (I don't really want to go aftermarket, or if I do I want OEM quality)
10. I need a paint pen, this car has a couple of scratches and chips I need to tidy up, recommendations?

I read the tire thread and I think I'll go with Pilot Super Sports, but if anyone has recommendations on size (Not sure if sizing up to 245 would be worth it for street driving) or if another tire would be better please let me know.

Sorry if this is a bit of a mess or in the wrong section, I'm excited and ran out of time typing and need to get to work! Gotta pay for all this somehow! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got 18x9.5s et45 and I run 255/40s all around but now I know I can pull off a 265/40 jus depends what size n wheels you get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm keeping the stock rims, at least for now. If anything I'm going to have the curb rash cleaned up and powder coat them black, but that would be it.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Just trying to answer what I can...

New car stuff I need to take care of now:
1. Whats the preferred Oil (brand and visc) to use in Los Angeles? (sea level, 65-95 degree temps)
I use Ravenoil VST 5W40, but since that is probably not available in SoCal, I'd go with Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-40.

2. Anything else I should take care of now? I have been reading an oil catch can should be installed, whats the best brand and how difficult is the install, should I do it with an intake at the same time?
Idk bout best brand - many use Boomba, JBR, Damond Motorsports or Radium Engineering. But a Catch can would be good, yes.

Whether a snorkel or CAI is really beneficial on a stock turbo or not still is a matter of dispute. I'd go with a different filter like Greenfilter, K&N or AEM. Keep the lid on!

5. Exhaust: Not sure I want to put a test pipe on there, but if it's easy to swap in the cat for smogs I wouldn't mind it, but if the cat isn't too restrictive I'm not aiming for loudness. I don't like obnoxious, I want a nice tone with some nice growls and pops when on it though. so far Cobb sounds the best on the internet, but videos are so tough to judge.
Cobb is said to have some pretty bad drone. Maybe hook up with some members in your area and listen to what they have and then make your decision.

6. Intercooler: I have read the stock intercooler isn't great once you start messing with the boost, so whats the best brand for street tunes?
Literally any FMIC for our ST is way better than the stock one. There are dozens of them. Pick your poison here: https://www.focusst.org/threads/the-st-fmic-thread.6273/

I read the tire thread and I think I'll go with Pilot Super Sports, but if anyone has recommendations on size (Not sure if sizing up to 245 would be worth it for street driving) or if another tire would be better please let me know.
Upsizing to 245/40/R18 is pretty common. I'd go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (successor to the Pilot Super Sports) or the new Goodyear F1 Supersport.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Plans so far:
3. Cobb tuner: I hear stratified is the way to go, thoughts?
7. I've never had a turbo car before, but I must admit a BOV sounds tempting, and all the extra pipes I have no idea about, so I need to know what else I need to get.

Exterior stuff:
8. Front left headlight has the LED strip out, what should I look for to get it working again?
9. on that topic, the headlights are getting faded along the top of them, it looks pretty gross and I would like to have them smoked or replaced with darker lenses, recommendations? (I don't really want to go aftermarket, or if I do I want OEM quality)
3. Cobb is the most common device, stratified/jst are most common tuners. custom tune will get you the best performance/reliability
4. I second @Invincible just upgrade the filter to something like a green filter and call it a day
5. lots of options, with you being in CA, up to you if you want to deal with a catless dp. There is a big exhaust thread here with examples. 3" full exhaust and catless will have a higher chance of drone. Some people just do a downpipe and leave the stock exhaust, this will let you have your pops and crackles (if you like that sort of thing.) Otherwise, 2.5" exhaust is plenty for your power goals
6. Seriously, any of them will be a big improvement over stock. Depo gets lots of love for the value, their 3.5" is plenty for most
7. BOV is pretty easy, look up some how-to's and youtube. See if you can handle it. I would suggest setting it up off a true vacuum source

8. Are your headlights oem? Ford ones are a pain to work on, assuming the LED strip is dead, new Ford headlight is spendy and then the color of the strip might not match your other one. Lots like the look of aftermarket ones.
9. again OEM replacements are not cheap. tinting the headlight is counter intuitive; its only going to hurt the light output/performance. If you must, i would suggest a film, easy to remove if you change your mind. If you can sort out the LED strip, i would just restore the stock headlights (polish/UV seal) else i would be looking up some aftermarket units.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the responses, lots of help. I ordered the steeda clutch spring assist, a gas pedal spacer, and the cobb short throw adapter kit (along with some touch up paint) off CJ pony parts, and they're having a black friday sale so thats nice.

Follow up question about tires/wheels. I think I'm going to throw some spacers on, they have 25mm and 20mm options that are on sale, but how do they work with the 245 rubber? I'll be using the stock suspension since my driveway is pretty steep. Would I run into rub issues with the spacers and the 245s? would it be less pronounced with the 20mm? would I need to stick with the 235?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Thank you guys for the responses, lots of help. I ordered the steeda clutch spring assist, a gas pedal spacer, and the cobb short throw adapter kit (along with some touch up paint) off CJ pony parts, and they're having a black friday sale so thats nice.

Follow up question about tires/wheels. I think I'm going to throw some spacers on, they have 25mm and 20mm options that are on sale, but how do they work with the 245 rubber? I'll be using the stock suspension since my driveway is pretty steep. Would I run into rub issues with the spacers and the 245s? would it be less pronounced with the 20mm? would I need to stick with the 235?
Congrats on your purchase. I'm still waiting for Egde Atuosport, JBR or Damond Motorsport to join the BF Sale.

Regarding the tires, I think if you stick with 20 mm spacers (10 mm per wheel) you should be fine, even with 245's. I'm running 30mm spacers on the Snowflakes (winter wheel), but with the stock 235 width. No rubbing whatsoever and even when at full lock and weight loaded there's still enough room for my index finger between tire wall and wheel arch.

And I plan on mounting 245 too on my summer wheels, which are 40 offset, which also equals 30 mm spacers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts