Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we're sitting at a red light in the inside lane of a dual left turn. In front of me stopped at the light is a dual motor Model S. I don't remember what the car next to the S was....but I look across the passenger seat where my wife was & just outside her window is a black car with a V10 emblem just under the driver's window. I keep staring trying to figure out what it might be ....I can't see anything but the driver's window and the V10 emblem....I can tell it's not a Viper. So, as I'm staring I guess the light turned green and the Model S starts to turn left....in that split second before I realize the light has turned green....the V10 R8 goes FULL WOT and jumps in front of me. I'm sure he wasn't trying to impress me...probably he was trying to impress the Model S. I'm pretty sure just the sales tax on that car was more than I paid for my ST1 brand new.

20 minutes earlier I saw the aftermath of the most bizarre motorcycle accident I've ever seen, Imagine a truck...stuck to the front of the truck was the front 1/2 of a motorcycle standing straight up. It's like the back half of the motorcycle was embedded into the front of the truck. The accident was on the other side of a divided muti-lane highway.

·
2,425 Posts
Did the model S take the bait and run the Audi??

Reactions: Ricky STeamboat

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I find that guys in model s’s rarely play, For some reason people drive them super gingerly.

My guess is that a lot of people who buy them aren’t interested in a fast car, they just want to buy the most expensive item.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to admit, the R8 sounded fantastic in 2-3 second bursts...sorta like;

or,

·
Registered
932 Posts
I know of one Model 3 owner that doesn't mind playing. He ended up at a red light, in a right-turn only lane, and didn't want to turn right, so when the light turned green, he floored it to jet ahead of the guy to his left. Those things don't mess around. It squatted, and he was GONE. AWD and instant torque is not to be f'd with.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Two of my car-obsessed friends own(d) Teslas. One of them is a billionaire, and it's one of 50+ cars he owns. His wife is a mega-environmentalist, and can afford to be, so she is the primary driver of that car. Her husband drives a different car every time I see him, (from various Ferraris, to his Alfa Romeo Spyder, to his Porsche 911, or GT3's, Datsun 240Z, on and on). He understands the usefulness of the Model S they have, but he HATES the service, since the car has become unreliable at 40,000 miles, and there are no dealerships nearby, and the driveway services are just for minor repairs. He's trading it in for a new Model 3 Performance- but he says driving and owning one is not fun compared to ICE cars (and that it's a boring experience, as there's no satisfaction of ownership since there's no maintenance, or non-electronic modifications, no sound or any of the enjoyment that car guys get from the overall experience of owning a car). He says that driving the car is only a part of the experience, and when he uses the S he's thrilled with the acceleration, and even the handling (which he says is surprisingly good) but that's the only thing he likes about it. My other friend (who leased BMW M3's consecutively for many years) turned in his last F80 BMW M3 and bought a CPO Model S a few years ago, and he loved it at first, but long-term was completely bored by the car. He loved the acceleration as well, but he found himself driving his caged autocross car for fun (an E36 M3) because compared to other sports cars, and with exception to the torque- the Model S was a little like a sensory deprivation experiment. He sold that Model S about 6 months ago and bought a low mileage manual trans 911 convertible as his daily... He loves it.

Both of these guys told me that the vast majority of Tesla owners are not interested in the torque or performance, but rather the perceived environmental benefits, the convenience of charging at home overnight (and not sitting in line fueling up), and avoiding oil changes and other ICE-specific maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I’m not at all surprised, I feel that 99 percent of Tesla owners buy the car as a status symbol, or because they believe it’s better for the environment.

I wish I could drive one for a week to get a feel for it. I feel like it’s easy to get wowed by the torque on a test drive.

I don’t see any reason why an electric car can’t be fun, but I think Tesla’s are an example of a boring electric car. It’s just so sterile, it’s too perfect it has no character at all. No buttons, all muted neutral colors, every design choice is as inoffensive as humanly possible.

A Tesla is a glass of room temperature water from your office break room. It’s perfectly adequate, it quenches your thirst in the most efficient and healthiest way possible, and absolutely nothing more.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Regarding Teslas and owner satisfaction....

A couple guys with whom I work closely own Teslas -- both absolutely love them!! With both, their enjoyment seems to be an extension of bigger passions they have.

A couple years ago when he was looking into buying one, one of my colleagues described a Tesla to me as "a car that was designed around an iPad". He loves Information Technology and using it to make life easier....he's an IT tinkerer sort of guy. Some folks tinker in the garage, he likes to tinker in his basement with his various computer systems, 3D printers etc.... He seems to get a kick out of messing with all the Tesla gadgets, upgrading to new features .... just like he's always done with computer systems.

My other colleague was trained as an electrical engineer and enjoys finding ways to make things more power efficient. He's not a car guy but his Tesla gives him a great sense of being fuel efficient. I remember him, years ago, complaining to me that his car shouldn't have to run while sitting at a stop light -- he enjoys optimal efficiency and his Tesla gives him that type of enjoyment.

I've yet to find an avid golfer who likes their Tesla because it reminds them of driving a golf cart!! :)

Reactions: W4R and MtnMan

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I’m not at all surprised, I feel that 99 percent of Tesla owners buy the car as a status symbol, or because they believe it’s better for the environment.

I wish I could drive one for a week to get a feel for it. I feel like it’s easy to get wowed by the torque on a test drive.

I don’t see any reason why an electric car can’t be fun, but I think Tesla’s are an example of a boring electric car. It’s just so sterile, it’s too perfect it has no character at all. No buttons, all muted neutral colors, every design choice is as inoffensive as humanly possible.

A Tesla is a glass of room temperature water from your office break room. It’s perfectly adequate, it quenches your thirst in the most efficient and healthiest way possible, and absolutely nothing more.
I agree with some or even most of this. I did take my BMW fanatic's Model S for a 10 minute drive, and I was amazed. It is incredible. I loved it, and because of that experience can see why others would as well. I think the novelty of the 4-second 0 to 60 runs would wear off after awhile though, and the harsh reality of the lack of a dealership network, relatively short range and/or the perception of being limited in range /utility since you can't instantly charge up to 100% like you can with a gasoline-powered car would set in. It did for my friend. They have a second car (a Dodge Pacifica minivan) which is what they use as a family car for longer trips. I'd love to own a Tesla- but only as a 4th car, because I really like being involved with the operation and maintenance of my cars, where as a Tesla product is a bit like an Apple product- you can have it, but it's yours to use, not maintain.

·
Super Moderator
8,594 Posts

A couple guys with whom I work closely own Teslas -- both absolutely love them!! With both, their enjoyment seems to be an extension of bigger passions they have.

A couple years ago when he was looking into buying one, one of my colleagues described a Tesla to me as "a car that was designed around an iPad". He loves Information Technology and using it to make life easier....he's an IT tinkerer sort of guy. Some folks tinker in the garage, he likes to tinker in his basement with his various computer systems, 3D printers etc.... He seems to get a kick out of messing with all the Tesla gadgets, upgrading to new features .... just like he's always done with computer systems.

My other colleague was trained as an electrical engineer and enjoys finding ways to make things more power efficient. He's not a car guy but his Tesla gives him a great sense of being fuel efficient. I remember him, years ago, complaining to me that his car shouldn't have to run while sitting at a stop light -- he enjoys optimal efficiency and his Tesla gives him that type of enjoyment.

I've yet to find an avid golfer who likes their Tesla because it reminds them of driving a golf cart!! :)
I look forward to the day when there are many more electric vehicles, all plugged in at the same time, on our outdated electrical grid, and we get another arctic blast like last week and the power fiasco that accompanied the winter fun.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts

I think this is the real answer, the Tesla is almost a new kind of enthusiast car.

If you grew up not paying attention to cars and spending your days building PCs and playing games then a Tesla is right up your alley.

If you grew up holding the flashlight for your dad, it might not be so interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think this is the real answer, the Tesla is almost a new kind of enthusiast car.

If you grew up not paying attention to cars and spending your days building PCs and playing games then a Tesla is right up your alley.

If you grew up holding the flashlight for your dad, it might not be so interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I grew up doing both, and I have no interest in EVs - sorry. So many issues in the long term no one thinks of, like - what do you do with a battery that can't be recycled efficiently and costs $20k to replace?

Btw, that $20k figure is for the new Mustang EV, that's not including labor.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I look forward to the day when there are many more electric vehicles, all plugged in at the same time, on our outdated electrical grid, and we get another arctic blast like last week and the power fiasco that accompanied the winter fun.
It doesn't matter. AOC is pretty, and she takes sh!+ from no one, so she must be right... I work in the Power Gen world doing Project and Spec Engineering, and I've witnessed the gradual decline of fossil and nuclear utilities ( also known as "base power" in the industry) particularly over the last 10 years. People are afraid of nuclear because of all the perceived risks (I go to these sites often and very few off them are valid). People are afraid of fossil fuel plants (oil, natural gas, coal, and cogen) because of the perceived emissions and pollutants ( some of these concerns are valid but many can be mitigated using the latest technology). People want to believe that we can keep this sort of society going, and in fact growing by using solar and wind, but it's simply not possible. I'm not against solar and wind- and they are useful technologies that are still evolving- but without base power (reliable sources of energy that we have currently, that can be applied responsibly) the solar and wind will not be enough to provide this country with 24/7 365 power. I agree with most of the experts that say that we need a combination of all of these technologies, but there is a small but very vocal crowd that insists on zero emissions now, when we simply don't have the technology to provide it- unless we can also drastically reduce our energy consumption as a nation.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Anyone reading this that is interested in nuclear energy should watch this:

I know a few of the people in this documentary.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't anyone like my WIZ-GUN video I posted earlier? I want one.

Anybody know what kind of SUV Tiger crashed this time?

·
Registered
334 Posts
It doesn't matter. AOC is pretty, and she takes sh!+ from no one, so she must be right... I work in the Power Gen world doing Project and Spec Engineering, and I've witnessed the gradual decline of fossil and nuclear utilities ( also known as "base power" in the industry) particularly over the last 10 years. People are afraid of nuclear because of all the perceived risks (I go to these sites often and very few off them are valid). People are afraid of fossil fuel plants (oil, natural gas, coal, and cogen) because of the perceived emissions and pollutants ( some of these concerns are valid but many can be mitigated using the latest technology). People want to believe that we can keep this sort of society going, and in fact growing by using solar and wind, but it's simply not possible. I'm not against solar and wind- and they are useful technologies that are still evolving- but without base power (reliable sources of energy that we have currently, that can be applied responsibly) the solar and wind will not be enough to provide this country with 24/7 365 power. I agree with most of the experts that say that we need a combination of all of these technologies, but there is a small but very vocal crowd that insists on zero emissions now, when we simply don't have the technology to provide it- unless we can also drastically reduce our energy consumption as a nation.
And the biggest issue is no storage of surplus energy to be used when the sun don’t shine!

Reactions: xTheMan42

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

This small and vocal crowd is NOT trying "save the planet" because "they love you so gosh darn much".
These are EVIL PEOPLE who are trying to take control of hte world for their own personal gain.
Do not be stupid, do not fall in for it.
Might go a step further & say that it is communism in disguise. End of the day all they want is to control you, what is wrong with that?

They say "the world is ending" because "of some distant and far away reason that you cant feasibly measure or make your own rational decision about so you are forced to trust the 'experts' about", then the people panic, then they give power to the politicians. Rinse & repeat. It is so stupid yet unfortunately it seems to be working.

I am not a climate denier. I am not a paid lobbyist for the "evil oil industry". I am a rational human being who wants everyone to do well. What we need to do is continue developing technologies & making small incremental steps in the right direction. Like you said design & implement a mixture of techologies, using each strategically & acknowledging their key strengths and weaknesses. Last thing is, if we screw up our economy we wont have money to invest in these technologies, only a successful nation can afford to be a clean nation.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Tiger was driving the Genesis GV80.

It occurs to me that my best guess is that I've driven about 1,350,000 miles since about 1967.....& my best guess is that no more than 100 of those miles have been at speeds over 100 mph.....that's depressing.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts