Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on guys....

Has anyone bought/installed this clutch line? I have a 2016 with 8k miles on it, and I'm really not happy with the clutch feedback. It has been very inconsistent. I even took the car to the dealer and they just told me its normal. I've done some research and seen how they put the restrictor in the clutch line to reduce driveline shock, and I want to get rid of that piece of junk. When i let the clutch out fast, the pedal slows down and then slaps my foot on its way back up....drives me crazy.

Anyways, I found this JPC clutch line and I'm considering getting it, but I wanted to ask here first. Anyone done it? Impressions? Worth it? How hard was the install?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Heres a link just for reference....
2014+ FOCUS ST -4an Clutch Line Upgrade - Justin's Performance Center

- Dave

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
What you described doesn't sound right, I've definitely never experienced that personally. Do you still have the clutch assist spring in place? If there is indeed a restrictor making it act differently $60 for a new line is pretty reasonable imo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I haven't done any research on the ST's but I know on my 13GT I hated the stock clutch line during spirited driving the fluid gets hot causing the stock plastic line to expand and contract. Resulting in improper fluid delivery to the slave cylinder. Causing very sloppy clutch pedal feel engagement/disengagement. I went with a McCloud SS line and problems were gone. That line also held more fluid than the stock line as well. I didn't have those issues on 15GT or my 16 ST but I don't really drive the ST too crazy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you described doesn't sound right, I've definitely never experienced that personally. Do you still have the clutch assist spring in place? If there is indeed a restrictor making it act differently $60 for a new line is pretty reasonable imo.
Right, this is why I took it to the dealer, and they were more concerned with the fact that I didnt have my airbox cover on, and the fact that I had a short shifter which "changed the clutch feel." Not too happy about that....but at any rate, I did not modify the clutch assist spring as I don't feel thats the issue. Also, I read that with the spring removed there is a bit of slop at the top of the pedal which I do not want. I will spend the $60 for a ss clutch line which removes the fluid restrictor and gives better feel, I just want to know if anyone else has done it. If I have to be a guinnea pig, so be it. I had a ss clutch line on my spec-v years ago and it was a worth-while mod for sure.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Right, this is why I took it to the dealer, and they were more concerned with the fact that I didnt have my airbox cover on, and the fact that I had a short shifter which "changed the clutch feel." Not too happy about that....but at any rate, I did not modify the clutch assist spring as I don't feel thats the issue. Also, I read that with the spring removed there is a bit of slop at the top of the pedal which I do not want. I will spend the $60 for a ss clutch line which removes the fluid restrictor and gives better feel, I just want to know if anyone else has done it. If I have to be a guinnea pig, so be it. I had a ss clutch line on my spec-v years ago and it was a worth-while mod for sure.
That dealer sounds like a PITA. I'm sure the SS line will do nothing but help at this point. If nothing else it's much more durable.

Also, what year was your spec v? I had a '03 and I loved that car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That dealer sounds like a PITA. I'm sure the SS line will do nothing but help at this point. If nothing else it's much more durable.

Also, what year was your spec v? I had a '03 and I loved that car.
I had two 02's. One I bought on my 19th birthday, (used with about 44k miles), and drove it through college, took it to the drag strip, auto-xed it, and gutted and boosted it. I loved that freakin thing and I'm so mad I had to get rid of it. The second one I bought for a daily. Fixed it up a bit, drove it for a few months, and then ended up selling it to help put a downpayment on a house. I find the st is very similar, but for some reason nothing seems to be as good as that car was, at least in the fwd flavor. The st has more power hands down, but the spec-v was just plain awesome.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I had two 02's. One I bought on my 19th birthday, (used with about 44k miles), and drove it through college, took it to the drag strip, auto-xed it, and gutted and boosted it. I loved that freakin thing and I'm so mad I had to get rid of it. The second one I bought for a daily. Fixed it up a bit, drove it for a few months, and then ended up selling it to help put a downpayment on a house. I find the st is very similar, but for some reason nothing seems to be as good as that car was, at least in the fwd flavor. The st has more power hands down, but the spec-v was just plain awesome.
Good, the B15 was the best platform for the Spec V. Compared to the ST the sentra was considerably lighter, so it was more responsive. It also had a factory LSD. All in all I like the ST more because it is a lot more car as a ST3 (if it was a ST1 it would be more comparable) but I always thought the Spec V was ahead of its time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good, the B15 was the best platform for the Spec V. Compared to the ST the sentra was considerably lighter, so it was more responsive. It also had a factory LSD. All in all I like the ST more because it is a lot more car as a ST3 (if it was a ST1 it would be more comparable) but I always thought the Spec V was ahead of its time.
yeah, the second generation spec-v was ok, but IMO nothing like the b15. I have a ST1, so I guess its more comparable, but even being a "base" model, it still has a lot more features than the spec did. I'm not really one for all the frills....while nice, not necessary and I'd rather save money than have creature comforts lol. Almost bought a 15' ST3 but I got my 16' ST1 brand new for cheaper.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I just got my steeda ss clutch line. I'm installing it tomorrow night. I'll give my feedback when I'm do e

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have mine sitting in the garage. I didn't install it yet because the directions seemed quite involved for just a clutch line. Figured I would wait until its warm out and I can take my time and do it right. UnfocusedST, did you read through the instructions?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts