Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had my lower shields off today and while i was under there, i noticed the AGS shroud actually blocks the entire first tube of the stock intercooler as well as the left and right one inch (two inches total) of that unit. Has anyone done datalogs on the stock IC with ags intact versus the entire AGS shroud removed to see if it makes a difference? I mean, even if the efficiency of the stock IC is improved by 10%, it would be worth my time.

I've searched here with no direct answer to this question and i gather everyone is going to tell me "just get rid of it", but I'd like to know if im actually doing any good (backed by data) by doing so on the stock IC.

·
Super Moderator
7,337 Posts
So i had my lower shields off today and while i was under there, i noticed the AGS shroud actually blocks the entire first tube of the stock intercooler as well as the left and right one inch (two inches total) of that unit. Has anyone done datalogs on the stock IC with ags intact versus the entire AGS shroud removed to see if it makes a difference? I mean, even if the efficiency of the stock IC is improved by 10%, it would be worth my time.

I've searched here with no direct answer to this question and i gather everyone is going to tell me "just get rid of it", but I'd like to know if im actually doing any good (backed by data) by doing so on the stock IC.
You would gain efficiency. I doubt it would be enough to prevent heatsoak though. A free mod is a good mod, regardless. Theres just not enough volume and surface area, you need both for better cooling.

Feel free to datalog, more info is always welcomed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an SCT x4 thats married to my f150. Do you know if i can still log my focus with it? If i can, i may just do that for knowledge sake.

·
Super Moderator
7,337 Posts
I have an SCT x4 thats married to my f150. Do you know if i can still log my focus with it? If i can, i may just do that for knowledge sake.
Hmm, I'm not sure. Im an Accessport guy, for many reasons, lol.

I wonder if you can datalog with torque pro app, or something else.

You'd most likely have to waste a "marry" on it. So obviousley research is needed before the attempt.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may do some digging if i get some free time. I know its typically assumed that most of us are tuned and have means to log but my car is 100% stock without plans to tune. I'd just like to maintain horsepower through the gears so IC is on the radar eventually.

·
Super Moderator
7,337 Posts
I may do some digging if i get some free time. I know its typically assumed that most of us are tuned and have means to log but my car is 100% stock without plans to tune. I'd just like to maintain horsepower through the gears so IC is on the radar eventually.
FMIC is a great mod regardless of tune or not. If you keep with your current goal, a 3.5" core would be perfect.

Let me know what you come up with.

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
I'm with @Duece McCracken with recommending a 3.5" core for your goals. Removing the AGS will definitely show improvement, but don't expect anything drastic in the slightest. The stock unit WILL still heatsoak 100%. If not anything else, it will cool off a little quicker ripping out the AGS. A far as drawbacks, there are only "2."

1- You'll lose about 1mpg...which is greatly outweighed by the performance you gain in cooling it off quicker not having a wall literally blocking your intercooler during cruising (when it closes the fins)
2- Removing them often includes removing the rubber air surrounding them which kinda shrouds and guides the air into that space. Removing that rubber has been known to cause some turbulence since the air just goes all through that little pocket....but no noticeable performance issues has been caused by this that I've ever seen reported. Most of us don't have that rubber shroud (including myself) and I've never noticed it. I've heard someone claim they hear a slight hum from the air turbulence flowing through there weird with crosswind...but again...never had it happen.

I say remove it. Mine came out in 50 piece and I don't have any regrets at all.

Edit: Zip tie the plug you remove on the drivers side to your front bumper. You'll easily see where the best place to zip tie it is when you do it. It's like 3 inches from where you unclip it from the AGS system.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm with @Duece McCracken with recommending a 3.5" core for your goals. Removing the AGS will definitely show improvement, but don't expect anything drastic in the slightest. The stock unit WILL still heatsoak 100%. If not anything else, it will cool off a little quicker ripping out the AGS. A far as drawbacks, there are only "2."

1- You'll lose about 1mpg...which is greatly outweighed by the performance you gain in cooling it off quicker not having a wall literally blocking your intercooler during cruising (when it closes the fins)
2- Removing them often includes removing the rubber air surrounding them which kinda shrouds and guides the air into that space. Removing that rubber has been known to cause some turbulence since the air just goes all through that little pocket....but no noticeable performance issues has been caused by this that I've ever seen reported. Most of us don't have that rubber shroud (including myself) and I've never noticed it. I've heard someone claim they hear a slight hum from the air turbulence flowing through there weird with crosswind...but again...never had it happen.

Edit: Zip tie the plug you remove on the drivers side to your front bumper. You'll easily see where the best place to zip tie it is when you do it. It's like 3 inches from where you unclip it from the AGS system.

Don't just a zip tie the plug. Remove the motor from the AGS system and leave it plugged in. Zip tie the motor with somewhere. I actually sealed mine up in a little baggie and then zip-tied it where it can't be seen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I didnt realise the mpg loss would be that drastic, although I'd be facing that anyway when i install a bigger IC in the future.

·
Registered
887 Posts

One piece my a$$

·
Super Moderator
7,337 Posts
To extract it as one piece, you unbolt and support the rad support and then it gets you the room needed to remove the ags whole. I only bothered to do it on one ST, the rest I inform the owner then rip it apart. Much easier to destroy it, lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
To extract it as one piece, you unbolt and support the rad support and then it gets you the room needed to remove the ags whole. I only bothered to do it on one ST, the rest I inform the owner then rip it apart. Much easier to destroy it, lol.
Yerp. That's how mine looked too. I tried carefully at first and it literally cracked during the very FIRST light tug I made on it...so I got annoyed and just shredded it out of there in a pile
If you ever need a new one, I'm sure it would be like $10 tops off someone parting out

·
Super Moderator
7,337 Posts
Yerp. That's how mine looked too. I tried carefully at first and it literally cracked during the very FIRST light tug I made on it...so I got annoyed and just shredded it out of there in a pile
If you ever need a new one, I'm sure it would be like $10 tops off someone parting out
If someone needs a set of ags, they have much bigger problems.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats good to know. I didnt realize these were so shoe-horned in there and actually NEEDED to be broken to be removed. Another good example of a-holes designing cars that they never have to work on

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thats good to know. I didnt realize these were so shoe-horned in there and actually NEEDED to be broken to be removed. Another good example of a-holes designing cars that they never have to work on
I managed to get mine out in one piece (currently sitting in the attic), and without remove the radiator support - just took a little patience and wiggling it back and forth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts