Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get flak for it, I did get it leased to buy for 3 years. Brand new 2018 Silver ST1 with 6 miles when driven off the lot. I got it leased because it made the most sense to myself and my family. I was looking to buy a used hatchback or sport 4 door car. Checked Civic Si, MS3, GTI Ford Fiesta etc. Got a great deal on the ST and wife pushed me to get it. It is lease to buy and from the looks of it I love it and plan on keeping it after the lease but that could also just be because it's new.
My question that probably has been asked is can I modify my car in anyway without voiding anything. Wondering if there is others here with a leased ST. Being a lease I am just worried about the dumbest stuff. Is it possible to modify the car or add things to it and just replacing them at the end with stock parts and be fine? Glad to be part of this community!

·
Registered
139 Posts
First, welcome and congrats. I am sure you will want to purchase it lol.

Adding parts and warranty work is a sensitive subject. Basics like a drop in filter and a catback exhaust are probably the safest. Plus cosmetics. If you are concerned about warranty issues the consensus will be don't tune the car or mess with emissions system (like downpipe). People will argue it won't matter if you tune as long as you flash the car back to stock, however Ford isn't dumb and a major engine failure from a bad tune or abuse can leave telltale signs and end up voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I wouldn't touch the exhaust. It doesn't add much power anyway and they are expensive IMO.

Stick with a K&N drop in filter and a tune. The filter is cheap enough so you won't care about the cost and if you get a Cobb AP you can return the car to stock and sell the programmer if you turn the car in after the lease.

Reactions: Carrier

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have one picture of it but will take more.
ha5okrvjica01.jpg

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I would really like that colour, mildly jealous lol. My tuxedo black is definitely beautiful still too, 2 years later. :)

I have a feeling you will like this car more than you think, not less as time goes on.

Possibly best kept secret about this car is it comes with an amazing community of owners, and after market options.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've never leased anything (Dave Ramsey calls it "fleece") but I would say that anything you do should be easily un-doable. My boss had a leased vehicle and I know they looked over it when he turned it in and deducted for dents and such.
As far as "mods" go, which ones would be the most important to you?

P.S. see an eye doctor if you can't distinguish between silver and grey :smile:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never leased anything (Dave Ramsey calls it "fleece") but I would say that anything you do should be easily un-doable. My boss had a leased vehicle and I know they looked over it when he turned it in and deducted for dents and such.
As far as "mods" go, which ones would be the most important to you?

P.S. see an eye doctor if you can't distinguish between silver and grey :smile:
Well I am actually not sure what I was thinking of getting. Probably the basics without having to tune or go exhaust since I would have to cut the exhaust and won't be able to put it back in. CAI/Mudflaps/Don't know what else.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Carefully read the contact you signed when you leased the vehicle. Don't be dumb.

The owners (that ISN'T you) want their car back in a condition that they can sell ASAP. If you couldn't afford to OWN, you should not invest in unrecoverable MOD expenses. Modding cars reduces their resale value. Every. Time.

Buy non-modded used cars if you're hurting for $$$. Save cash and reward yourself in 5+ years with an OWNED new car.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Well I am actually not sure what I was thinking of getting. Probably the basics without having to tune or go exhaust since I would have to cut the exhaust and won't be able to put it back in. CAI/Mudflaps/Don't know what else.
Or check out my build thread for another lease to own member’s path. Buncha cheap mods, all reversible. Highly recommend RMM and traction bar. Welcome!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Carefully read the contact you signed when you leased the vehicle. Don't be dumb.

The owners (that ISN'T you) want their car back in a condition that they can sell ASAP. If you couldn't afford to OWN, you should not invest in unrecoverable MOD expenses. Modding cars reduces their resale value. Every. Time.

Buy non-modded used cars if you're hurting for $$$. Save cash and reward yourself in 5+ years with an OWNED new car.
I leased so I can get a feel for the ST without having to be attached to it for the long run. I actually now fell in love with it. This isn't my main car I have 2 other cars plus my company car. The reason for the ST leased wasn't because I couldn't afford it, it was because it made sense with what my monthly payment would be with the benefits of a new car and warranties and extra stuff like free oil changes for the lease and extras. It is a lease to buy car so if I do want to keep it I can. I think you have the impression that if it is leased you can't afford which is ignorant but I could be wrong. There is so many benefits to leasing specially for someone like me that will use it as the 4th car just for the weekend. I would of rather have leased my BMW than the Ford but thank god that car is paid off now but that is a whole other story.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or check out my build thread for another lease to own member’s path. Buncha cheap mods, all reversible. Highly recommend RMM and traction bar. Welcome!
Will do thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts