Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new 2017 ST2 in Shadow Black this afternoon. Needed something that was more practical but still sporty and fun and landed on this. Put the first 30 miles on the car and its definitely fun and sporty.
Looking forward to learning more about the car and its abilities.
The kid next door who seems to know more about the car than I do at this moment says a catch can is a must right off the bat...True?? Any other things I should do to improve longevity?

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just picked up my new 2017 ST2 in Shadow Black this afternoon. Needed something that was more practical but still sporty and fun and landed on this. Put the first 30 miles on the car and its definitely fun and sporty.
Looking forward to learning more about the car and its abilities.
The kid next door who seems to know more about the car than I do at this moment says a catch can is a must right off the bat...True?? Any other things I should do to improve longevity?

Thanks in advance for the help
Welcome to the ST world! A catch can will help prevent oil blowback into the intake.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Welcome! The catch can isn't needed, but only helps. I am sure you can read the 100's of pages on it and get properly confused!

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome.
A catch can is NOT needed, but a Short-shifter and solid bushing are a MUST! :wink:
Enjoy, and Keep it shiny!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good. I'm new to this type of car...FWD, Turbos, etc...I've got a 89 Saleen Mustang in the garage next to the ST. I've had my fair share of muscle cars. But I'm really impressed with the power this ST has and how fun it is to drive.
Just put the pooch in the car. Need something to cover the rear bumper. She missed on her first attempt and her paws are like sandpaper on the paint. I'll have to see whats out there to protect it. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Sounds good. I'm new to this type of car...FWD, Turbos, etc...I've got a 89 Saleen Mustang in the garage next to the ST. I've had my fair share of muscle cars. But I'm really impressed with the power this ST has and how fun it is to drive.
Just put the pooch in the car. Need something to cover the rear bumper. She missed on her first attempt and her paws are like sandpaper on the paint. I'll have to see whats out there to protect it. Any suggestions?
I'm for pics of the ST and the Saleen side by side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome! Great color choice! Be warned, I did the same thing. Got rid of my Mustang and bought this car because it was going to be more practical. 4 doors and a 4 cylinder, right? Well I'm already chipping away at the gas mileage and doing my best to keep it pleasant to ride in. If you want to stay away from too much performance modding, do not buy a tune. If you're ready for a new project car, buy a tune. It's a night and day difference when you go from a stock eco-friendly tune to a aftermarket performance tune.

The oil catch can is an ever on-going hot debate. Lots of people swear by them, others swear they are pointless. If you install one, it will be full when you go to drain it, but the question becomes how much it really helped. Most of what you will catch is just water vapors, but there is definitely some amount of oil. Whether it actually helped or if it would have burnt up, and if a single catch can or even two catch cans is enough is all the debate. Personally, I installed one because the cost just isn't that much, and if it helps at all then great. If not, I wasted a couple hundred dollars, big deal. The nature of these direct injection engines come with a lot of concerns about keeping the valves clean, so I figure the cost is worth the attempt at helping the situation.

If you want to improve longevity though, there are a few simple steps. If you're like me, I can't think of another car I've had that had an oil temp gauge. In fact, even as a car guy I've been guilty of waiting for the water temp to rise and then giving it hell. Not so fast with a turbo though! Now that you have the oil temp gauge, live by it. Stay out of boost until it's at least a quarter of the way up. Mine usually doesn't reach halfway even with a little spirited driving, but once I start seeing some heat in the oil and I see my oil pressure drop (once it's warm, the oil pressure will only register about a third of the way up the gauge, sorry I don't know the exact numbers but knowing the visual at a glance is what matters), then I know I can start easing into it a little which will quickly warm it up the rest of the way and then you're good. And stay out of boost under 2500 RPMs as well. If you follow those rules, you'll at least give your engine it's best shot at a nice long life.

Also, agreed on the shifter upgrade. That was my first mod. An intercooler is a very good investment regardless of tune also. That's another thing that could help longevity if you like spirited driving. The stock intercooler can't even keep up with the stock tune, and that heat will definitely take a toll on the engine and the turbo over time.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Ask and you shall receive... View attachment 232601
Pay no mind to the messy garage. The Saleen just got all new Bilstiens, rear LCA's, H&R springs, suspension bushings, solid steering bushings, brake lines, rotors, calipers, and more this winter. Buttoning it all up soon.
Yaaaaaaasssssss!!! You da man!! That's awesome! Parts of me still wished I had my cobra, other parts have cheered ever since watching it drive away. I'll have another, just probably won't have the focus and it in the same stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is awesome! I sold my latest Mustang when I bought the Focus in anticipation of buying a house and starting a restoration project. A fox has always been on my list though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had a lot of different cars and trucks over the years. I bought the Saleen 16 years ago after my 71 Camaro that I spent 2 years restoring while I was in HS got smashed in the parking lot of my HS while was graduating. Never looked right to me after getting fixed so i sold it and bought the mustang. I had another fox-body that was purely a beater. The Saleen was my everyday nice weather driver for about 5 years, but It hasn't done anything more than a quick trip to the store in about 10 years. After buying a house, getting married, having a baby, selling my motorcycles...I figured the Saleen could hold a car seat and be enjoyable for the family. Maximum Motorsports and LMR have been awesome getting me all the needed parts to restore and improve the suspension.
I sold a 12 Chevrolet Colorado V8 for the Focus. This is my first time in my 18 years of driving not having a pick-up truck. My wife has an Equinox and I have a trailer so Im hoping to use that any time I need to pick up something large. Or I may just find a beater to take on a snowy day and to home depot.
Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome. Once the Saleen is complete and on the ground, I'll try and get some glamour shots of the two side by side.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I've had a lot of different cars and trucks over the years. I bought the Saleen 16 years ago after my 71 Camaro that I spent 2 years restoring while I was in HS got smashed in the parking lot of my HS while was graduating. Never looked right to me after getting fixed so i sold it and bought the mustang. I had another fox-body that was purely a beater. The Saleen was my everyday nice weather driver for about 5 years, but It hasn't done anything more than a quick trip to the store in about 10 years. After buying a house, getting married, having a baby, selling my motorcycles...I figured the Saleen could hold a car seat and be enjoyable for the family. Maximum Motorsports and LMR have been awesome getting me all the needed parts to restore and improve the suspension.
I sold a 12 Chevrolet Colorado V8 for the Focus. This is my first time in my 18 years of driving not having a pick-up truck. My wife has an Equinox and I have a trailer so Im hoping to use that any time I need to pick up something large. Or I may just find a beater to take on a snowy day and to home depot.
Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome. Once the Saleen is complete and on the ground, I'll try and get some glamour shots of the two side by side.
ha! you sound like me!!

I sold my Cobra to buy my 2500hd duramax... the dmax had 7" fabtech lift and 37's... kept it for 5 years, sold the dmax and bought the focus..LOL I have a 91 c1500 thats my restoration project, its got a 6.0 ls swap down and a new dash out of a 99 so its pretty interesting. BUT... getting married this year and money is crazy tight so its way back on the back burner for now :-(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh yeah, life gets in the way of toys and fun stuff. I sold a 09 Silverado LTZ when I bought my house and picked up the Colorado. The LTZ was the nicest thing I've ever owned. Pearl White, Readylift, Magnaflow side exit exhaust, diabloSport tuner, CAI, HID's, bed liner and hard cover...I cried when I left it at the dealer. Getting married and having a family is awesome. It was worth parting with the toys. And now that things are settled, I've found a more practical toy, and rekindled an old obsession.
back to the ST, I just ordered the Lamin-X rear bumper protector. Got a outdoor blanket to cover the rear and backside of the seats too...Hope it helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My plan of buying this car as an every day driver, kid and dog hauler, has already backfired on me. I'm looking at beater jeep cherokees and pick-ups so I don't have to drive it in the snow and put a muddy dog in it...I bought a big camping blanket thats moisture proof that covers the backs of the seats and the whole back of the car. Its big enough to where i can fold it over the bumper. Still, I don't want it getting messed up.
Also, just found out about the ST Octane Academy......looking at flights and schedule now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone have issues with navigation maps not loading. Its like every other time I get in the car. Last night, I got int the car at work, started it up and waited 5 mins or so for the map to load. When it wouldn't, I just started driving home. 25 miles later, map still wouldn't load. Software update?

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Anyone have issues with navigation maps not loading. Its like every other time I get in the car. Last night, I got int the car at work, started it up and waited 5 mins or so for the map to load. When it wouldn't, I just started driving home. 25 miles later, map still wouldn't load. Software update?
i would check for any sync 3 updates that may be available... other than that, i would take out the sdcard and put it back in. As elementary as that sounds sometime literally just reloading it and allowing it to refresh the data can do wonders. If neither of those do anything you may have a bad sdcard and ford will replace it for you.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i would check for any sync 3 updates that may be available... other than that, i would take out the sdcard and put it back in. As elementary as that sounds sometime literally just reloading it and allowing it to refresh the data can do wonders. If neither of those do anything you may have a bad sdcard and ford will replace it for you.
Sync3 doesn't use the same SD card system that Sync 2 does unfortunately. (Or fortunately, I guess depending on how you look at it)

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Sync3 doesn't use the same SD card system that Sync 2 does unfortunately. (Or fortunately, I guess depending on how you look at it)
well sh!t... thanks for the heads up, i had no idea. Assumed it worked the same way.

I wonder how you update maps... possibly a whole new update?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts