Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed a Steeda passenger side motor mount. I get a noticeable vibration at idle, like the exhaust is touching the chassis even though I know it is not. The vibration is not that noticeable at cruising speed. It also seems like the car is louder. I am using the softer of the two bushings Steeda provides. Is this normal. Just curious to see if this is how it feels with a correct install.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Steeda has some of the worst NVH from what I have read about the RMM's. Supposedly it goes away a little in a few thousand miles...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not terrible but definitely noticeable. I kind of like it in one aspect. The car reminds me of the old school muscle cars with big cams. It kind of makes the car feel like you have a lot of power just waiting to be unleashed. I'm sure when my wife gets in she'll be like "what's wrong with your car?". She already gripes about the magnaflow exhaust. I was just trying to find out from others if what I am experiencing is normal with a motor mount change.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Its not terrible but definitely noticeable. I kind of like it in one aspect. The car reminds me of the old school muscle cars with big cams. It kind of makes the car feel like you have a lot of power just waiting to be unleashed. I'm sure when my wife gets in she'll be like "what's wrong with your car?". She already gripes about the magnaflow exhaust. I was just trying to find out from others if what I am experiencing is normal with a motor mount change.
Even with my mountune which is one of the least stiff ones, there is a noticeable change when in idle or idle with ac. The benefits though outweigh the problem of nvh imo though. And there are many out there like you who like the feel for reasons you described, or they need a stiffer one than I would. I think what you are describing sounds perfectly normal, but I am sure someone else will pitch in

·
Registered
255 Posts
So I just installed a Steeda passenger side motor mount. I get a noticeable vibration at idle, like the exhaust is touching the chassis even though I know it is not. The vibration is not that noticeable at cruising speed. It also seems like the car is louder. I am using the softer of the two bushings Steeda provides. Is this normal. Just curious to see if this is how it feels with a correct install.
I have both the Steeda Driver side and Passenger side mounts with the "softer" bushings. Also have the CFM Adjustable RMM which is relatively soft compared to most other mounts. When I first installed the Steeda mounts I thought I broke my car haha. The drivers side mount really gives you some feedback from the transmission. You can hear and feel all sorts of noises. After driving with it for 2 years, it only gets really bad with the AC on and only from take-offs and low RPM's. Have your tuner raise your idle to 950 to help smooth things out.

I did both mounts at the same time, so I don't know what it is like with only the passenger mount.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I have the same mount and it gets a little better but not much, my idle vibration was less after installing the TTR passenger mount (which I didn't expect). But you will still get a noticeable vibration when accelerating from a stop. It you accelerate easy with a bit of clutch work you can eliminate that though.

Oh and do not install the harder bushings, unless you are track only. Because I thought the car was going to fall apart when put that one in. I drove around block once and pulled it back on the ramps to take it out because it was so bad.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I must be getting the same feeling as everyone else. Makes me feel better.

With the way the car feels now I may get rid of the sound symposer. It also feels like the car is more responsive when I accelerate.

Reactions: Blackula

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
So I must be getting the same feeling as everyone else. Makes me feel better.

With the way the car feels now I may get rid of the sound symposer. It also feels like the car is more responsive when I accelerate.
I drove the car for quite awhile w/o sound symposer before I got RMM from mountune installed. Definitely adds sound, and more deep and bass than symposer mids growl, which I didn't mind at all. It was just rubbing my fuel line so I removed whole apparatus after only about a month or two. After installing RMM I don't yearn for louder exhaust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just put in my Cobb RMM today. I'm going to get the same question. Aren't you looking forward to saying, "but it's only a thousand miles..."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts