Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn on the dealerships decision not to install the front plate mount on my car as the hardware that comes with it contains rivets, and with all the tools I do have, I do not have anything to install rivets.

Living in Cali, I am forced to have a front plate. So... I'm hoping that using the suction cup plate mount in the windshield will suffice. I'm probably going to go w/the Sto n sho or whatever it is called, but I didn't want to spend $85 right now.

I received a bunch of Amazon gift cards for Christmas, so I applied them towards the mud guards. I like that the Rally Armour comes w/the installation hardware, and there were no rivets visible in the kit.

I'll post pix when I get them installed. I know, most posts are useless w/out pix!!

oh... and happy new year everyone!

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
Maybe I am reading this wrong, are you saying that the dealership "will not" install a front plate bracket on you car? Because the are required by law to do so, or at least they are in Washington State were I live, were we are required to have a front plate as well.

But you can just get some thin double sided 3M foam tape and run it on the border of the plate and then stick it to the front windshield of the car on the passenger side and it will look better than using a bracket that you are talking about using on the inside of the windshield.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
481 Posts
I know it's useless without a picture

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it just sitting in that position right now. I will give the suction cups a go first, then if they look like crap, I may try the foam tape. I have a rather large roll of it already. Did you have to bend your plate at all to make it fit the curve of the windshield?

As to your first question, the salesman told me that they include the "free" license plate mount, but will not install it. Unsure about legality, I'm kind of glad it isn't installed as it looks so clean w/out the frame/mount.

·
Registered
481 Posts
No it's not bent at all

What year is you ST?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just read some of your other post and it looks like I might have just answered my own question. 2016. I don't know about 2016's put when we removed the plate on my son's 2014 there was just 2 screws accessible from the front of the grill. When I removed mine I had to drill out the rivets, Pita.

Thus I can not reinstall mine but on my sons 2014 we could just screw the plate bracket back into the plastic egg crate thing behind the bumper and I front of the crash bar.

Might see it the dealship has that plate bracket if you care.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I’ve gotten a ticket for having it in the windshield I’m Cali... just a heads up

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
https://www.cjponyparts.com/license-plate-bracket-sto-n-sho-focus-st-2015-2018/p/LPB44/

I use this, and requested the dealer specifcally not install the factory one. And I dont' wanna hear no 'Wah but it blocks airflow from the IC' because you can just TAKE IT OFF.
Hopefully in 2019 my state is going rear plate only.

your link got cut up and took me to some tires, but I'm guessing it was the sto n show bracket for $85? I don't really want to pay that, but I'm guessing it is cheaper than the ticket

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Yeah that's it. Haha, I clicked the link and it took me to a Mickey Thompson tire.

Cheaper than a ticket
Removable
No drilling the painted bumper

Reactions: muphasta

·
Registered
406 Posts
crap. what was the violation? not in stock position or something?
Yup, still got a ticket for “no plate”. If it’s no where near the front bumper it’ll always be a ticket. I went with the sto and sho since I’m the long run will save me money for plate tickets lol

Reactions: muphasta

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went ahead and ordered the sto n show plate mount. better to do it once and do it correctly than pay a stupid fine. It will be here in a couple of days. I'm keeping the OEM mount (and hardware) in the car just in case I get pulled over, I can show it and plead my case... at least I can try! Hopefully it doesn't become necessary to do that, but I want to have it anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Sto n Show arrived before the suction cups! I'll be installing that tomorrow so I'll be legal. I don't have to be a Judas Priest song any longer.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The Sto n Show arrived before the suction cups! I'll be installing that tomorrow so I'll be legal. I don't have to be a Judas Priest song any longer.
:music::RockOn::RockOn::RockOn::RockOn::RockOn::RockOn::RockOn::RockOn::RockOn::RockOn:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Install of the sto n show was simpler than expected. about 7 minutes total! feels good to be legal!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts