Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST Magnetic Metallic
123 Posts
That seems like a pretty mild amount of damage. Insurance will provide a list of body shops that you can use and often will give you a rental car while they do the work. Just ask them for a frame inspection when you drop it off just to be safe. Depending on the body shop, they might repair that (since it only looks like plastic damage) or replace and spray a new bumper cover for you. Also do your own research (Yelp etc) on the body shop for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
832 Posts
Definitely think the bumper cover will be replaced, could be salvaged but insurance will replace it.
Exhaust needs to be replaced, with the hangers. It will be interesting, the (what looks like a Roush) exhaust may be less than OEM, and you may have options on how to repair. Don't take the insurance companies first offer. Negotiate.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
That's not rear ended, look at the video in my signature and I'll show you rearended LOL!!!

Reactions: Sabatzis

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey guys, my beloved 2013 ST got rear-ended by some person not paying attention. This is my first accident, but I believe insurance is to handle everything that is necessary. Are there any potential damages I should look out for judging by the pictures that I'm linking below?
In general make sure they understand that you outright insist that the panels be disassembled for prep and painting, not simply taped off. Well, I suppose it depends on your level of OCD. Mine is high, if I can find a tape line with a flashlight, I won't accept it. They aren't going to replace the bumper cover either unless the mounts are all broken off or something. The insurance company won't pay for that if they can get by with it.
I'd make sure the hatch latch doesn't feel funny or different, or doesn't move around or rattle when it's closed. Crawling underneath the back with a flashlight to look for anything obviously bent as well.
Also pay attention to where the plastic panels meet up with the steel body panels on the side of the car and make sure they get the panel gaps consistent. The factory fitting on these cars is already kinda crappy, so don't let them try passing off even worse when they are done. It's real important to make sure they understand your expectations BEFORE they start the job as well. If they don't want to work with you, go somewhere else.
Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely think the bumper cover will be replaced, could be salvaged but insurance will replace it.
Exhaust needs to be replaced, with the hangers. It will be interesting, the (what looks like a Roush) exhaust may be less than OEM, and you may have options on how to repair. Don't take the insurance companies first offer. Negotiate.
Yeah that's my major worry. It is a Roush Exhaust, and I wonder if it is damaged if they will repair/replace it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In general make sure they understand that you outright insist that the panels be disassembled for prep and painting, not simply taped off. Well, I suppose it depends on your level of OCD. Mine is high, if I can find a tape line with a flashlight, I won't accept it. They aren't going to replace the bumper cover either unless the mounts are all broken off or something. The insurance company won't pay for that if they can get by with it.
I'd make sure the hatch latch doesn't feel funny or different, or doesn't move around or rattle when it's closed. Crawling underneath the back with a flashlight to look for anything obviously bent as well.
Also pay attention to where the plastic panels meet up with the steel body panels on the side of the car and make sure they get the panel gaps consistent. The factory fitting on these cars is already kinda crappy, so don't let them try passing off even worse when they are done. It's real important to make sure they understand your expectations BEFORE they start the job as well. If they don't want to work with you, go somewhere else.
Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
I appreciate this response. These are questions and concerns I will be sure to address when the time comes to take into a shop.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
There is a thin white plastic impact absorber strip behind the bumper that is held on by rivets which probably is broken in some places.

Edit: This is the part:

Energy Absorber - Ford (CP9Z17D942A)

Building Water Art Font Urban design
Slope Font Drawing Auto part Metal

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Exhaust has definitely been crinked. Don't think it's just the hangers. Worthwhile for you to crawl under and have a look.

Also closely examine the side door gaps. Doesn't look like the hit was hard enough to make deeper issues, but it's worth a deep look to make sure other parts haven't shifted.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Reactions: Sabatzis and gemery

·
Registered
418 Posts
That seems like a pretty mild amount of damage. Insurance will provide a list of body shops that you can use and often will give you a rental car while they do the work. Just ask them for a frame inspection when you drop it off just to be safe. Depending on the body shop, they might repair that (since it only looks like plastic damage) or replace and spray a new bumper cover for you. Also do your own research (Yelp etc) on the body shop for peace of mind.
That’s illegal…. The owner of the car is free to choose ANY body shop they’d like. You never pick a shop the insurance company recommends. Those shops do favors to keep the costs low…

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST Magnetic Metallic
123 Posts
When I got rear ended the body shop they (insurance) recommend was the best around anyway. Like I said, do your own due diligence on the shop. Not an insurance law expert ;)

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,837 Posts
My buddy has been in the body business his entire working career. From the body shop side of things, its WAY easier and smoother if your have the car at a preferred shop. Example being, the shop he works for is a state farm preferred shop. Whenever they get the car apart and find unforseen damages and extra expenses, all they have to do is email a photo of the problem area on top of the additional quote and state farm approves it very quickly and will also extend your rental car as well, assuming the additional repairs exceed the 30 days.

·
Registered
760 Posts
That’s illegal…. The owner of the car is free to choose ANY body shop they’d like. You never pick a shop the insurance company recommends. Those shops do favors to keep the costs low…
they can't force you to use their shops, but if you don't, they normally won't stand behind any problems that may surface later on.

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I got rear ended the body shop they (insurance) recommend was the best around anyway. Like I said, do your own due diligence on the shop. Not an insurance law expert ;)
They can recommend a shop, they can’t give you a list of places you can go to. They can’t tell you where to go.

The insurance company recommends places so they get a price break by giving them work cheaper price typically means lower quality work. A great shop can do less than great work. Like using used pats instead of new or aftermarket instead of OEM OR cheaper paint. A good friend is a adjuster.

·
Registered
418 Posts
they can't force you to use their shops, but if you don't, they normally won't stand behind any problems that may surface later on.
It’s not the insurance companies job to stand behind it, that’s on the body shop to stand being their work. Some companies offer a live time thing but I’d rather just go to my shop I know does good work or repair it myself if I have time and make some extra cash.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
We recently got rear-ended in our other car (Honda Odyssey). I got a few estimates for the repair, and rather than having the car repaired at a collision center and being without this car for a week or two, I would prefer that the other driver's insurance company mail me a check for the repairs- (The damage is only cosmetic). I can repair it on my own after the holidays- but we have a lot going on right now (ailing family members, in-laws visiting for the holidays, little ones + Santa etc...) Does anyone here have advice on how to request a check instead of having their insurance company work with a body shop?

·
Registered
418 Posts
We recently got rear-ended in our other car (Honda Odyssey). I got a few estimates for the repair, and rather than having the car repaired at a collision center and being without this car for a week or two, I would prefer that the other driver's insurance company mail me a check for the repairs- (The damage is only cosmetic). I can repair it on my own after the holidays- but we have a lot going on right now (ailing family members, in-laws visiting for the holidays, little ones + Santa etc...) Does anyone here have advice on how to request a check instead of having their insurance company work with a body shop?
That’s risky as hidden damage will be on you. Just tell the adjuster you want a check. You could schedule the work a month out or maybe 2…

1 - 20 of 22 Posts