Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had this car for about a year now. I've modded the audio system, added heated seats, and thrown on a green filter (then took it off). I have an ST1, and I love it. But from the first week that I owned it, I have had one consistent complaint...the sheer distance of the necessitated throws and general sloppiness in the shifting mechanism.

I had a barebones BASE 2009 Focus S (manual), and this shifting honestly is only slightly shorter, and still feels like I'm trying to navigate through a pile of sticks to get the car in gear. Its sloppy, and they should have put a little more thought into it.

So I'm looking to get the Ford Racing Performance short throw shifter. I've done a lot of research into the alternative options (particularly the boomba), and though I am mechanically inclined, I'm also a purist...and wouldn't mind keeping things as pure as possible with Ford products. That being said, I have a few questions for those of you who have upgraded your shifters.

First things first...does anyone know if the FRPP shifter uses the same bushing as the stock setup, or did they get more reinforced bushings in there? No big deal if they didn't...its only a few more bucks. Second thing is the shift plate. Has anyone had any NEGATIVE experiences with their shift plates (for under the airbox)? I wouldn't mind shortening the throws even more than the reported 18%, but don't want to do that tear down and rebuild if its just going to cause the vehicle to feel as if the mechanism is getting tangled upon itself. Thanks in advance.

PS - I know there's an "all things FRPP" thread, but I don't have time to weed through 218 pages of replies, and figured the community would chime in. THANKS all!

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
So I've had this car for about a year now. I've modded the audio system, added heated seats, and thrown on a green filter (then took it off). I have an ST1, and I love it. But from the first week that I owned it, I have had one consistent complaint...the sheer distance of the necessitated throws and general sloppiness in the shifting mechanism.

I had a barebones BASE 2009 Focus S (manual), and this shifting honestly is only slightly shorter, and still feels like I'm trying to navigate through a pile of sticks to get the car in gear. Its sloppy, and they should have put a little more thought into it.

So I'm looking to get the Ford Racing Performance short throw shifter. I've done a lot of research into the alternative options (particularly the boomba), and though I am mechanically inclined, I'm also a purist...and wouldn't mind keeping things as pure as possible with Ford products. That being said, I have a few questions for those of you who have upgraded your shifters.

First things first...does anyone know if the FRPP shifter uses the same bushing as the stock setup, or did they get more reinforced bushings in there? No big deal if they didn't...its only a few more bucks. Second thing is the shift plate. Has anyone had any NEGATIVE experiences with their shift plates (for under the airbox)? I wouldn't mind shortening the throws even more than the reported 18%, but don't want to do that tear down and rebuild if its just going to cause the vehicle to feel as if the mechanism is getting tangled upon itself. Thanks in advance.

PS - I know there's an "all things FRPP" thread, but I don't have time to weed through 218 pages of replies, and figured the community would chime in. THANKS all!
The FRPP SS uses the same bushings. I highly recommend the Boosted Designs ones. Great fitment and feel combined with a sweet anodizing that is top notch. I have the breedt short shift arm that replaces the whole arm assembly and love it. Never had an issue and the combo gives me the shift package that I always wanted. I have the trans side bushings as well for a more direct feel. Everyone that I have let try it loves it and I would never own another ST without the bushings and breedt arm at least.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FRPP SS uses the same bushings. I highly recommend the Boosted Designs ones. Great fitment and feel combined with a sweet anodizing that is top notch. I have the breedt short shift arm that replaces the whole arm assembly and love it. Never had an issue and the combo gives me the shift package that I always wanted. I have the trans side bushings as well for a more direct feel. Everyone that I have let try it loves it and I would never own another ST without the bushings and breedt arm at least.
What position do you currently have your pivot point set to on the breedt part?

·
Registered
8,582 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Shift plates tend to bind the shifts a little. They are a decent solution for the price, but go with one of the arm style short shifters. I have had several setups and am finally happy with my current setup.

FRPP Short Shifter (I would recommend this or Boomba)

Boomba Shifter base bushings and shifter cable bushings (choose your favorite brand).

Mountune Quick Shift (I had a plate and switched to this. Arms feel better than plates. Do Mountune, Breedt Product Design, James Barone Racing, or TWM arm over a plate of you can)

Heavy shift knob (I have had WC Lathe Werks Stainless Sphere and currently have Boosted Designs. There are several options. Pick your favorite. Just know that you may have to adjust it for the FRPP kit. Shorter threads led to the need to sit the knob slightly higher than on the stock setup).

The only thing I don't have are the solid cable end bushings. People seem to like them. I don't plan on installing them. I don't like the way they install and am happy with my current setup.

If I were to give an order for upgrades I would do...
1. Solid shifter cable bracket bushings
2. Shift arm (do this with #1)
3. Heavy shift knob
4. Solid shifter base bushings
5. Short shifter (do this with #4)

If you don't like the height of the knob in the interior (how your arm sits relative to the arm rest when shifting) then reorder my list by swapping 1 and 2 with 4 and 5.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Shift plates tend to bind the shifts a little. They are a decent solution for the price, but go with one of the arm style short shifters. I have had several setups and am finally happy with my current setup.

FRPP Short Shifter (I would recommend this or Boomba)

Boomba Shifter base bushings and shifter cable bushings (choose your favorite brand).

Mountune Quick Shift (I had a plate and switched to this. Arms feel better than plates. Do Mountune, Breedt Product Design, James Barone Racing, or TWM arm over a plate of you can)

Heavy shift knob (I have had WC Lathe Werks Stainless Sphere and currently have Boosted Designs. There are several options. Pick your favorite. Just know that you may have to adjust it for the FRPP kit. Shorter threads led to the need to sit the knob slightly higher than on the stock setup).

The only thing I don't have are the solid cable end bushings. People seem to like them. I don't plan on installing them. I don't like the way they install and am happy with my current setup.

If I were to give an order for upgrades I would do...
1. Solid shifter cable bracket bushings
2. Shift arm (do this with #1)
3. Heavy shift knob
4. Solid shifter base bushings
5. Short shifter (do this with #4)

If you don't like the height of the knob in the interior (how your arm sits relative to the arm rest when shifting) then reorder my list by swapping 1 and 2 with 4 and 5.
So I'm taking your advice and doing the bracket bushings & shift arm.

But since there are a few options, I wanted some opinions.

There are Breedt, TWM, Mountune, and JBR.

the TWM & JBR have adjustable counterweights. What is the advantage to theses weights over the unweighted Breedt? Does it assist with the ease of shifting?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have the COBB shift plate, Boomba bushings(trans. & base), and Boomba short shifter. Combined with my ACT flywheel and clutch my car shifts like a dream!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Of the shift arms, I have only driven the Mountune arm. I am sure others will chime in, but here is what I have gathered in my time on the forums.

1. Breedt - A lot of people have it because it is reasonably priced as the arms go. Until the JBR came out, it was really the only shift arm replacement in this price range. It is also the most adjustable option. However, there have been several users report issues with the shift cables staying attached while using the Breedt Arm. Again, several happy users without issues, but there are a lot of issues reported as well. 24% or 39% (with knob position shifted)/25% or 40% (stock knob position)

2. TWM - I don't think I have seen a review of this. Looks like similar to the design of the Mountune arm only with adjustable weights and adjustable reduction. 25%, 40%, or 55% reduction.

3. JBR - Fairly recently released, but so far everyone seems happy with it. It is reasonably priced and JBR is also active on the forum. More details here... http://www.focusst.org/forum/james-barone-racing/48192-new-product-release-ford-focus-st-double-adjustable-short-shift-arm.html 20% or 40% reduction.

4. Mountune - I have it and I love it. Shifts are shorter, with minimal additional effort. Like all Mountune products, it is well made. The big downsides to this arm are price and limited shift reduction. It is a 25% reduction with no option to adjust between different reduction settings.

For the question about counterweights, they are supposed to help with ease of shifting. The OEM piece is counterweighted. JBR users have reported reduced shift effort when using the weights versus without. Given the shift effort difference between my Mountune short shifter and my previous shift plate, I believe that there is some reduction in effort due to counterweighting.

Gather the information and decide for yourself based on what you want. If I had to do it again, I would either do JBR or Mountune. For the price difference, I would probably be inclined to go with the JBR and use the savings towards another shifter mod. It is enough savings that you could easily buy a heavy shift knob with it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Has anyone noticed q difference simply from replacing the base and trans bushings?
That alone will take some of the slop out of it, but obviously won't do anything for the length of the throws. Definitely a worthwhile place to start, but if you are gonna replace the bushings in the base of the shifter you might as well install a short throw one at the sametime so you only have to take apart the center console once.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In reading the reviews, it seems that this is one of those things for which higher price truly means higher quality. While the Mountune shift arm doesn't offer the freedom of variability in throw or movement of the shifting towards the front of the vehicle (like breedt), the reviews are consistently good. Specifically in the area of increased sift effort, the complaints seem to be less. In all reality, a 25% reduction is pretty good, and when you pair it with a replacement short throw shifter assembly (FRPP or Bombs), it sounds like it makes for a great component. I like notchy, but not clunky. Any complaints on the Mountune?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The short shifter is the one and only mod I've done in my (almost) 4 years of ownership. I did it because of necessity.
the shifts were too long, particularly going into 5th gear. I would have to lung my body forward to reach it.
I did the Boomba Shift kit with solid bushings.
First I installed the Trans bracket bushings, and took it for a test drive. The biggest issue on the install was the cramped space for the vertical bolt (1 of only 3). Defiantly took some the spongy slop out of the mix.
Next I did the adapter plate, set to the max position. Took only 10 minuets. Test drove that, and liked it even more.
Finally the shift lever arm and the solid base bushings. The install was not too bad. Maybe took a little more than hour.
All I can say is WOW! Shifts are nice and tight, notchy, and solid. I have the max settings that give a 51% reduction.
I keep the stock shifter knob.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's really surprising that nobody has anything to say about the TWM arm, considering its similarity to the Mountune with added benefit of adjusting the weights to exceed that of the OEM setup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you removed the clutch spring assembly?
Really transforms the clutch slop. I know you are dissatisfied with throw distance. But if you are unhappy with clutch, this helps immensely.

On a crusade! Everyone remove that thing! Click on my profile for details.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts