Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello y'all! Been a lurker since 2013 and an owner of a Magnetic 2018 since June of 2018. It is/was an st3 with premium wheels. Before tax, registration and the 100k mile maintenance plan the car was 24k off the lot. Always been too lazy to make a build post till now. I guess I might as well document my progress. The ultimate goal with the car: I wanna be fast as f*ck. I will also tell you how much I paid for everything since everyone asks. Currently right round 41000 miles

Current Mods (and "mOdS") in order of installation:
  1. Cobb Catback Exhaust missing one resonator (Bought off local forum member-then traded with friend [Christian I know you're reading this])-$350[note- dronier and louder than expected]
  2. Removed Intake Cover and can't find it now- $Free.99
  3. Swift Spec R- $340 including tax[wanted something that retained factory spring rate ratio and offered linear springs; absolutely satisfied]
  4. Bridgestone Potenza s04 pole position in 245/40/18-$700[softer and less ultimate grip but didn't get greasy as fast as eagle f1]
  5. Steeda Rear Sway Bar-$75[Bought off craigslist, can't recommend enough]
  6. Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 18x8 +40-$420 [Including Hubcentric rings (put anti-seize on this *****). Bought off craigslist. Slightly Curbed in Anthracite. Proceeded to plastidip white.]
  7. 25mm ebay spacers-$75 [installed for 2 min before I realized the rub was terrible.]
  8. Strafe Side Skirts-$125 [Took like 6 months to come in and looks diy af can't recommend]
  9. Ebay Front Lip-$60 [Hit a tire carcass on the highway @55 in a month and cracked the lip luckily bumper was ok]. Note: I went through 3 of these before I just took everything except the wing extension off
  10. Ebay 3d printed 3/8th inch pedal spacer-$20 [This is my first manual car but would probably be easier to heel toe if it were slightly taller than this one]
  11. Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R 235/40/18-$550 [2017 stock bought from tire rack unbelievably grippy but greasy on track after 15 min. Mounted on stock wheels, hpde setup lasted 3-4ish track days and maybe like 2000 miles not really sticky after the first 2 trackdays]
  12. Tint from canlas-$200 - 35 front 15 for the rest
  13. Depo Racing 5.5 Intercooler-$460 incl. tax [Wanted the big intercooler look, highly recommend]
  14. Mishimoto Non-Thermo Oil Cooler-$200 [Bought off local fb group member, keeps temps low on track]
  15. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar-$Free.99 [My man with the oil cooler sold his ST and had this laying around what a great guy]
  16. Megan Racing Catless Downpipe- $160 [It used to be loud, now it's LOUD. Kinda the same under 3000. When the wastegate opens, it screams. Slightly different tonal qualities. Can hear turbo spool]
  17. NGK Iridium Spark Plugs-$45 (Get these from Rock Auto they're under 30 for a set so I bought an extra 2)
  18. Hawk DTC60 Front pads and Motul RBF600-$200[Racecar squeal, work on the track, brakes still smoking after last session on track]
  19. 91 Panda Motorworks Tune on Accessport-$550[Wonderful people, no pop bang, right around 260 whp and 350 wtq on the vdyno after 3 revisions. Full custom tune included with purchase of AP]-Stock atm
  20. JBR Stage 2 Rear Motor Mount-$135[Holy racecar. NVH turned up for first 300 miles, settled down after that]
  21. Maxton Design Wing Extension-$160[Bought off amazon looks great from some angles, too subtle from others]
  22. 3 Track days with Turn8 Track Days [Don't forget about driver mod! $450ish total but I won't include this in build]
  23. Ebay Passat Front Lip-$60[Guy on reddit had it and it looked great, also cheap]
  24. Feal 441+Road Race Spec-$1550- Got 11k f 16k r spring rates and I’d def go softer than this if the car is dailyed although I haven’t gotten to test the bottom 5 clicks of dampening. My back hurts after >2hrs of driving unless it’s at the track or the smooth backroads. However on track and on these backroads this car is so much faster especially since they were tuned around 200 tw tires. Now that I finally have a good alignment they should be even faster.
  25. Schroth QuickFit Pro-$250 bought off a friend
  26. Used Nt03s with Nt555G2, 265/35/18 on a 18x9.5-$900[Wider, lighter wheels feel much better even though these tires are awful]
  27. Massive Speed Camber Arms-$207
  28. Massive Speed Rear Endlinks-$140
  29. 265/35/18 Hankook RS4-$810(including all fees no install)-Longest lasting 200 tw tire and cheaper than anywhere else from Vivid Racing. I price matched it at the America Tire down the street.
In the first year of ownership, I would commonly go to Highway 9, Skyline, and Redwood Road. Tires would get slightly greasy and brakes slightly soft. Near the end of the Eagle F1's life, I had a moment on 9 where a tree went from being at my 3' o clock to my 12' o clock. Wasn't even going fast but was slightly damp. Some quick corrective steering and throttle kept me from ****ting myself. That's when I knew I needed a Rear sway bar that didn't bind. Went to ST Octane Academy April 2019. Unbelievably fun, everything I expected. Went to my first trackday at Thunderhill West on 10/10/20. Ran a 1:33.027 according to the Trackaddict app on my phone. Last session of the day after being held up for 2,3 laps by a 996 911, finally had clear air. Tire pressures hot were 30psi Front and 32psi rear. This was with the swift spring setup. After this, I realized I needed camber and a stiffer spring setup and purchased the coilovers. Also kinda regretted getting springs after having slight rub and no adjustability earlier in ownership. Going back again on 11/28 and hoping to do better after I went on some ridealongs. Also scheduled to go to Buttonwillow on 12/13. Next is probably a set of Mag Blue Nt03s. I've been eyeing those for a minute now. Paired with some 255 or 265 federal 595 rsrr or rspro is ideal. Also, although I am not sponsored by anyone, I would like to shoutout Turn8 Trackdays. My track experience was ridiculously fun and their events are highly affordable. They also have tons of connections and can help you get a discount on almost anything. If I were to do it again, I would track it with only an intercooler and brake pads and fluid. Then mod from there based off what you think the car needs. At the end of the day it’s not a real sports car so don’t go too extreme. Just buy a Miata and use this as a daily.

