Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SEE #4 FOR MOD LIST AND MODS TO BUY

Hey guys, czmabe here. I've been lurking for a while and am now finally deciding to get around to posting my build thread.

Purchased around the middle of August for my 22nd birthday (thanks Grandma!), I've been enjoying it ever since. Shortly after purchasing the car, literally the next day, my engine shut off as I was getting off the highway. One hour, a good Samaritan, and one loving fiancee later, I was able to get the engine turned over and drove to my dealership. The following morning I was told that it was a vapor management valve that had gone bad and hoops had to be jumped through in order to replace it for free. It was replaced and I got my friend back.

Showcased photo from the dealership.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Hatchback

Fast forward about a month and a half and decided to put a catback exhaust on him. Didn't get many in terms of pictures there, but I got one of the finished product.
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system

Fast forward another month and James now has a tow strap! Questionable on whether or not it will be practical since I live in North Carolina, but we will see how it turns out. Plenty of pictures were taken this time, some even featuring my fiancee.
Vehicle Musical instrument

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel City car

I have a lot more planned for this car. As of today, 11/20, I have an intake kit from Deporacing on the way, as well as the Cobb short throw shift plate on the way as well. Not to mention the clutch spring from Steeda coming too. Pretty much all I'll have left soon is to buy a FMIC and an downpipe, plus the Accessport then I will be ready to tune this bad boy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just realized I forgot to include a list of parts on the car...oops.

Currently have:
MBRP 3" Catback Exhaust
Cobb Exhaust Hangars
Cobb Rear Motor Mount
Green Filter
Rally Armour Mud Flaps
Steeda Symposer Delete
Deporacing Intake Kit
Steeda Clutch Spring
Cobb Short Throw Shift Plate
Cobb Accessport v3 w/ Stratified 93 Octane Flash Tune

And the list of mods to buy:
Levels Performance Front Mount Intercooler
Turbosmart BOV (Eventually going with Tial or HKS)
FSWerks Front Stress Bar
FSWerks Rear Sway Bar
Mountune Sport Springs
Redline Tuning Hood Strut Kit
Velossa Big Mouth Snorkel
Steeda Oil Separator Kit

Also, have a picture of a friend I made at Cookout about a week ago
Vehicle Wall Vehicle door Car Road

·
Registered
781 Posts
Nice car and mods, like the roof wrap. Keep us update :big smile:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Actually bought the car with the roof that way as well as the front emblems on the front and back blacked out. I'm currently hoping I'll get an ST badge to overlay black and the black ecoboost decal for Christmas!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some goodies in the mail today! I wonder what they could be...

Envelop contains Steeda clutch spring...

Box contains my intake kit from Deporacing!

Hella excited to get this installed, I was gonna wait for my Cobb sts plate but I think I'll go ahead and get this done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't wait to until next week to install so I went ahead and got both the clutch spring and intake done today. All in all, took maybe around an hour to get the intake swapped.

Got the first stock intake tube out, super simple and straight forward.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

The real pain was getting the second half of the stock tube out. I didn't take off the cowl and certainly didn't take the bottom portion of the cowl off until after this but it was a pain to get down into the engine bay and undo the stock clamp.
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

After plenty of fidgeting, I got the coupling onto the turbo and then realized I forgot to put the clamp on. Tightening up that clamp was fun.
Auto part Pipe Automotive exhaust Fuel line Engine

I didn't get any pictures of the test fit before putting the engine cover back on, so here is the final product!
Vehicle Auto part Car City car Engine

Super pleased so far even though I have not driven it much today. Only 3 more things to go and I'll be able to go stage 3!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So this piece of my symposer fell out while I was on my way to work today. Do I need this part or can I leave it out? Also if I do need it, does anyone have suggestions on how to get it to stay in place?

·
Registered
387 Posts
So this piece of my symposer fell out while I was on my way to work today. Do I need this part or can I leave it out? Also if I do need it, does anyone have suggestions on how to get it to stay in place?

Have you deleted your symposer? I didn't see any reference about it on the previous page. That's the elbow connector that goes from the firewall to the symposer tube. If you don't have the symposer any more then you are free to take it out. I plugged the hole up, some kits come with their own others you have to improvise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you deleted your symposer? I didn't see any reference about it on the previous page. That's the elbow connector that goes from the firewall to the symposer tube. If you don't have the symposer any more then you are free to take it out. I plugged the hole up, some kits come with their own others you have to improvise.
Yes, I completely forgot that I had deleted my symposer. I wasn't sure if I had to keep that part since it had the block off part for what attached to the firewall. Editing that post now

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my Cobb STS plate yesterday and installed in this morning. Took around 40 minutes, although 10 minutes of install time was struggling to get the stock air box in lol.

Pretty much done for now until I can find another used intercooler for a reasonable price OR I bite the bullet and buy a new one. Gotta find a new apartment first.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the Cobb short shifter and the bottom rubbed the metal under the shift arm so every time the arm moved back it would rub and make shifting into even gears harder than odd gears. Just watch out for that.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I had the Cobb short shifter and the bottom rubbed the metal under the shift arm so every time the arm moved back it would rub and make shifting into even gears harder than odd gears. Just watch out for that.
View attachment 293338
Mine did this too. I removed it because of this problem. OP, glad to see I wasn't the only one who struggled with the stupid freaking airbox haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm having mixed feelings on the short throw shifter and I've had it installer since Friday. I like how short the throws are and love how tight it is, but it feels like shifting is clunky now. I haven't had a lot of trouble shifting but I've heard concerning noises when shifting. I don't know. I'm giving it another week.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The 1st to 2nd shift was soooo hard and some times it wouldn't go into gear; from that moment I knew the Accessport is the only product I'll ever buy from Cobb.
I even tired to grind some of the material away but still didn't work.
Tip: you can take it out without removing the shift arm, my shifter arm pin didn't budge at all so I had to improvise.
Automotive exterior

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys, I'm totally clueless when it comes to purchasing an Accessport. I know I want to do a 93 octane tune and probably E30 once I get the last of my performance parts in. What all should I go with? I'm looking at Stratified's website and a lot of it is Greek to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts