Ford Focus ST Forum banner

JBR cable bushings

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  G heinrich 
#1 ·
I replaced my cable bushings a few weeks ago with JBR's set, and the results were fantastic. Until today, that is. I was driving home in heavy traffic on the highway when suddenly my clutch started slipping. I immediately assumed the worst and thought I had some transmission problems, despite having less than 20k miles. I just tuned the car a week ago, so that further contributed to my paranoia. I pulled over into the shoulder and it dawned on me that the only reasonable explanation was the clutch cable came unattached. I took a peak in, and sure enough that was the issue. The threaded male half of the bushing was still on the post, but somehow managed to work it's way out of the female half. I had some wrenches in the car, so I pulled the airbox and threw it back together.

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this issue. I'm not sure how it even came loose in the first place. The only explanation I can come up with is the vibrations from the motor mount that I installed last week caused the bushing to rattle loose. I'm probably going to blue loctite it together just for some peace of mind.

#6 ·
So about 2 weeks after applying some blue loctite to the threads, the same thing happened again. I really didn't think the blue would work its way out, but it managed. I should have just went with red from the get-go, but working on machines for a living has trained me to not assemble things that I won't be able to get apart again if needed. I've been on the receiving end of too many headaches caused by the last mechanic to work on something before me.

#9 ·
Make sure you have them threaded together enough to it should be fairly hard to pop it back on the ball. Really hard to pry it off with a bar. Extradited I haven't had any issues over the last almost a year-and-a-half the cable and bushings have been and I did use a red loctite also. I thought about drilling a small hole through them and you putting some safety wire through it. But like I said I haven't had any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.