Buy some power tools and the car becomes a lot easier to work on. The Focus community is what you make out of it and I've had a great time thus far.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,971 Posts
Welcome (unofficially) and nice build!

Unrelated but i freaking LOVE the deck driveway into the garage. So cool.

Reactions: jwoo6

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I think this picture shows it off a little better if you check out @bryanxay on Instagram, he’s the one I stole the idea off of. It is basically this link. The ebay vendor I chose was from China so it took 3 months to come in so watch out for that.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
473 Posts
Beautiful Car. I looked up that track to see what kinda times were good on it. You did quite well in that FoST.
Nice work.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
473 Posts
Ebay Passat Front Lip-$60[Guy on reddit had it and it looked great, also cheap]
I'm looking for this Mod. Yours does look amazing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Y’all can find the lip at the link above or if you just search Passat lip on eBay you can find them in a variety of looks (either fake cf or gloss black)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also want to credit my friend @abhandari2 on Instagram for all the non iPhone pics I have of my car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Curious as to how the Megan racing catless dp has held up? Have you ran into any problems with it? I’m hoping to go with a catless dp on my 14’ focus st but I haven’t found much info on catless dp

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious as to how the Megan racing catless dp has held up? Have you ran into any problems with it? I’m hoping to go with a catless dp on my 14’ focus st but I haven’t found much info on catless dp
It's alright. I've only had it for 4,5 months. If you look at downpipes some of them have a bracket and hangers and some rely solely on the hangers. The Megan Racing catless is the latter considering it's one of the cheaper ones. The bushings on that downpipe hanger mount are now blown and the car makes a humming/whining on throttle. I just turn the music up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also went to Thunderhill West again with the coilovers on. Amateurly adjusted by me and given a rudimentary alignment. Fastest time of the day was a 1:31.86
in the open pit session at the end of the day. Tried to go faster but spun out on Turn 6 carrying too much speed. Nothing really damaged other than my front lip. So far both my front lips have lasted me roughly 1 month. That's why I won't buy an expensive one.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
473 Posts
I feel like your 1/3rd of your PASSAT front lip left you on the track

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Managed to find some nt03s in 18x9.5 with 265/35/18 nitto nt555 on fb for $1000. Also replaced the Passat lip with a new one. After 4 track days and roughly 3-4000 miles my spark plugs seem to have s*** the bed. At Laguna Seca right in my first session, car started misfiring. Like 100 misfires in that one lap and it sputtered on throttle. Came back in and regapped the plugs (they were at .032 btw) and flashed to stock tune. Still sputtering even when I was just putting around the parking lot. Went back to panda tune and then back to stock. It stopped sputtering at low speeds but still misfires under wot under load. I then swapped back to the panda tune as it gets rid of the catless and shutters cel. Now it’s been a couple weeks since then and I haven’t been driving the car. Ordered some new plugs since it’s still occasionally misfiring under wot. Anyone else experience this? If it matters I accidentally ran the fuel pump dry twice on accident at buttonwillow because the fuel was sloshing around the tank.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts