Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't lie the focus st was not my first choice. The $4500 rebate, plus x plan pricing i was able to get a base st1 for 21k out the door. Thats insane to me, because back in 2003 i bought a brand new sentra se-r spec v for $19,600 out the door. you would think 14 years of inflation... anyway I returned my 2015 Dodge charger RT plus lease, and bought this. The focus feels a lot slower, smaller, more road noise and less planted. It is one thing i was really looking for, more engaging to drive. Eventually ill get a cobb tuner and an e30 freek tune but want to make sure the car is solid before i go voiding the warranty. A lot of threads on here make me pretty nervous. I have owned and tuned three mazdaspeeds with cobb and i don't remember all the horror stories with warranty, service, and "zoom zoom boom" i am seeing here.

These cars really pretty sharp on the outside

DSC00538-XL.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I won't lie the focus st was not my first choice. The $4500 rebate, plus x plan pricing i was able to get a base st1 for 21k out the door. Thats insane to me, because back in 2003 i bought a brand new sentra se-r spec v for $19,600 out the door. you would think 14 years of inflation... anyway I returned my 2015 Dodge charger RT plus lease, and bought this. The focus feels a lot slower, smaller, more road noise and less planted. It is one thing i was really looking for, more engaging to drive. Eventually ill get a cobb tuner and an e30 freek tune but want to make sure the car is solid before i go voiding the warranty. A lot of threads on here make me pretty nervous. I have owned and tuned three mazdaspeeds with cobb and i don't remember all the horror stories with warranty, service, and "zoom zoom boom" i am seeing here.

View attachment 277178

Believe me, the forum looks like a negative place and it looks scary. That is only because most people don't post every day and say "my car isn't broken!" They just wake up on a day when it DOES break and they panic and make a post on here. There is a HUGE percentage of people on here who's cars are perfectly fine other than maybe small issues here and there, myself included. Don't get freaked out by them, there are plenty of good reviews you just have to look harder to find them because most people don't share them.

Edit: Oh, and congrats! Coming from the Charger you are probably in a more reliable car anyway with a much nicer build quality and interior lol.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and awesome color choice. And i agree with Brian... you will see a lot of first time posters who jump on because they have an issue and they are looking for help. Happens in every car forum.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
730 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Brian is correct, and if it helps I'm at 131k with my 13 ST3 "stage 3" and I'm running fine!

Take it through some twisty roads and you'll see why you made a good decision. If it wasn't a scat pack I don't think it was a lateral move. But I'm also not familiar with dodge's modes so idk what you had prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Congrats and welcome. Brian is correct, and if it helps I'm at 131k with my 13 ST3 "stage 3" and I'm running fine!

Take it through some twisty roads and you'll see why you made a good decision. If it wasn't a scat pack I don't think it was a lateral move. But I'm also not familiar with dodge's modes so idk what you had prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know the dodge charger is not a popular choice on a hot hatch forum, but the thing moves with that ZF 8 speed and a 5.7 hemi. I never took it out to the track, but it certainly felt stronger then my 2000 firebird that ran [email protected] @ mid michigan motorplex. I like hatches, but i hate front wheel drive. Its just getting so hard to find a rear wheel drive manual that can seat 5 people. I have 3 kids and i commute 40 miles a day to work and back. Cadillac ATS 2.0T was my first choice but good luck finding a manual, then i was about to settle for a 2015+ GTI and get a stage 1 apr tune... Then saw the rebate and jumped on the st.

I have been watching the focus / fiesta st with some interest. I loved my two mazdaspeed 6s. I can't really comment on which car would win around an autocross, but merging onto the highway the charger felt more planted and held the line a lot better. The focus st wanders a bit, i thought maybe it was the torque steer at first but it did it to me even when slowing with the clutch in (not sure if its the tires following the groves in the road or what) The charger was a much nicer car on the inside but it was not fun, it did not engage me -- might as well been on autopilot. The ZF transmission shifts fast and firm so i have no doubts its better then me and a stick. The aftermarket for the 2015+ chargers i think is pretty terrible. You have to pay $1000 to get a tune / unlocked ECU and the factory tune is already on the border of knock with 93 octane. Headers looked like a royal PITA and then if you want to do a CAM you will need $2000 plus find a competent tuner. In the GM world you can get a cam for $200 and have a variety of good local tuners.

