Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So one of the first modifications I made to my ST was the JBR TRU-3.0 Wide Path Full Intake. Everything went relatively smoothly aside from the PCV-to-intake connection at the rear of the intake tube, which just seemed odd. The intake has a roughly 1" bung on the back and came with a 3" length of rubber hose (slips over the bung), two clamps, and a 1" PVC insert coupling that, presumably, was supposed to connect to the PCV quick-connect.

This is a picture of the PCV quick connect I'm talking about:
PCV-Line-1.jpg

The JBR-supplied coupling looks sorta like this:
b0e61546-60c2-4afc-847e-686ac8923738_1000.jpg

So it goes PCV quick-connect --> JBR 1" coupler --> 1" hose --> 1" intake bung

Anyway, the coupling JBR provided kinda-sorta seemed to clip into the PCV quick-connect, but didn't seem to engage fully no matter how hard I tried. I didn't think anything of it until a few days ago when a CEL popped: P04DB (Crankcase Ventilation System Disconnected). After an initial scare not understanding why my <1000 mile ST was throwing a code, I remembered the weird PCV connection. I checked under the hood and lo and behold, the PCV quick-connect had popped off the JBR-supplied insert coupling.

The insert coupling was severely warped (presumably from heat) and wouldn't mate back up to the PCV quick-connect. I managed to heat and re-form the coupling, and then used a Dremel to trim down the ID so I could get it back on the PCV quick-connect. This is a stopgap solution at best, though, and I need to figure out a permanent fix for this.

Has anyone else had issues with this connection? Where can I get a replacement coupling that will hold up to the heat back there?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
So one of the first modifications I made to my ST was the JBR TRU-3.0 Wide Path Full Intake. Everything went relatively smoothly aside from the PCV-to-intake connection at the rear of the intake tube, which just seemed odd. The intake has a roughly 1" bung on the back and came with a 3" length of rubber hose (slips over the bung), two clamps, and a 1" PVC insert coupling that, presumably, was supposed to connect to the PCV quick-connect.

This is a picture of the PCV quick connect I'm talking about:
View attachment 290162

The JBR-supplied coupling looks sorta like this:
View attachment 290202

So it goes PCV quick-connect --> JBR 1" coupler --> 1" hose --> 1" intake bung

Anyway, the coupling JBR provided kinda-sorta seemed to clip into the PCV quick-connect, but didn't seems to engage fully no matter how hard I tried. I didn't think anything of it until a few days ago when CEL popped: P04DB (Crankcase Ventilation System Disconnected). After an initial scare not understanding why my <1000 mile ST was throwing a code, I remembered the weird PCV connection. Checked under the hood and lo and behold, the PCV quick-connect had popped off the JBR-supplied insert coupling.

The insert coupling was severely warped and wouldn't mate back up to the PCV quick-connect. I tried to heat and re-form the coupling, and then used a Dremel to trim down the ID so I could get it back on the PCV quick-connect. This is a stopgap solution at best, though, and I need to figure out a permanent fix for this.

Has anyone else had issues with this connection? Where can I get a replacement coupling that will hold up to the heat back there?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Damn, at one point I was going to rig up an intake side OCC connection and asked JBR for their catch can coupler, I was quoted around $30 so I passed. I would hope they were not going to sell me the cheap generic non-quick connect coupler you just pictured. I would definitely ask them about it.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I bought their PCV side kit and had no issues with it, other than my hands are large'ish (I'm 6' 2'') and it was really hard to reach in between the head and the intake and reconnect the lines.

Mine came with everything needed, but it did not come with that barbed piece for splicing hose... So I'm sort of curious.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
JBR support was great when I had questions or needed to switch from the top mount to the bottom with my catch can. Give them a call or shoot them a email I'm sure they will take care of you.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought their PCV side kit and had no issues with it, other than my hands are large'ish (I'm 6' 2'') and it was really hard to reach in between the head and the intake and reconnect the lines.

Mine came with everything needed, but it did not come with that barbed piece for splicing hose... So I'm sort of curious.
Yeah, I'm not sure mine came with the wrong piece or what. I'm hoping someone else that has bought their CAI will chime in - seems like not a lot of folks have it.

You can definitely buy metal versions of that barbed coupler for a few bucks, but it’s not a quick connect fitting.
I don't think the coupling they provided was designed for that quick-connect fitting, though - that's the weird part. It's a Lasco 1" fitting, and appears to just be schedule 40 PVC. Definitely not intended for use in a hot engine bay.

JBR support was great when I had questions or needed to switch from the top mount to the bottom with my catch can. Give them a call or shoot them a email I'm sure they will take care of you.
Tried calling them Friday about a shipping error and Saturday about this, but no response. Hopefully I hear something back today.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
For the PCV side kit I received, it was just a simple disconnect and connect deal, no splicing.

Something like :disconnect PCV line from intake side, connect JBR supplied line to PCV line, Connect JBR line to Intake side, mount can, an done. This was the bottom mount option.

I will be getting the valve cover side one eventually.

Reactions: oVrKiLL

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JBR is sending me a new connector. They were pretty emphatic that the connector shouldn't have failed in the first place, and that they "strongly suspect" that my PCV line is damaged because the connector should've easily mated with it.

I guess we'll see when it comes in!

·
Super Moderator
9,523 Posts
Looks to me that they sent you the PVC hook up for an early build ST. I have a 2013 and the connection is not a quick disconnect, but slip on. I'm not sure when Ford changed over the the quick disconnect fitting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts