Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2014 FoST yesterday, after driving Mazdaspeed 3's for the past 8 years. I figured there would be more aftermarket support with this platform, and from what I've seen so far I haven't been disappointed.

From what I can tell, the previous owner was a big fan of Cobb. They installed a Cobb intake, short shift plate, and exhaust (cat back at least, haven't been under the car yet to check). It also has Swift springs, and handles quite nicely. I can hear ricer sounds when I let off on the throttle, so it might have an aftermarket BPV. And finally, the FMIC might be aftermarket; the only reason I say that is the yellow cold side coupler to the intake manifold is yellow.

I'm looking forward to making friends in this community, I'm pretty sure I know some of you already.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Welcome to the community. I am sure you are going to love it over here. What happened to the Speed 3????

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the community. I am sure you are going to love it over here. What happened to the Speed 3????
A suburban behind me failed to stop in time, pushed me into the car in front of me.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Oh boy! that is horrific. of course it was a suburban....might as well been a sherman tank

Reactions: btstarcher

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome over. One good platform to another.

Did the car come with a tuner or any details on it being tuned?

I can't tell exactly if that's the shift bracket or a sound symposer delete in one of the pictures.

I would guess aftermarket FMIC. The stock one doesn't look that shiny.

Is it an ST1 (cloth) or ST2 (partial leather Recaros)?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome over. One good platform to another.

Did the car come with a tuner or any details on it being tuned?

I can't tell exactly if that's the shift bracket or a sound symposer delete in one of the pictures.

I would guess aftermarket FMIC. The stock one doesn't look that shiny.

Is it an ST1 (cloth) or ST2 (partial leather Recaros)?
I believe it had a tune at one time. It looks like a AP was mounted on the dash.

Where is the symposer? This really looks like the shift bracket to me.

It's leather, so I guess it's an ST2. I was a little surprised it doesn't have navigation. That or I just haven't figured out how to use it yet. That's just as likely lol

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Nobody has done much of the confirming, so allow me to just confirm a few right off the bat for ya @btstarcher:

That's a Cobb short shift plate for sure

CPE Intercooler (aftermarket) (can't tell by the picture which one..there is a 3.5" thick and 5.5" thick one.

Cobb Cold Air intake (I have the same one)

I'd suspect that's a Cobb Catback Exhaust (boomy and loud...a little too much drone for me)

If it sounds like the BOV/BPV is venting into the atmosphere it's probably definitely upgraded...if it's just recirculating it could still be stock. If it's pretty audible then I'm going with aftermarket. Also, I don't think it's rice :cool: I have the loudest one they make and there is nothing rice about it since it isn't fake, and it's relieving 23.5psi...that's a little more impressive than Johnny Boy's 1.5L Civic down the block with a BOV :p

That piping leading into your throttle body is definitely not stock (the yellow piping) and I'd guess it's CP-E, but could easily be wrong on brand.

Without seeing underneath I can't attest to the rest of the exhaust or the Rear Motor Mount (probably upgraded). If you take the top off your airbox I bet there is an upgraded cone filter in there (more turbo noise and that's a about the best upgrade you can do to the intake. Without a tune none of those mods do anything anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was once tuned.

Also, it looks to me your sound symposer is deleted. Good riddance, honestly, but it's worth mentioning. I don't suspect there is an oil catch can or anything down in there hiding, since I don't see any bits of it in the picture unless it's hiding behind something or behind the engine cover.

Oh, and one last thing...I can't tell for sure, but I think you're low on coolant ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Man good find! You are lucky and picked one up with some great parts! Hopefully there is a cobb or CP-e Rear motor mount under there! But I can confirm that you have some type of CP-e FMIC with the cold side pipe at least, if you open your hood up and look just behind the head light on the driver side you should be able to see the charge pipe coming into the FMIC. If its yellow like the cold side you a CP-e pipe, if its black rubber its stock.

Actually looking that the picture with the cold side pipe I think I see the yellow hot side. But either way welcome to the forums and sorry to see your MS3 all destroyed like that

Reactions: btstarcher

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! Lots of good information!

I received a welcome PM, but it was nothing like the one I received at mazdaspeeds.org. Then again, I'm still using Tapatalk to navigate, so I'm probably missing something. I actually wanted to post this in an introduction subforum but couldn't find one.

Plans for the car include Damond mounts all around (currently still have the trilogy in pink from my speed), upgraded sway bar(s), possibly Ground Control coilovers with stiffer springs (Swifts are great but I like it stiff), turbo-back exhaust (might end up selling Cobb; sounds and drones like a bumblebee), and I need to research a bit on supporting mods to run an EFR71xx turbo. Also possibly some more chassis bracing, if I can find some.

Is there a sticky for known issues? I.E. like the HPFP in the DISI, uneven flowing intake manifold, etc.?

Oh and a couple quick questions: what's the stock boost set at? I see up to around 22 or 23psi. It also takes much longer to warm up than the Mazda, just judging by the temp gauge and oil pressure. My Mazda was at operating temperature before I left my subdivision (maybe 3-5 minutes), but with the FoST, it's not warm until I'm on the interstate (over 10 minutes). CEL isn't on, but I don't know if these cars throw a code for faulty thermostat.

Thanks very much for your help so far. I promise I'm not trying to be spoon-fed information; it's just difficult to navigate and browse without a computer, and my employer blocked almost all internet access a few weeks ago. And I'm either working or sleeping these days. Lots of OT.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I remember when the 2.0L EcoBoost in the FoST was first introduced, and I had a theory. I was thinking that with the shorter stroke, the rods would be less "fragile" than those in the DISI. This is important because I went through 4 or 5 motors in my Genwin. Was I right? Or should I start planning to build it?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Looks like the cp-e intercooler. The larger one has the stencil. If you could get a picture of the full front straight on it would be easier to tell. The charge pipes also look to be cp-e. Only ones that come in the TS color unless the previous owner painted them.

Sent from another galaxy.
My 3.5" Lightweight also has a stencil.

Thanks guys! Lots of good information!

Oh and a couple quick questions: what's the stock boost set at? I see up to around 22 or 23psi. It also takes much longer to warm up than the Mazda, just judging by the temp gauge and oil pressure. My Mazda was at operating temperature before I left my subdivision (maybe 3-5 minutes), but with the FoST, it's not warm until I'm on the interstate (over 10 minutes). CEL isn't on, but I don't know if these cars throw a code for faulty thermostat.

Thanks very much for your help so far. I promise I'm not trying to be spoon-fed information; it's just difficult to navigate and browse without a computer, and my employer blocked almost all internet access a few weeks ago. And I'm either working or sleeping these days. Lots of OT.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I remember when the 2.0L EcoBoost in the FoST was first introduced, and I had a theory. I was thinking that with the shorter stroke, the rods would be less "fragile" than those in the DISI. This is important because I went through 4 or 5 motors in my Genwin. Was I right? Or should I start planning to build it?

Stock boost should peak at around 21psi. If it goes over 21psi then the car has a tune on it currently. Being a 2014 like mine, our gauge maxes out at 25psi. It should touch a hair above the 3/4 mark. With my tune it goes to ~7/8 of the gauge in 4th gear and Accessport has me peaking at about 23.5 on my Stratified tune.

Optimum temp is about the middle of the gauge, but it's typically recommended to take it easy on the car until you hit the first mark (1/4 mark on the gauge). This includes staying out of boost, staying below ~3k rpm, etc. Obviously it's a bad idea to idle the car and try to warm it up, best practice is to let her run for like 45 seconds until it comes off high idle then set out. Car warms much faster driving calmly than sitting of course. Takes me roughly 7 miles each morning (10 minutes of driving is about right) to hit the 1/4 mark, then if I want to "get to work in a hurry" I can start getting on it.

Car sounds like it's behaving normally other than your boost. If you are seeing above 21psi then you have a tune and it sounds like you do NOT have a tuner (such as the accessport).

The last bit about rods, I will say that we have people over 400whp and 400ft/lb torque on stock internals and it performs absolutely fine for quite some time. If you're looking to exceed 500whp then I'd recommend building, and so would most of our tuners/experienced owners.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 3.5" Lightweight also has a stencil.

Stock boost should peak at around 21psi. If it goes over 21psi then the car has a tune on it currently. Being a 2014 like mine, our gauge maxes out at 25psi. It should touch a hair above the 3/4 mark. With my tune it goes to ~7/8 of the gauge in 4th gear and Accessport has me peaking at about 23.5 on my Stratified tune.

Optimum temp is about the middle of the gauge, but it's typically recommended to take it easy on the car until you hit the first mark (1/4 mark on the gauge). This includes staying out of boost, staying below ~3k rpm, etc. Obviously it's a bad idea to idle the car and try to warm it up, best practice is to let her run for like 45 seconds until it comes off high idle then set out. Car warms much faster driving calmly than sitting of course. Takes me roughly 7 miles each morning (10 minutes of driving is about right) to hit the 1/4 mark, then if I want to "get to work in a hurry" I can start getting on it.

Car sounds like it's behaving normally other than your boost. If you are seeing above 21psi then you have a tune and it sounds like you do NOT have a tuner (such as the accessport).

The last bit about rods, I will say that we have people over 400whp and 400ft/lb torque on stock internals and it performs absolutely fine for quite some time. If you're looking to exceed 500whp then I'd recommend building, and so would most of our tuners/experienced owners.
Thanks. I literally just found the introduction subforum, perfect for noobs like me. In Tapatalk, there's 2 FoST forums; this is the one I chose, but the other one looks like more general information. I really need to get on my laptop.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Thanks. I literally just found the introduction subforum, perfect for noobs like me. In Tapatalk, there's 2 FoST forums; this is the one I chose, but the other one looks like more general information. I really need to get on my laptop.

As someone who doesn't use Tapatalk, I'm always looking at the desktop version and can't relate too much there.

In regards to your common issues question above, I'll say that typically what blows these cars up is related to either a bad tune or driver error such as LSPI. I'm sure you're familiar with the term and how NOT to have that happen? Provided to maintain a proper tune and drive without lugging and straining the engine, it's a solid platform for sure. Been full bolt-on and tuned for around 30k miles now with 0 issues.

Edit: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/17529-blown-motor-resource-thread.html

Here is our blown motor resource thread created by one of our most notable tuners with Stratified Automotive. As you'll find, a large number of the issues are probably related to the fact the owners had Cobb OTS tunes, of which a large number of us here (myself included) are against. If you buy the accessport FROM the tuner in question you typically get either a free tune (specific to your mods/car...vs the Cobb OTS being generic for ALL cars) or a heavily discounted tune offer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As someone who doesn't use Tapatalk, I'm always looking at the desktop version and can't relate too much there.

In regards to your common issues question above, I'll say that typically what blows these cars up is related to either a bad tune or driver error such as LSPI. I'm sure you're familiar with the term and how NOT to have that happen? Provided to maintain a proper tune and drive without lugging and straining the engine, it's a solid platform for sure. Been full bolt-on and tuned for around 30k miles now with 0 issues.

Edit: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/17529-blown-motor-resource-thread.html

Here is our blown motor resource thread created by one of our most notable tuners with Stratified Automotive. As you'll find, a large number of the issues are probably related to the fact the owners had Cobb OTS tunes, of which a large number of us here (myself included) are against. If you buy the accessport FROM the tuner in question you typically get either a free tune (specific to your mods/car...vs the Cobb OTS being generic for ALL cars) or a heavily discounted tune offer.
I've followed Lex on the Mazdaspeed forums for years, and I'm definitely not going to use a canned tune. I've been happy with Will at Purple Drank, so I'll ask him how experienced he is with this platform. I know he's worked with several Mustangs.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I've followed Lex on the Mazdaspeed forums for years, and I'm definitely not going to use a canned tune. I've been happy with Will at Purple Drank, so I'll ask him how experienced he is with this platform. I know he's worked with several Mustangs.

I don't specifically know of Will, but Purple Drank is in fact one of the tuners that get thrown around on here.

Check out my tuner sticky that I created here: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ur-car-what-your-options-look-no-further.html

Also, check out some of the other stickies within the performance section as well as some may benefit you! Focus ST Performance

1 - 20 of 56 Posts