Its really apples to oranges, i do not care what car is faster around the race track. I want a car fun to drive and reasonable to own and a healthy aftermarket. I believe the ST will serve me better in this regard.

·
Registered
233 Posts
In nine months of ownership @ 5200 miles, including one visit to the mean streets of NYC, I have only had one minor rattle by the driver's ride sun visor, easily taken care of by putting in a small piece of foam between the roof and the headliner. I know it's not a very long term review but otherwise my ST has been perfect. Yours looks very nice, I hope it turns out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
8 Posts

View attachment 277178
Very nice!!! Same boat as you - traded in a 2013 Mustang GT for my "base" 2017 ST this week. Same rebates, just about the same price out the door. It's been really fun so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice!!! Same boat as you - traded in a 2013 Mustang GT for my "base" 2017 ST this week. Same rebates, just about the same price out the door. It's been really fun so far.
Just checking in with an update now that ive logged 800 miles on it. This is the most fun you can have in a front wheel drive car and practical to boot. I am loving the car, its fun to drive casually or push it through some twisties. It pulls strong in the mid range, my mazdas always fell on their face around 5,000 rpm -- maybe its the longer gearing i like.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I know the dodge charger is not a popular choice on a hot hatch forum, but the thing moves with that ZF 8 speed and a 5.7 hemi. I never took it out to the track, but it certainly felt stronger then my 2000 firebird that ran [email protected] @ mid michigan motorplex. I like hatches, but i hate front wheel drive. Its just getting so hard to find a rear wheel drive manual that can seat 5 people. I have 3 kids and i commute 40 miles a day to work and back. Cadillac ATS 2.0T was my first choice but good luck finding a manual, then i was about to settle for a 2015+ GTI and get a stage 1 apr tune... Then saw the rebate and jumped on the st.

I have been watching the focus / fiesta st with some interest. I loved my two mazdaspeed 6s. I can't really comment on which car would win around an autocross, but merging onto the highway the charger felt more planted and held the line a lot better. The focus st wanders a bit, i thought maybe it was the torque steer at first but it did it to me even when slowing with the clutch in (not sure if its the tires following the groves in the road or what) The charger was a much nicer car on the inside but it was not fun, it did not engage me -- might as well been on autopilot. The ZF transmission shifts fast and firm so i have no doubts its better then me and a stick. The aftermarket for the 2015+ chargers i think is pretty terrible. You have to pay $1000 to get a tune / unlocked ECU and the factory tune is already on the border of knock with 93 octane. Headers looked like a royal PITA and then if you want to do a CAM you will need $2000 plus find a competent tuner. In the GM world you can get a cam for $200 and have a variety of good local tuners.

Its really apples to oranges, i do not care what car is faster around the race track. I want a car fun to drive and reasonable to own and a healthy aftermarket. I believe the ST will serve me better in this regard.
The ST is an interesting beast. Not to put down your skills as a drive since I don't know what your level is at, however with this platform I hope you fully wait till the car at least warms up to the first notch (before you go into any boost) on the gauge for oil temp. The car preforms so much better like any other car that has warmed up. Enjoy the little turbo, fun DD. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a little over 400 miles on my ST2, my first tank of premium fuel. I came from a Hyundai Veloster RSpec and I instruct at DE events and run a turbo NA Miata. I like the Focus so far. I think it's quiet, feels solid and firm. I got a good deal with Ford program for flood victims after losing my 370Z NISMO. So far so good. Looking forward to getting more miles on it and then get it to the track to see how it drives at speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts